Can We Have 2 Minutes of Your Time To Watch This Video?

Animation Vs Illustration: Layer Tennis Match 43 Comments

UPDATE: I just finished the match and I had a blast! You can check out all the volleys here.

I will be battling awesome designer and illustrator, Aaron Scamihorn to start the new season of Layer Tennis. I played a match of Layer Tennis last year when I was at Digital Kitchen and had a blast. Hope to see you all there today. Talk trash or give my hi fives on twitter by adding the #lyt hash tag to your tweets.

Watch Layer Tennis
Follow Aaron on Twitter

• lookin for a “live” link or something but can’t find it… hopefully it will pop up come show time.

• then again, i’ve never been to this site so the solution may be the most obvious. I’m assuming it has something to do with the “view match” links over there to the right XD

1. does anybody knows how to watch this thing, i donĀ“t get it at all!

• I’m new too, but I think you can click on the match you’d like to watch and look for the “Intro” “1″ “2″ “3″ (and so on) links under the banner graphic for that match. We get to see each layer but only a still image, I think. If anyone knows how to see video of this match, holla

• Ryanfyffe is right its not a “live Stream” video pur-se. You have to wait until each artist uploads their work up and it becomes available.

2. Nick. Hands down you were the clear winner in my opinion. You played like a true boss.

3. great designs nick! LOL at your song “I am more than an accessory” hahahahah

4. Colortrails

A heavily politicized battle. ;) Saved the best for last Nick. Well played.

5. danny

wtf that site has no live stream or videos at all or any links to one ?

6. haha, the digital kitchen gang sign at the end of your old one was amazing

7. Epic last punch Nick! Great work from each side, though I think the gorilla takes the win :) Loved it!

8. Im all for new was of using new media in entertaining ways but guys come on seriously have we struck a whole new level of geekyness with this?… the commentary just had me getting embarrassed…im sure its fun and cool and I would love to attend… i just hope you know how much of geeks we really are… wow… good thing geek sheek is in LOL

9. Great session Nick. Did you model that button? I’d love to get my hands on it. Or a tutorial.

• Wow, sorry. I am new to c4d and modeling. But way to make me feel inferior for trying to learn something.

• The button was made with primitives except for the front, which was made my squishing a sphere and cutting it in half.

10. Zachary O'Connor

Seriously Nick, quit your job and become a singer, that was brilliant!

11. Hey Nick, awesome job on the last layer, would be great to have some tut’ on your process, nice job !

12. OFF TOPIC QUESTIONS:
    maybe someone can answer…

is it possible to get a soundfile into mograph dynamics? can c4d play a sound at collision events?

and: can a soundfile be modified by c4d while related to objects that have different distances? example: an explosion in the front is louder than an explosion in the back …

are there any tutorials? would be great!

• chetan

I guess you will have to use a spline mask on the sphere which is above an inside I dont know :) Just guessing.
      Good one though.

• Looks like just wrapped up spheres for the first one. And some deformed spheres for the abstract looking stuff. I have an “abstract” tutorial from last year that might be helpful.