SEARCH FROM OVER 250 CINEMA 4D TUTORIALS

GSG Cast 02.11: Compare Yourself To The Best 16 Comments

Idea: Compare Yourself To The Best

Website and Challenge: Do Something Cool Everyday tinyurl.com/bz8yzs

Future: Ask questions you want answered or tutorials you want to see in the comments

BYE!

1. Nick – I’d love to see you go through a typical post-processing procedure for your photos. For example, I notice a lot of the work you post has a slightly unnatural and stylized hue to it and I’d be curious to see how you accomplish that look (aside from your camera gear and lenses).

cheers – enjoying the vidcast!

2. What Matthew said!

Also, regarding “comparing yourself to people who are better than you,” if you can answer the question of WHY creatives should persevere even in environments where there are many, many people better than them–in other words, answering “what’s the point?”–that might be helpful for pinpointing what you’re getting at. When you personally compare yourself to the best, how do you keep your eye on the prize instead of getting down on yourself or feeling insignificant?

3. The Gorilla

thegorilla

Good point Pete. I think, to drive closer to my point, having people better than you around lets you peek behind the curtain to see how GREAT work is done. It’s not a magic trick, and it can be learned. But, only if you are around the people that can teach you. Don’t keep yourself away from people better than you because you are jealous or they make you feel inadequate. You’re just kidding yourself, if you sit thinking you’re the best, when you’re not. That’s how you end up on American Idol thinking you can actually sing.

4. John Wiedenheft

I was intrigued by Nick’s comments about always comparing yourself to someone better. I think Nick did a good job of talking about from when you’re in school, to the people around you at work, to what other people around the country and world are doing better than you. However, I think something missing from this equation is that you should also be in an organization that does look forward on how to better themselves. Otherwise, it’s sometimes just banging your head against the brick wall.

5. Enjoying the GSG Cast’s. Great advice in this one too, something I’ve been thinking/talking about a lot lately. I agree there’s an unhealthy line where you can easily get down on yourself, but finding that balance is achievable. Learning from the best is essential, and the web has democratized that for some of us without that kind of access (smaller markets, etc).

As for tutorials, process, etc, I would like to see your insight on Mograph, any tips, maybe a breakdown of the techniques in the BB Bold commercial. I think a lot of people have an understanding of how to use Mograph in C4D, but execution can be tricky without lots of testing, etc. Plus, there aren’t many good tutorials on it.

6. Justin

Great point about surrounding yourself with someone better than you. I would love to work at an environment that would allow me to do that, unfortunately that is not the case. It’s frustrating that any learning is done truly by yourself, without being able to collab with others.

7. So you you’re against analog portfolios, but what if you’re asked to do an interview, would you have a hard copy prepared in that case or would you bring your laptop or what?

Also, when do you think Contrast is going to be ready because I’m shaking with anticipation.

8. This was a great GSG Cast, the best so far. Your commentary about “doing something everyday” and about “not being the best” at your job are spot on, and not just in the motion graphics or art world. Anyone with a craft (I’m a programmer) will benefit from this advice. Thanks a lot man.

9. A lot of what you say, like what Andrew mentions, could transcend to other careers. It’s flat out good career advice.

Surrounding yourself with someone/people better than you can be challenging sometimes. I’m not saying I’m the greatest, but in a company like mine, I am the only person with any sort of knowledge of motion graphics. It’s challenging at times, but with web portfolios and sites such as motionographer, mograph, or this blog (and events like Cut & Paste or F5), a lot can still be learned on your own.

10. New to your site, love it, rss’d it.

Curious as to how companies, like DK, or you personally, deal with file structures and file organization. Can be a beast of a topic since just about everyone has their own method but I haven’t really nailed mine down yet so I’m looking for some ideas, guidance, and or magic.

Thanks dood.

11. Hey Nick,

I’ve always been quick to learn the tools and technical bits, but I find I’m struggling more with the fundamentals of design. I’d love to know if there are some fundamental design books out there that you would recommend for someone who feels good as an animator, but wants to stretch out and become a better designer.

Thanks,

Scott

12. Hi Nick, One of my problem is similar to Scott. Right now I going to study medical science and designing, motion graphics, modeling and animations are my hobby. I have started doing them from mid 2008. The thing is that I want to work in this industry. What tips do you have for me? I want to learn how to design and really be able to tell the story.
    What should I do, If I study part time something from this field what should Study.
    Thanks

13. Jasper

Subscribed to the RRS Feed, this way I get inspired every day by someone who makes something cool every day.

I feel like with my 40 hour job week en playing basketball in the weekend I don’t have much time to do such a thing.

But I was that if I still was a student I did this. Really helphfull in the development of your creativity.

14. RaiulBaztepo

Hello!
    Very Interesting post! Thank you for such interesting resource!
    PS: Sorry for my bad english, I’v just started to learn this language ;)
    See you!