SEARCH FROM OVER 250 CINEMA 4D TUTORIALS

New iPhone App, CrossProcess 89 Comments

I’m really excited to announce my new iPhone app called CrossProcess that came out today at the App Store. I would LOVE to hear what you think about it.

Best Of SlideShow

CrossProcess Blog

Flickr Group

Buy it Now

Transform

1. Just bought it. I like it so far. There are a couple of things I’d like to see different. Like seeing the on/off switches underneath/on top of the photo while I’m turning them on/off so I can see in realtime what the changes look like.

It seems like now I have to go to the on/off ‘menu,’ make changes, then go back, but the changes aren’t made? I have to start from scratch again to get the changes? I also think the ‘save the original’ should be defaulted to on.

Just my opinions about the interface, the results are very nice! Nice job.

2. Bought ;)

Might wanna watch out on the 4th screenshot image in the appstore.. the naked Barbie doll might get you banned from the appstore for sexual content! :)

3. It’s great, but there are a few things that bug me. I wish it would give me the option to select a photo or take a new one when I launch the app. I hate having to click cancel if I want to select one. Also the photos aren’t geotagged so when I import them into iPhoto or Aperture there is no GPS data.

• Chris

I agree 100% with the option to select a photo instead of canceling every time. Nice app though!

4. Great app! Better than ShakeItPhoto and any other photo app in the appstore :) Thank you, Nick!

5. Dude that application is killer, I send a mass e-mail to all my friends, family, even clients that I know they will love this app. I just want to know what is the gray scale gorilla e-mail because my outlook is not working right now and when I click on the E-mail Me it redirects as always to my e-mail application. Send me the e-mail address so I can talk to you about some good things ok, take care.

6. MikeC

Very cool. I dig it, I bought it reluctantly b/c for me it’s kind of cheating. I’ve been trying to get great photos out of my Diana+ now for 2 years and only have a handful of pictures that turned out great. But film and the process is expensive so this should work while on the road.
    Thanks again.

7. Love it!
    And, yes… you included that border on/off feature. Nice!

Got some issues with image compression/grain.
    Seems to be very heavy compression.

8. Talk about making shit look cool!

What a great app!

Thank you NIck. I’m a big fan!
    Jason

9. amazing app, just like shakeit photo but i noticed something, sometimes when you select a photo from your library and you process it, on the display it seems to be like ….(crap i dont know that word)…. mm like when you see a 4:3 pixel aspect on a square pixels pixel aspec ratio.. (mm my english sucks).. but when you go exit the app and you go to your photo library, that photo you just toke is look right.. so maybe you can check that for a future update, but for everything else it works, “like magic” (i need to practice my english……)

10. Japes

Damn thats cool. Love this one too! Getting it now. Honestly your apps is the reason I keep holding on my iphone.

11. Can you make a tutorial how you can achieve the cross process effect in photoshop.
    I tried it and got a decent result but i’m not so happy about it…

thanks in advance.
    Lrns.

12. I bought it, and I think it’s great! The icon was pretty slick and modern, too.

ONE THING: I got a bit confused with the on/off options on “red”, “blue”, “green” and “basic”. Why am I able to turn on more than one of them at once, when just one of them can effect a picture at once? When I turn on one of those switches, the other ones should turn them selves off, if you know what I mean? Or am I wrong?

Anyways, I really loved the effects that you gave us this time, and it added a real crispy, retro, peaceful look to my iPhone photos. Really slick. :)

13. Lovely! You’re gonna be a millionaire.

Just one thing, I don’t really like the iPhone app icon you gave it. It just seems a little bit basic and dull. I don’t know if you care, but I’d think it would be better if the off-black background was a little more off-black and if the gradients of the color circles were clearer. In my opinion, as it is now, the symbol is not enough made by you. The RGB circle thing is something we’ve all seen somewhere before.

Loved the ShakeItPhoto app icon :) And the app itself is brilliant. Good work!

14. Samuel

Hey Nick! Nice App by the way, i really love the treatment the photo’s get. BUT there are a few thing that could be changed.

Possible changes:

1. GPS Tagging
    2. Interface needs changing (Icon placement)
    3. Photo could be moved up, after taking photo to make way for the menu. (Overlapping of menu and photo)
    4. Redesign the App icon. (Not as nice as ShakeitPhoto)
    5. Redesign the menu in the main screen (Maybe glowing rollovers)

Also it’s annoying to having to go back to delete photos. You should be able to discard and retake within the app.

Nick, you probably already have a good idea of what changes maybe be required. I’d just thought i’d give you my opinion.

**great product, but let down in the execution of layout.**

GREAT APP IDEA!!!!! PHOTO EFFECTS ARE SOMETHING TO BE SEEN. AMAZING!!!!!

Nick I love your work and I’m an avid fan. I’ll definitely be spreading the word.

