Where Did The Reflection Channel Go In R16?

Five Second Project – “Type Only” – Now With Prizes from Graymachine 109 Comments

UPDATE: The contest is closed and the winners are announced. Thanks for some really great work everybody. Our biggest turn out yet!

typeonly6003

Oh boy, it’s the moment we have been waiting for. This week’s Five Second Project is sponsored by Graymachine. You know what that means? PRIZES! Harry has graciously offered up prizes to get you in the motion making mood. Submit your entry and Harry and I will pick a winner whose project epitomizes the theme and shows and abundance of “overall-awesomeness.” THAT winner will win our grand prize, the entire Graymachine training series, including Trapcode Form Design Techniques, Trapcode Form Training, After Effects Expressions AND, Complete Training for Trapcode Particular!

But wait… there’s more.
Thats right TWO TWO TWO chances to win. Submit your Five Second Project, prize. We will pick a random Five Second Project entry to win the Digieffects Megasuite! This includes: Aurorix, Berserk, Delirium, Damage, Depth Cue, and Simulate Iluma & Simulate Camera.

Submitters: don’t forget to add a link to this post on your Vimeo video, so everyone can play along. Please add this link to your video to keep everyone up to date with the rules and deadlines: http://greyscalegorilla.com/blog/2009/05/15/five-second-project-type-only-now-with-prizes-from-graymachine/

What Are Five Second Projects?
We all want to make cool shit for our reel, right? Sometimes you just need a theme to get you started. Use the theme “Type Only” to make a five second motion piece and link it in the comments of this blog post. “Shout Box” submissions will not be found and will not be added to the channel. Please be sure to post a link in this post’s comments to ensure me seeing it.

It’s really great to see so much participation. Tell a friend about the five second projects and get them involved too. Don’t forget to push yourself to try something new every week. What about a new piece of software or technique you have wanted to try?

Bottom line… MAKE COOL SHIT!

Need some more help getting started? Check out my After Effects and Cinema 4D tutorials. Also check out our sponsor’s tutorials at graymachine.com.

Submit Your Entry Now…

1. Chris

Hi Nick,

Love you AE Tutorials, do you take requests? :)
    You’ve probably seen these guys http://www.hadlowpro.com/ they do some great work. I’m interested in how they make their camera moves look so convincing, the ones where the camera rapidly changes position or flies over the water quickly. Any ideas? TIA
    Chris

2. Superman in Training

What’s the theme? Or is it just anything using type.

3. Haha, I predicted the prize factor to sneek up into these projects. I think it’s great. I know 5 seconds was never really a set in stone length before so is that still arbitrary? 7,8,10 seconds still considered a valid entry?
    I look forward to seeing lots of folks ramp up their outputs here. You and Harry are going to have a tough time deciding on just, you can bet that.

4. Great Prices!! And I always wanted to do one of those cool type only animations. Now you gave me an awesome opportunity to make it.

5. Superman: Yeah, all projects should use ONLY type elements.

Ryan: All animations should be close to 5 seconds. Some wiggle room is acceptable. Just keep in the spirit of SHORT projects.

6. Wow… vimeo says that in “just” 5 hours it will start converting my video… They´re screaming at us to buy a premium account.

7. Gosia

Hey Nick – a question about the brief – can I include video provided its primary subject/protagonist is type? just trying to get my head around the, use type elements only, thing…

Thank you heaps for the 5 second project series btw, awesome way to get practice and critique :)

8. Sure Gosia: Just make sure that all of your elements in your animation are type. If its “just” video, make sure there is something more than just raw video going on. These projects are geared toward animation. But, stop motion, puppetry and marionettes on video will be accepted. Basically, don’t just make a “youtube” video and you will be fine.

9. tonyb

Hey Mister Nick, i already post my video but you forgot it…. you are victim of success…..i try another time,i erase the older adress to make changes…it’s now :

it’s a weekly pleasure to send a video….5 seconds project is a good “challenge idea”….

10. Hope not to late, but I live in Portugal and so by my account my clock time is more or less 5 hours ahead.
    Had also some flickering problems that could not resolve in time maybe you have a hint of what the problem was in c4d render, If you have please tell. I can send the c4d file to you.

11. Hey Nick,
    Here’s my 5 second project.
    The font, the whole font, and nothing but the font.

Best,
    James Wicks
    Zfx Studios
    South Florida

12. How do you embed the videos on this page from Vimeo in the slideshow format? I can’t find that option in Vimeo+