WHAT'S NEW IN CINEMA 4D R16

Mograph 2 Test Render with GI 61 Comments

Playing around with GI settings today with the new Mograph 2. Really fast render. This scene took 40 minutes to render on my MacPro 8 core. All with low settings, there isn’t much artifacting. It came out a little soft. Not sure what that’s about. I’ll keep testing. Stay tuned.

• i mean…even if it is just some spheres with gravity applied…it’s still visually appealing.

1. Tobias Jeansson

sweet!

No flickering. Why do I get that?
    Tobias

• The new renderer makes it easier to get flickr free settings. Even if the renders do take a bit longer.

2. Damn – these colisions look so great and are soooo simple to setup – we will be flooded by this stuff in some months. Mograph dynamics will be the new trapcode 3D stroke!

3. The collision detection is pretty solid. I also love how easy it is to setup the GI. Solid work, can’t wait to see tutorials!

4. Switching between the 11.5 demo on my laptop and 11 at work is like switching back into the raytracer on my amiga 500 back in 1990…

5. I agree with Tobias–this is going to be too easy and fun and will get over-used. But for the short-term…a lot of fun and application.

6. Matthew Tully

This is awesome, I can’t wait to hear the solution as to how you made the objects glow. Thanks for the render.

• Matt Tully

I got the Luminance part down, GI sells the trick. Thanks Matt & Nick.

7. Mikkel Søndergaard

Looks great. How du you set your backgrounds up in Cinema 4D?

• What do you mean by that? He added a floor from the “lights” menu. No other backgrounds.

• Mikkel Sondergaard

What I mean by that? Sorry, let me rephrase: How do you set up the scene? Not the ´background´…

8. JoShi

Hi Nick, Hi Folks, ..
    a week ago i played around with similar settings… MoGraph2 + GI… Like throwing a bunch of lightbulbs in a dark room..
    delicious. ;) .. greets jo.

9. UmairVFX

hello Nick very cool result btw i am 3ds max user and really love your material and rendering. could please tell me how you setup this material generally its method that will easy to understand me and achieve in any 3d probram please…

best regards, and also please discribe its rendering settings :D

10. i love the radiating glow, it’s so neon and cool. Dude you’re making me jealous with your blog output. Wish I could do the same with mine…

11. again some cool shit. love how the render turned out. I’m no way into AR3 so i can only guess what you call soft render. GI always come around a little softer than other lighting methods. I’m totally hocked on vray ever since it came out for c4d. There you have a ton of AA options that either bring the render out crisp or blurry. Haven’t looked into the settings in AR3 but there must be some more settings for sharper AA. They rebuild that part. Best ist to post over on cgtalk and ask the pros there.

P..:

12. JoShi

just added a new mograph2 test on vimeo.. i tried to use mograph-dynamics as an fake fluid-dynamics system… realy very rough-setup.. but it shows what you can do with some more work and higher “particle” count.. .. what do you think? .. worth spending more time on mo-graph-fake-fluids? its unbeatable fast compared to realflow or something else… maybe sometimes its enough “water-feeling” for some projects?! jo.

• JoShi

yep, its made with metaballs… i´m uploading a optimized setup to vimeo at the moment… looks much more like water/oil..

• First of all i have to say it’s a great setup.
      mind sharing that let’s say over on cgtalk.com ?

P..:

• Sebastian Kerner

I assume its just a cloner object with
        “rigid body tag” inside a metaballs object.
        The only thing you have to consider is that
        you´ll need the mograph cache to chache the
        simulation before make your cloner a child
        of the metaballs object,otherwise it wont work.

• ah i see, I did see some people ask for a solution for the cloner as a child thing over on cgtalk.com but this seems to be a nice workaround.

Thanks for posting

P..:

13. JoShi

… following link shows a more optimized version of the “fake-fluid-system”… improved sphere-count… less mass, less friction less everything lets the liquid look more like water/oil..

14. JoShi

hey nick.. i´m constantly getting msgs how this fake-fluid-sim was made.. maybe you can show a few steps in your next tut… it´s even easier to explane by spoken words..