15. Hey Nick,
    Congrats on your new app! I just got it this morning and I already fell in love with it. It is certainly more advanced than your previous Shake It app. Love the different processing settings, really neat stuff.
    Do you develop your apps by yourself? Just curious…
    Thanks.
    Phil

16. I already loved Shakeit Photos.
    Now i’m in love with your new app.
    Bravo!

17. chris

works great! only 1 issue:

when using a photo from my library, it seems to crop off the left and right side of the border, leaving the white border on the top and bottom only – anyone else notice this?

18. Mattski

LOL! You released your app on my birthday!
    Bought it today! Looks GREAT! ;-)

19. Yeah I have the cropped boarder thing in my image library too. Great app though. The camera on my 3G is a little crappy but I’ve got some good results from the tests I’ve just done and I like it! Cheers nick, good price too. I hope you kill it.

20. John Piercy

Just bought it ..having fun with it .. works well …

21. Just found 2 tiny thing that probably don’t matter that much: when you process a cropped photo (not to ratio), the app displays the result photo stretched. If you go into the Process screen while the photo is being processed (say at the negative portion of the animation), the app will display the result in negative. Both will not effect the saved image. Wonderful app, having fun with it now.

22. I’m having tons of fun with this app. Sometimes it doesn’t save the new image, which I think may have something to do with the processing speed of the phone. Usually I just open the image and try again and it works. Either way, I have been entertained for hours going back and using cross process on all my photos.

Tons of fun!

23. TheRedOwl

Sick work man! Cross Process is the 2nd app for photography to make my iPhone homepage. Guess which one was the first ;-)

24. I bought it as soon as it came out. Home run, dude.

I’ve been following your other sites and have learned a lot. So, thanks for putting in the time. It’s appreciated.

25. Chris

What about a tutorial on several techniques on cross process effects in After Effects?

Coul you tranfer your process to AE?

26. hey nick, you could tell what fonts you used for the titles “CROSSPROCESS” and “ONLY 99″ on website? beautiful types. thanks.

27. Nice to see CrossProcess doing well Nick, Congrats!!!!!!

28. I showed my wife some of the pictures I processed and she said “it took that crappy photo and made it something I’d want to frame”. So I guess that’s a compliment.

Thanks for the great app Nick

29. I just downloaded the app, and it is AWESOME!!!

Great job Nick

Keep up the great work.

30. How the heck do you post a slideshow? Come home and show me please. The internet is hard.

31. Adam Schmisek

Nick
    I absolutely love this app! Best .99$ I ever spent. I cant stop taking pictures with it. Great job!

32. Nice job! really does come close to cross processing. its funny reading the reviews on the app store of people complaining the effect is not that “noticeable” U need to make a “lens flare” app for those folks

33. Great app. We downloaded it today.

The NewAppIdea.com Team
    New App Idea | App Idea Development

34. Love the Diana camera look. I have one, but it is cool to know that I can get the same look with my iPhone

35. I am allready in love of this app, i´m starting a photo diary, one per day max three, and most of them will be taken with cross process.

And I do post them with posterous of course

36. this is phenomenal, it would have been a done deal at $10, I was floored when I saw it was only .99!

I’ve checked out a ton of your tutorials through google and vimeo searches but only came to your blog for the first time today.

Keep up the awesome work, and I’ll definitely be checking this page out regularly!

37. Mdhamiri Nkemi

Great man! Just bought it and works really well.

38. I love this app! CrossProcess just makes every photo look better than the original. Beats any other holga/polaroid app out there, by far.

BUT – in some cases (why?) it reduces the image WAY down to 640px wide, and creates a strange moiree pattern (check these shots versus the originals to see patterning):

But, more importantly, I’ve got a request: I love this app so much that I wish I could apply your CrossProcess filter to high-res photos from my other cameras, without involving my iphone – could you make a Photoshop Filter/Action that we could download?

39. Please make cross process for android. :( its magical please its a request hope you’ll pay heed to my suggestion :) you’ll earn alot on android too

40. Thank you, I’ve just been looking for info about this topic for a long time and yours is the best I’ve found out so far. However, what about the bottom line? Are you certain about the source?|What i do not realize is in reality how you are not really much more neatly-appreciated than you might be right now. You are very intelligent.

41. Brinton

The app is great. However, after taking a picture, I accidentally pressed cancel and not the use button. It is frustrating >:( because I through the picture automatically save into my Camera Roll. The photo I have taken cannot be taken again as I was on holiday. Is there a way to get your photos back, if not, then that is something that needs to be fix. :/

42. nicolas

Sorry, Nicolas again, but it seems that the apps freeze with the new apple IOS 7…does anyone knows something about this mystery…

43. Joël

Love the app. Just upgraded to a iphone 5s, pics taken in burst mode won’t save to camera roll after cross processing (even after “keeping only 1 favorite”). Also would be awesome if you could control amount of effect applied with slider/ preview.