Weekly GSG - Join The Newsletter

New Station IDs made for SignalNoise 34 Comments

I was honored when James White of Signalnoise asked me if I could make him a cool looking “Station ID” for his upcoming art show. I love James’ retro style and have admired his work for sometime now, so I said “hell yes.”

His only direction was that I had to use his logo and that it should look like those old school network ID’s like from the late 70s and early 80s. I drew on some inspiration from two of my favorite IDs from that era and got started animating. His logo was a dream to work with and all the rainbow colors really fit the style. Very simple and very fun to animate. I had so much fun animating it, I made TWO of them. For sound design, I found some song bits that fit and screwed up the audio to give it that VHS recorded sound. They were played at his latest art show in Toronto on loop.

Thanks again to James for asking me to animate your awesome logo. I really have fun with projects like this.

1. Thanks for sharing Nick. Definitely like the old skool feel!

2. newroyal

This (somehow) reminds me of Quentin Tarantino’s movies and I feel like watching Bud Spencer

3. Awwwww what a pretty digital lines & colors. Very sweet.

4. Kurtis Thomas

Dig it! You nailed the old school vibe perfectly!

5. campru

when you made those, you had to be wearing flares? right?

6. like the vimeo thing, i saw these and just thought “nick prolly did these”…turns out i was right…nice dude :)

7. Great job Nick. I also just checked out signalnoise.com, amazing work! I’m gonna buy that Awesome poster.

8. marco

I’m devoting at this web site day by day… it’s one of my main inspiring source, really thanks gorilla!

9. MikeC

Great stuff,
    I always loved the “special presentation” one.

10. WOW, very nice and I love the 70s-80s look, the crispness of the logo and the treatment still hints at its contemporaneity. really great mix of old and new!

11. It would be so great to see a tutorial on your whole process for something like this, obviously be 4-5 parts possibly but would be a fantastic learning tool.

Obviously you probably couldn’t use James’s logo but replace it with a dummy one ;)

12. jason

Yeah! Let’s breakdown your process! We have already broken down a couple works from the other guys, I think a breakdown from the man himself is in order! We would all learn so much and would appreciate it!

• Ryan Hartford

I second this! I think a tutorial on the SignalNoise would be helpful for us. About time we have an ALL AE tutorial. Have had enough of C4D, not that I don’t appreciate it, I think this would be a SignalNoise tutorial would be perfect to get started on!

13. Oh man!, I love the link to the Hanna-Barbera logo animation. Saturday morning cartoons/after-school cartoons, before the age of 24hour cartoons. Awesome execution.

14. Great stuff Nick!

We were clearly watching the EXACT SAME source of inspiration when we created our “vintage” logo animations for the Iron Man 2 1974 Stark Expo (http://perceptionnyc.com/node/68).

We found the crucial ingredient to nailing the look was making maraca/bongo noises while watching ram previews…

• That is awesome! Bongos always make it work. I love the WGBH style one with the solid colors too. This breakdown is so awesome, I think I’m going to make a post about it. Any other behind the scene, notes, John? :)

15. Lovely and crisp retro-futuristic stuff man!!! Love it so much!

Sound-wise, in my opinion, I think the music snippets were juuuust a little too reverb’d, know what I’m saying. Sounded a little more arena than living room, perhaps? Just saying. :)

Awesome work!

16. Cool, love the retro style.
    James got some nice designs also, gonna check out the store :)

17. TUTORIAL TUTORIAL!!

It is awesome, simple and nice.
    please make a tutorial D: