Where Did The Reflection Channel Go In R16?

Upcoming Photoshop Workflow Video Suggestions Help 22 Comments

Hi everybody! I was wondering if you could help me out with some suggestions for an upcoming Video Tutorial. I am writing up an outline for my first “full length” tutorial package tentatively called “Photoshop Workflow for Digital Photographers.” I was wondering if you could post your feedback on what YOU would like to see in a full tutorial about image processing in Photoshop. Please Please Please leave a comment with any feedback or suggestions about what I should include in the series. Also, what are your thoughts about having a paid-for product on the site? I will continue to post free tutorials for sure. I just wanted to be able to put time into longer-form, project based training as well. Any feedback is highly appreciated. Thanks!

1. Superman in Training

Hey Nick,
    Love the idea of full length tutorial package. Things I would like to see is a real good insight to your thought process that you go through for each photograph.. too many tuts out there that are just do steps 1-10 to get this look. I am looking for the mindset and artistic eye that can separate the amateur from the professionals. What do you do to make your pictures stand out from the rest. Also where do you go for inspiration, where can one find current trends and looks … how do you take a current trend and twist it and make it your own. I would love love love to see something like this for graphic design in general and something with after effects. Including brainstorming for new ideas.
    Thanks!

2. Chris

Hi

Twittered this to you as well, hope you don’ think I’m pushy :)

I often get home after a shoot with 1000+ images and then sit and trawl through them. I’d be interested on how others manage this, specifically

- do they have a general set of options they follow each time (i’m not talking specific settings rather processes). Personally I scan through them and do some basic cropping, flagging interesting ones. Then revisit just the cropped interesting ones and start tweaking colour etc. It works but its labourious and i can’t help feeling I’m missing some good shots

- are there things they look for that make a ‘good shot’ What selection criteria they use on whether to do further processing or not.

- do they delete ‘bad’ photos or just park them somewhere.

- do they have a system for rating the photos or deciding on tags they might use

On the ‘paid for product’ front. I’m all for it. Having relevent information to hand in an easily understandable format is worth its weight in gold. If I were you I’d also over a compilation of past tutorials on DVD. Again priced right people will buy it for the convenience.

Cheers
    Chris

3. I would suggest for example a photography tutorial on using the different lenses and what can be achieved with them. primes, zooms etc.

4. Hi Nick,
    I personally don’t have a dSLR yet, so a tutorial about how to make the best pictures using just a small compact camera would be pretty cool. For me at least, but it’s just personal I guess. Cheers.

5. SuperTosta

Hi nick, i would like to see what aproach do you use in your work (DK) from Camera to final work to clients.

About Payed stuff in on if the content is top notch and i bet it will be, just dont make it to much :P

for now i think its all more ideias i will keep then posted later :)

6. Hey Nick. Paid for is good, but yeah, price is key! Something I would love to see personally is insight into how best to fully use adjustments to their potential – I tend to use the same few in a limited way, but I don’t think I really explore all the options the adjustments provide, and I’m sure I could get a lot more out of them if I really understood what I was doing with them and what each can offer to enhance my photo in the right situation.
    It might be good to see some tips and tricks about things like best ways to get rid of lens flare etc.

Thanks for the chance for input!

7. Here’s what I would include if I did one.

Duotones, Monotones, Colour seperations for silk screening, how to correctly sharpen images( if you want some of my techniques I’ll share with you) How to reduce/remove colour fringing on subjects. Non-Destructive workflow, composites, shee’s my suggestions could go on and on here Nick.

8. Nick,
    Perhaps a series on how to properly shoot photos for a film production. The benefit of this would be it would provide comprehensive knowledge for vfx / motion artists whom would like to add more photorealism to their cinema 4d / after effects projects. Best practices for HDR photos & background plates would be great way to show shooting tips, so people can shoot smarter, and then lightroom/bridge photoshop workflows for compositing the picks together, and in general working with 32 bit images in photoshop, keeping in mind they will end up in after effects or cinema 4d. Another possibility is to focus on photoshoping video in Photoshop CS4. It appears that is the new buzz, but not always the easiest thing. Best of luck.

