What Version Of Cinema 4D Should You Get?

The Pixels Effect Made Easy With The New Voxel Preset 51 Comments

Check out this incredible Preset by Robert Leger called Voxel. It’s based on the pixel effect seen in this popular video by One More Production aptly called PIXELS. Robert’s preset makes it super easy to turn models into pixelated objects. The effect even has a “MoDynamics” button that instantly ads physics to your model. Really fun stuff. Check out his tutorial on how to use it and give it a try.

While you are there, check out some of Robert’s other tutorials. He has a really great style of presenting and always makes great looking renders. I can’t wait to see more from him.

Learn more about Voxel Here

Watch “PIXELS”

1. Robert really did a great job with this effect ! The tutorial is great ! and it’s sooooo easy to use that’s incredible :D
    Thanks a lot for this plug ^^; it will be lot of fun :D

2. Looks awesome. How do you get those smooth floating camera moves? Is there a wiggle expression equivalent in C4D?

3. That looks great, though I wish the physics allowed the car to bounce up and down like a car with blocky wheels would do!

• hey arvin,

you have total control over your volume-shapes. just animate them the way you want and the voxels will follow.

4. Irfan

WOW – I’m going to have some fun with this – thanks Nick for pointing this one out, and thanks Robert for your hard work and generosity ; )

5. firebrick

This looks really cool, would love to try out..but it doesn’t work with c4d 11.0 :(

6. hello everyone,

thanks for your great feedback!

and special thanks to nick for the support. you are the man!

bye, robert

7. Alan Adamik

Awesome !

Actually when i saw this plugin, i couldn’t resist and tried to do it myself.
    Finally, it only takes a cloner and a volume effector.
    Xpresso just keep amazing me.

Thanks for the link !

8. Stigg

hi there this is amazing
    but i was trying it out and it didn’t work with text :s

• Steve B

@Stigg

It works fine with text, tested it out last night. You have to make sure your text (extruded) is made editable first.

9. Yea saw this a couple days ago its cool :) .

Thanks @Robert Leger.

10. Stigg

steve i just work half with my text
    just the bottom not the top of it

11. Stigg

steve it just work half with my text
    just the bottom not the top of it

• zymos

As mentioned in the tutorial, you need to center the axis of your text (Structure -> Axis Center).

12. Simon D├╝rnegger

Very Well done! :D
    Did the Tutorial for that and i just can say it looks amazing :)

• yeah i’m an idiot too, but worse. i still didn’t figure it out. where do i drop it?

• hey ryan,
      don’t drop it anywhere. it’s a simple C4D file. open it and copy the preset into your own scene.

13. Steven Griffiths

Thanks for sharing this Nick. And to think a few months ago I was considering moving over to Modo! Not any longer though.

14. sjoerdwijn

really nice animations. im kinda jealous of you guys. Each animation looks really great

15. Aaron C.

Hey has anyone figured out the bug that won’t keep the check box for the activation toggle. For me, I click on the activate preset and it just switches off. I’m following the tutorial pretty closely and can’t figure it out.

16. I am sure everyone is wondering this…..

So if I wanted to use a texture (Design for the front of a product box – logo – etc.) how do I get a material to stick over all the little boxes so when I have them spill or explode each little box has its own chunk of the material mapped on it. I have tried different forms of selection tags with no results. Is this even possible within this? Or do I need to sort it out in another manor?

Thanks!

Jeremy

17. S.J Mansfield

Robert’s site is being revamped at the moment. Is there anyone that can share the preset with me?

Regards,

S.J

18. Hi

I am new to cinema 4d and have been using the voxel preset. With it having modynamics on there, it allows the voxel cubes to drop and break apart from the object in which the cubes are placed in. However, I would then like the cubes to reform back to the shape of the object after they have broken apart, this is the part I am stuck with.

I saw Chris Schmidt’s tutorial on ‘parametric shatter’ where he makes a sphere fall and break apart into pieces and then bakes the simulation and keys the playback? in order to make the pieces form the original shape of the sphere.

I found this very useful, however, the voxel preset does not have the playback option in the dynamics settings and am unable to find how to do this other than using xpresso.

As I am fairly new to cinema4d I would find it very difficult to do it in xpresso and am looking for another way to achieve this, like using the playback option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks