SEARCH FROM OVER 250 CINEMA 4D TUTORIALS

Five Second Projects Part 10: “Something Good, Something Bad” 59 Comments

somethinggoodsomethingbad600_2

This time, it’s all about constructive criticism. The theme for the week is “Something Good, Something Bad.” Submit a short project based on the theme. Then for the project you must comment on AT LEAST three other videos in the “Something Good, Something Bad.” Vimeo Channel. In the comments, say one thing that you like about their entry and one thing that could be better. Something Good and Something Bad.

After watching a piece, people have a tendency to say “Nice Work” (guilty) or “Wow, you animated that?” And, while it can be nice to hear encouraging words all day, it doesn’t do much to push you forward into better design and animation skills. Use these constructive comments to make your work better and better every time. Hopefully constructive criticism will continue though these Five Second Projects.

What is constructive criticism?
DON’T say “That Sucks.”
DO say “Great colors! The animation towards the end gets a little too fast. Try slowing it down.” Keep in mind, criticism can include ideas on how to make the piece better, not to insult their work. With that said, don’t be afraid to state your true opinion. Pulling punches isn’t helping. Expect me to be

What Are Five Second Projects?
We all want to make cool shit for our reel right? Sometimes you just need a theme to get you started. Use the theme “Something Good, Something Bad” to make a five second motion piece and link it in the comments of this blog post. “Shout Box” submissions will not be found and will not be added to the channel. Please be sure to post a link in this post’s comments to ensure me seeing it.

It’s really great to see so much participation. Tell a friend about the five second projects and get them involved too. Don’t forget to push yourself to try something new every week. What about a new piece of software or technique you have wanted to try?

DONT FORGET TO GIVE CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM!

Transform

1. Superman In Training

I really like the theme of this 5 sec project.Hopefully I can make time to have fun with it.
    It would have been nice for you to provide a direct link to the Vimeo in case some people haven’t been there before. =)

2. John Waddington

I instantly thought of Sergio Leone music i.e. The Good the Bad and the Ugly.

3. Now for my two cents on the theme, this directed at everyone. Personally I think some of these 5 second projects get taken to literally. In Hero, I didn’t think using the exact word Hero was expected but more so your own creative interpretation on what the word Hero means to you. Again in the last one, many people actually wrote out “Just Type”, or “Only Type” when in fact I strongly felt the piece was to only use typography and nothing else regardless of the mood or concept one came up with. More so in this theme. I never read it as animate a piece that must resemble something good / something bad. Sure give it a Ying Yang slant but I see the something good/bad part of this weeks project soley on the feed back of the viewers and not on the execution of the creator. Cause you can’t hear my tone, this is a happy post not one in annoyance or anger :)

4. I’ve never posted a response to the 5sec Challenge here before – where do I upload the video? I uploaded to Vimeo but the channel doesn’t seem to have the option…

Here’s a link to my response:

(though apparently it’s still converting on their end…)

5. please don’t forget the interview for my thesis.
    thanks Nick!

cheers from Austria

6. mcroskey

Sorry, I set the video to private because I was trying to replace it with a version with audio and was running into a weird encoding problem.
    Anyways here’s the new link http://vimeo.com/5050408

7. brice dupuy

Hey Nick,
    here’s my first 5second project participation,

Very nice website, keep up the good work!
    Sharing your thoughts and knowledge on a regular basis makes your blog one great place to go to,.

8. Rickard Bengtsson

First upload on vimeo, first time in this 5sec project :)
    Really nice idea, I hope the projects will continue for a long time.

Here’s mine:

9. hey guys this is my first entry ever. Hope you like it.

I create mine on wide resolution and when I uploaded it to vimeo, it came out all squished in.

10. Hi! A 5 seconds cartoon…

?Sample by Dj Gero: myspace.com/djgero

?All Remoz Univers is on: r-e-m-o-z.blogspot.com/

?Oh pLeAsE! Be mY fRiEnD on: fr-fr.facebook.com/people/Remoz-Fakebook/1406981277

11. My first real animation other than creating basic wedding slideshows with AfterEffects. The animation doesn’t fit the theme perse, but I know the animation is good (cool), my opinion, but the camera work needs some work, (bad). I’m really starting to learn how to work better with the camera but just started so I’m posting this anyway.