9. Dont know if I may suggest tutorials other than Photoshop but here’s my shot.

I am interested to see what your approach is in workflow regarding directory structure, naming files, naming layers etc.

I would also be interested in a tutorial about lenses. I’m thinking of buying a camera. But the technical stuff of lenses freaks me out. What do all the numbers mean? What do you have to focus on when buying a lens. Is a cheaper lens always worse? And what about using photolenses for film etc.

10. Oh about the workflow of directory structure etc. I dont mean in only photoshop. But setting everything up for a project. A project in which you would use multiple programs like AE, AI, PS and C4D. :)

11. All of your portfolio advice for Motion Designers has been really helpful for me personally.
    It would be great to see a similar perspective for digital photographers. Like a “How to Take Photos and Get Paid”. For example, workflows on processing for a film production, like Gregory Wilson mentioned, a workflow for dealing with a large batch of fashion / model photos & processing them, masking & compositing for product shots and things related to photos being used in print/web design.

12. 1) Organization of photos / management
    2) Different rigs (this is not really workflow but still interesting)
    I will post more if I think of it.
    C

13. xavier

hi Nick, I would love to see how you prepare your images when you take them from a scanner. I know digital is what people use today but if you like lomo then you´ll have some film that you would like to scan right?

14. That Heerko has a good point, i’m always using photoshop, illustrator and AE at the same time and before i know it i’ve got a folder full of the same picture saved into different programs and folders for comps and pre-comps and no matter how organised I try to be it always ends up as a big annoying mess …or maybe that’s just me… but i’m still interested in how you complete a brief with the whole adobe package at your disposal

15. Scott

I would love an in depth tutorial that covers 3D Texturing in Photoshop that takes a 3D scene created in Cinema 4D that’s then exported out to a format the Photoshop can recognize. I would also like a tutorial about Photoshops new timeline and what cool stuff you can do with video in Photoshop CS4 and CS3 Extended, which is what I currently use.

Outside of Photoshop tutorials I would buy a tutorial package that shows how to integrate Cinema 4D and AE together to create some cool motion work. There’s a similar package called, ‘Making it Look Great 6′ that’s out there, but it doesn’t really go over all the cool stuff you can do with it comes to replacing buffered parts of you models/scenes with AE Comps and video clips. Free sections of Cineversity do a better job explaining the workflow between Cinema and AE then that package with their News Bumper tutorial series and I’d bet you can show us some neat tricks that would be a big help. Thanks

16. bobby

keep doing what you have always been doing, i have noticed that this site is slowing down… and there seems to be more posts regarding ‘soft-subjects’ i.e. creative field discussions or resume tips. though i value the merit in said posts, i believe that what truly makes greyscalegorilla is the motion tutorials… cool tutorials from a cool guy, plain and simple.

17. I agree with a previous post regarding working through many photos (~200), binning/sorting, and then adjusting with an artistic eye. The thought process involved in making the photo artistic is immensely helpful.

18. Really great suggestions everyone. I really appreciate that! Keep them coming. This stuff is really helpful to steer the site in the right direction.

19. Nick, what I want to see doesn’t necessarily have to do with photography. But I would like to see a tutorial, or a set of them dedicated to building out in photoshop a comp that you would use to animate in After Effects. Not just hocus pocus, but things of the “cool” nature? ya know?

20. Hi Nick,

I was wondering if you could perhaps do a tutorial on the integration between Photoshop and After Effects. I know it doesn’t have to do with photo editing, but I am very familiar with both programs.

The issues I run into the most is when I create media to animate, I have no idea what size to make the images. When I use the presets for HD video in photoshop, it tends to look pixelated in AE. When I make them higher res it looks better, but I want to save HD space and render time. I am not sure how to find a happy medium between the two. What’s big enough?