Greyscalegorilla Mail

Winner of the Five Second Project, “Countdown” 26 Comments

Winner

Congrats to Tridente Brand Firm for winning the “Countdown” five second project. This spot combined simple visual and audio metaphors to create a cohesive countdown to zero in all mediums. The spot starts off with 5 sided shapes and reduces itself down through the seconds all the way to one dot in the center to represent “one”. The Shades of grey also get darker as the spot progresses. The audio also follows suit, reducing in sound quality until the spot comes to a screeching low bit-rate ending. Thanks to everyone who submitted to the project and to Neal Carroll for helping organize the project. You can see more great entries below or watch them all at the Five Second Project Archive.

Honorable Mentions

1. Josekenshin

Congratz…all are amazing projects.

waiting 4 the next 5SP contest.

sorry 4 my bad english. :(

2. Lawrence

This was my first attempt at taking part, absolutely loved it and can’t wait for the next one! Congrats to the winners there are some awesome pieces in this one. Good work everybody!

3. chetan

why dint i get that in my mind!!!!!! trident, i hate you!!! Grrrrrrrr.. ;) great job guys..

4. Tiner

Im impressed by the quality of some of these videos.

Great work guys and gals

5. Congratulations to the winner and to everyone who took part.
    Feels like the bar rises a little higher every time :)

6. :) !!! We are happy!! thanks everyone for the comments and good vibe… keep up the good work Nick, we┬┤re watching…
    This one was made listening to Local H… :)

7. Verdering

I think Jeffrey Man won the whole scene..everyone else did good

8. i guess i don’t even have to say how awesome most of the projects were, but just to be sure: everyone! your vids were absolutely great.

hey nick, i wanted to ask, (and many more probably have the same question in mind),what do you base on to make the decision when it comes to choosing the winners?

I wanna know this because i’ve seen almost every tutorial on C4D you’ve posted and quite a few on AE so far, and I’ve always agreed with much of what you said, your designing “tastes” (srry i’m not a native speaker and cannot think of a better word XD). The point is that in 5sp, i usually disagree. When you choose the winner and honorable mentions, I get usually disappointed, I mean, many times i’ve found a honorable mention or a vid that hasn’t been mentioned better than the winner. Of course that’s very personal, i really get that, but after that happened over and over again I realized that i don’t get what you are looking for in 5sp.

I want to make it clear that this is neither an angry complaint nor stupid and groundless criticism (i don’t even think it’s criticism), it’s just a question to know the “rules” i guess, and play by them. I mean, your answer may be a guide to me and a lot of people. I know that you’ve talked about similar things in your 5sp vids but what you say there is not quite what i wanna know

okay, thanks for taking the time to at least read a very long comment.I don’t know, just let us know what you think about it, so maybe just drop a few lines, i’ll be usefull for a bunch of guys behind their screens and maybe, improve the overall quality of 5sp’ if we have this sort of guide to work accordingly.

thanks! fede

• Hey Fede!
      I guess that’s the same question I wanted to ask…
      I submit my first animation and I really worked hard to get it done.
      I wanted to stand out by making a different concept than a simple countdown with no meaning, I like original concepts, therefore I planned the whole story, I storyboarded it and then I made all the illustrations and animations in illustrator, flash and after effetcs.
      I really wanted to intrigue by the story but maybe that was not the point of the whole project, maybe I misunderstood something? :)
      Please Nick, let us know! ;)

Fede, are you italian by the way?

• I think (and this is just speculation) that usually the winner is chosen on concept, execution and design first, and how well the piece has been polished. And i believe all that includes the video and the sound design. I might be wrong though. but this is what i have noticed over the past few projects.

• Riccardo Albertini: i can tell that you are italian XD. I’m actually from Uruguay, but my great grand father (i guess) was from italy, if that counts.

But i wanted to talk about what you said before regarding nationality lol. Thanks for sharing with us what’s happened to you, but i guess that this goes beyond each one, i mean, i don’t want this to be confused with “an angry participant trying to complain because he didn’t win”. In the first place i participated and, although i think my video was good, i do not think i should’ve won. In fact, having 155 contestants and most of them professionals, I think i’m faaaar from winning, i mean, i started with C4D last year.

The point here is the same like when you have a test at school, and you don’t understand the question, you know? i’m sure that even if nick answers i won’t win, but what i want to make clear here is that this is not about winning, but about quality and i want to make goog quality videos, that’s why i participate here, and i feel that if nick makes his “quality standards” (lacking a better expresion) clearer, we can all work better.

BTW, i’ve been thinking that maybe a good way to show how you evaluate, nick, would be to tell us what you’ve seen that you liked in this vids that won and why you chose them, but it’s just an idea.

bye guys!

• Steven Jenkins

I believe judging videos like these is a highly subjective process as with any type of art. There are rules to design, but they are of course made to be broken. That being said, one pattern I’ve noticed in the winning videos is not that they are in 3D, or stop motion, or any certain medium, but that the project was either highly elaborate in a way that didn’t clutter up the project, or there was some “out of the box” thinking that still clearly communicated the theme.