… but to get first a rough overview:

1. you can start with an emitter with sphere-particles
    or with an matrix-clone object, stuffed with spheres (i would recommend this to save some cpu-power for the metaballs).

2. the higher the sphere count is, the smoother and detailed is the “water”-surface later on.

3. reduce sphere-polys (down to 10 or 12segments each .. play around with that adjustments of sphere-count and poly-count..) to get a even-surface switch the spehere-type to “hexaeder”… polys are more evenly distirbuted..

4. setup a modynamics scene as seen in nicks tuts… bake the sphere-clone-object.. (witht the mograph-tag->mograph cache) and then drop the sphere-source into a metaball object. to get a almost water looking surface, you have to lower the metaballs setting for subdivisions to 20m .. and raise the hull-percentage to about 200% …

5. now your got the basic setup… the behavier of the liquid is depending on how the modynamics spheres behave.. lower the fricition and mass to get a easy flowing liquid (you can raise the simulationspeed in the scene-settings too) …

6. if its too blubby and chunky.. try to increase the sphere-count… (but watch your system-mem… metaballs isn´t the most efficient-tool)

… so you see.. it´s realy fake and dirty..
    but it was fun to think that way.

let me see your results.. looking forward to improve that
    shit ;)

greets. jo.

• Thanks for the how to Jo!!! Great info.

I may try to cop your setting in a video tut if your ok with that. Cheers buddy!

15. woooww!!

that its the most impresivve ones !!

jiiji

how do you get that illumination ?

well y now that it’s something in globall illumination no ?

jijiji

yhea !! cool !!!

n__n

wath this, simply but i like it mouch !! jiji

sorry by my english but i don´t speak it jijiji

im mexican

see you !!

16. If you want to have it come out a bit sharper, try changing your anti-aliasing settings to a Lanczos filter with a filter width and height of 4. Mitchell is a slight bit softer/quicker. The Triangle filter, width/height of 2,2, method is much faster, sharp, but not as pretty. Gauss (3,3) is a very soft filter overall while box (1,1) is quick and dirty.

I’m basing this off of mental ray in Maya, however, the filters should work the same in C4D.

17. Beautiful render, any chance we can get a tutorial, always had problems with self-illumination.

18. dannyWood

Please ma, please please please get a tutorial please

19. Fiona O'Leary

Hey what kind of settings are you using to get a quick render? cause i need to render mine quickly but it seems to be taking forever!

20. waauuuw, now i really sound like a gay, but omg, dude please tell me how you did that glowing stuff.. i just can’t figure it out.. :(
    Help? :$

cheers

21. Hey Nick

Great setup. I was wondering how you get that glowish look?

MJ

22. louis2009

I really love your glow ball.
    may I know some tips to know how to render like this ? thanks

23. First, your sites awesome, as a photographer who is learning c4d your lessons are invaluable and I’m working my way through the old tuts.

I noticed an issue when playing with the glowing balls and I wonder if you’ve encountered/found a fix for it. With no gradient applied to the luminance channel of the ball, I can up the brightness and it changes the amount of light the ball throws. However as soon as I add a gradient to say make a blue ball with a glowing stripe, then I can no longer push the light output past 100% (at leas thats what it looks like). Its like the gradient clamps the output. I’ve been poking around for a work around, but I figure I’d drop a line and see if someone could enlighten me.

I also know there’s a good chance no one checks the old tutorial posts, but either way thanks in advance, theres nothing better than free knowledge.

Cheers,
    Duncan

• After some reading I figured it out. When a texture is applied, you can alter the strength of the light produced by changing the GI settings in the Illumination tag of the texture.

24. I was just looking for this info for a while. After 6 hours of continuous Googleing, finally I got it in your website. I wonder what is the lack of Google strategy that don’t rank this kind of informative web sites in top of the list. Generally the top websites are full of garbage.

25. kagames family

i don’t like razors so i generally use hair clippers to cut my hair;

26. doubt

You might have a really great layout for the weblog, i want it to make use of on my site also .