SEARCH FROM OVER 250 CINEMA 4D TUTORIALS

Five Second Project Winner – “CMYK” 54 Comments

Congratulations to Florian Geyer for winning the CMYK five second project. His simple, but effective animation has some really sexy key-framing going on and is tied super duper tight to the audio track. But, more importantly this piece speaks to the subtractive nature of the CMYK process and tells a simple story though the five seconds. Check out his winning animation below and also don’t forget to watch the honorable mentions. This was one of the largest turnouts for a Five Second Project ever. So, as always, it was super difficult to pick winners. Thank you to EVERYONE who submitted a piece. I hope each of you have five more seconds of animation that you learned from or can be added to your reel. See you at the next five second project?

Winner

Honorable Mentions

Watch All of the Entries

1. awesome clips!
    congrats to the winner :]
    next time i think i will participate too!

2. Colortrails

The other entries are good but I think Romain Verdier’s is definitely the best entry listed on this page.

3. mediengestalt

I’m still looking for an automatic way to play all videos of a channel (maybe even fullscreen). Especially for the 5-second projects! Is there any other possibility than the hubnut widget?
    Am I missing something?

4. Todd VanSlyck

Those are all so awesome in their own way. Love the winner, but Poke Yeti was my fave.

5. Mitchell

Awesome stuff!

Although the last one (Léo M.) is a blatant rip from the brilliant ‘waiting for superman’ piece done by Buck, released just 2 months ago.

check it: http://vimeo.com/12615162

• *Blatant homage.
      This was the best piece of motion graphic I have ever seen and I learned so much by studying the brilliant animation, you have no clue ! I love the 5 second project !

Thanks Nik :)

6. Hey, guys!
    Thank you for the Honorable Mention, Nick :D
    And congrads to Florian for winning with those sweet keyframes. My personal favorites are those Cool Classic-2D-animation entries.So, Winged Yeti, & Sodak.. you guys just Kicked Ass! I Loved your work :)
    See you around!

7. Lucas

The winner piece is very nice, also, i love the motion of the last one but i just think it could’ve been pushed a little further to differentiate itself from Jr Canest’s animation, i mean, even the textures are similar. Nice motion nonetheless.

• Hey Lucas

you damn right, I know I should have made something more different in the design part. The animation took me more than 40 hours, I ( sadly ) just wanted to study the animation wich is incredibly complexe – for me-. What is great is that next time I’ll be able to start with this new skill on a new project !

Hope I offended nobody, and just for you to now, I sent an email a couple days ago to Buck, in order to thanks them for letting me study their perfect animation !

Leo

• Don’t worry about it Leo. Copying work is one of the best ways to learn. These projects are all about learning more and I’d say you have. Your animation is spot on.

The only problem with copying is when it’s put out as your own work. I wouldn’t put this on your reel or portfolio or anything. You can see that others see it as a copy and not as your own. But, now you understand the techniques that make that spot so great. You can put it in your tool kit and use some of the techniques in your OWN work that will end up in your portfolio.

Great work! Keep learning!

• Thank you for the comment Nick, I’ll follow your advice and not put that piece in my reel.

There is for sure a million new projects to come, let’s warm the Wacom and the coffee !

Cheers

8. zkaziee

great entrys, i just wanna say that i loved the yetis, i just think it is damn creative and should have won. anyways i love the winner, and all of the entrys. great works ;)
    make more contests gorilla :D

9. toxic

really badass stuff, This site is a major inspiration everyday, i love how the C4d comunity is so accessible and approachable, GSG, Pariah, Amateur media etc…
    You don’t find that in the Autodesk/Houdini comunity.
    C4D: 1200 dollars
    Macintosh: 1600 dollars
    Adobe: 1500 dollars
    Being able to learn from all you great talented guys: Freaking Priceless!!
    For everything else….there’s mastercard & Full Sail U.

Corny i know

10. What do you mean by the ‘subtractive nature of CMYK…’

11. RockSt3aDy

poke yeti is the winner for me!
    nice work all of you, im waiting for the next 5SP

12. Mariusz Pianowski

Grats Florian and congrats to all! Great work from everyone!

13. Fábio Pereira

Congratulations to the winner. I say it is hard to pick just one.

14. pedro soto

CONGRATS TO ALL THE WINNERS ..AMAZING WORK …I WILL PARTICIPATE THE NEXT TIME…JUST 4 FUN…AND FOR MY REEL…WAITING FOR THAT CALL…GREAT WORK NICK..YOU ARE THE JOIN TOOL OFTHIS COMUNITY

15. Tapete

Congratulations to the winner and everyone who took part.
    My video still didn’t make it into the vimeo channel though. I sent it via the form and in the comments. Would be glad if you could add it manually: http://vimeo.com/13601532

Cheers,
    Tapete

16. esteban

Sorry to be a downer kids but:
    1 Isn´t this project called 5 second project? Nick…you have chosen 2 projects that last 6 sec. I know its a bit picky but when you have only 5s…every second counts. Rules are rules…no?
    2 I am surprised that you are teaching people that ‘sexy’ keyframing wins. What ever happend to great concepts winning?

• I think that you need both a good concept and sexy animations. I try to pick a winner that has it all.

As far as timing, we try to make sure everyone is 5 seconds exactly. It’s tough to judge the difference between 5 and 6 seconds for a few reasons. Sometimes people add black to the end of their animation. Also, some people animate in drop frame and some in 24fps. Vimeo reads all of that differently as well and sometimes displays different times even though they are exactly 5 seconds. Overall, we try to keep it fair for everyone. But with so many entries, a few sly suckers get some extra frames in.

17. Hey, how would you do that effect(on the winning video) about 2 seconds in?

• The distortion effect is done with a Mograph random effector, displacing the points of a plane in Y-Axis. I animated the segments of the plane. In addition to that, I used a delay effector to create that “wobbling” look.

• Thanks! Im kinda a noob, and i coud figure out how to do everything else but that.
      Funky video btw.

18. imaginario

220 entries!!! my god that must be a hell of a work to choose the best one.
    Congrats to the winners

19. These have been getting better and better, I am really astounded. I have to say this website is such a beautiful thing and even though there seemed to be a little tension up top in the comments, (nick handled that very very well I have to say, and leo you rock keep doing your thing) I have watched this site nurture such a strong community.

I took a year off from university, I was strictly a 2d print designer in school, got a job at a production company just doing boards, and in the past year I have not only learned everything I know about motion design from all you great people, but watched a lot of you get better and better with me. Its is so fantastic and it makes me so happy to see all of these great submissions. The only thing left to say I guess is, hey nick where the royalties @? When I get a rad job that pays triple what I used to make where do I send your check?

20. I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely enjoyed every little bit of it. I have got you book-marked to check out new things you post…