Where Did The Reflection Channel Go In R16?

HDRI Light Kit Pro: Daylight Rig Preview 81 Comments

I have been working on a new update for the HDRI Light Kit Pro that should be out within a week or so. So excited, in fact, that I wanted to give you guys a sneak peak into the new “Daylight” Rig that will be included.
Scenes Lit With Daylight

This rig quickly simulates daylight lighting with sun and sky and renders very realistic shadows and highlights with and without Global Illumination. It renders super fast and is a great way to instantly light any scene. I have been using it a TON lately and I can’t wait for you guys to try it when the new version of the HDRI Light Kit Pro comes out. This will be a free update for existing users which means that anybody that buys the kit before the new version comes out will get the update FREE in their email inbox. There are also a few more goodies in store with the new version including new studio presets and HDRI Images. Getting really excited for this one.

Learn More about the HDRI Light Kit Pro

1. Chad Clendinen

Sick…

The Light Kit was already a great product now you go and make it better.

2. This looks amazing, I want it, I want it now.
    Also, I know this is too much to ask for but, I REEEALLY hope you make a tutorial on how you made that city one of these days, it looks incredible.
    You are amazing, man, I really want to get this.

3. Jonny Munévar

Excellent! Very nice feature. Waiting anxiously.

• It’s a free update. But the Light Kit Itself is for sale. Feel free to buy another copy of the Light Kit or one for a friend if the urge to donate persists. :)

4. Colortrails

I have been looking for a better way to simulate daylight then the default stuff that comes with C4D. Eager to try it out. Awesome that this is a free update for existing users. Thanks for that.

5. tony d

Sweet!! was that city sphere created using displacement or a cloned sphere?

• I think it’s a sphere with a “Cell Noise” displacement.

Anyway, nice renders, to bad I’m still rocking LKP 1.0 due to my own stupidity..

• tronky

hi Tony D!
      I build my city-spheres simply.
      1. create a sphere
      2. press C
      3. select all
      4. extrude offset about 150m variation 100%
      5. inner extrude 1-5m
      6. extrude again 50m variation 140%

et voilà

u have to play around

greez

tronky

6. Seems to be a great addendum to HDRI Light Kit Pro, very realistic !

Thanks by advance !

7. Mark Lawrence

Great stuff!! – I bought the light kit pro already – cant wait for this addition!

Very generous Nick many thanks

8. Eric Chernuka

This looks like an awesome add-on to the Light Kit.

9. Darren Case

Hey cool!! “Free” is always welcome in my inbox!
    Where did you get the city? or did you model it?

10. Longone

Looks nice. Can’t wait to play around with it. Thanks! :D

11. hello! Forgive me, I said through an interpreter. Picture # 3, how you made this town? Or maybe I missed a lesson in which you explain how to do this? I would be grateful for your reply.

12. Davy Menge

Why is this post no longer on the front page? and all comments are gone. :/

Looks good though!

• Davy Menge

Now it’s back again.. weird.. including comments…

13. ogonnokaba

Looks very good, Nick.

Can’t wait to get the update.

Cheers.

14. Classicgamer

Outstanding first this then Cinema 4D R12 demo to play with, i’m not sure I can take much more i’m so happy! This is a beautiful daylight system :) You rock Nick thanks.

• AKEman

Fok it! I just bought it. The pics are awesome the tools should come in handy and Nick is such a cool lad :) I want to give my share for the fellow.

15. lol @ GSG version of the new SyFy.

Nicely done though! Wish I used cd4 enough to justify a purchase of Light Kit Pro :(

16. Josekenshin

Hi nick that look amazing, i have been looking for a way to create a City like that one, do you know when can i find some info about it ?

See a ppl

17. CCIDgfx

Is there any reason why the light kit would considerably slow down C4D?

• Sure. There is almost always a render hit on anything that makes your scene look better. Adding softboxes add area light into your scene which take a while to render. If you are using many different softboxes, you may want to switch to soft shadows for some of the less important ones if render speed is important to you. Let me know if you are having problems. I will try to help optimize your files for you.

18. refresh mail box. refresh mail box. refresh mail box……. refresh mail box. refresh mail box. refresh mailbox. refresh mail box. srsly, im about to jump the next postal worker i see and shove him in my router with a mission to go get my email… mmmmmmm

• hehe. Should be at least another week until the launch of the new Light Kit. Sorry about the tease. hehe

• dont apologize to me… apologize to the postal worker trying to climb his way out of a cat5 cable… hehehe. srsly though, awesome work man.

19. Hi Nick!

Thanks for putting the effort in with the light kit. I use it daily with my work. It frees up my time to concentrate more on the creative process of animating and less on the technical aspects of getting a great render out. Looking forward to the update! Your awesome bro.

Cheers

20. Robert goes

IS there a EDU discount for light kit? if there is I might be able to afford it. =-D

• I priced the light kit with students in mind, actually. I remember when I was trying to buy software, too. Hope you think it’s worth it.

• 1. Create a Sphere.
      2. Hit “C”.
      3. Create a new texture.
      4. Enable the “Displacement” tab
      5. Load a “Noise Shader”, ‘nd I think GSG used a “Cell Noise” or a “Mod Noise” shader.
      6. Crank-up the “Height” (Its in the Displacement tab red.) to a ridiculous amount, lets say two and a half times the size of your sphere.
      7. Enable “Sub-Polygon-Displacement” (Its in the Displacement tab red.) and check all options “Map Resulting Geometry”

Hit render and there you have it. Now play around with the settings and create something you like.

21. Oh man what I would do if I could have this now. I bought your HDRI Light Kit which is FANTASTIC! And I am actually doing a city scene right now with it, but this daylight rig would be the bomb. But I have to have this project done this weekend :(

22. I hope you hold off to take advantage of the R12 features. Still a bit pricy for me though especially after dropping the cash for the MSA

23. Chris

So, how is LWF going to affect your current studios? Are you having to rework the them completely? It seems like scenes with your current studios, in r12, would be overlit and washed out because of LWF needing less light.

24. Hi there Nick

I’ve learn’t a lot from your tutorials and have improved my work a great deal. I was wondering if I could suggest 2 tutorials?

1. A tutorial on creating a realistic city in C4D.

2. A tutorial on water drops that wet cloth. The way the water spreads as it hits the cloth and defuses the color.

Cheers from Stockholm.

25. Stephen

Hey Nick;

Luv the tutorials ? Quick questions.. I have C4D R12 Broadcast Edition (or will this week)..and I would like to purchase your Light Pro Kit but your requirements include Advanced Render. Do I really need that or is it just recommended?

Whats the downside in terms of functionality if I don’t have it ? Can I even use LPK

These my friend are the $69.00 dollar questions ?

thanks
    Steve

• Hi, Stephen, The light kit should work with the Broadcast Edition. I haven’t tried it personally, but most of what you need from AR should be in there. As alwyas, the light kit has a money back guarantee. So, please feel free to try it out. Let me know how you like it and how it works with 12.

• Stephen

Hey Nic;

Bought it, love it. I really struggle with lighting and this makes it so much more straightforward and its just plain fun to play with.

Worked great in 11.5 , no surprises in 12. GI makes a huge difference in the overall look in 12 but at a big rendering time hit.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Steve

26. Rovino

Nick, Looking forward to using the the new updates.. thanks for your continued efforts and gifts.. (Ive been reading Linchpin by Godin)

27. Vision4Next

Love your Lightkit even more after I upgraded from R11 XL Bundle to R11.5 Studio. Now I can use the point light ring. Worth every dollar. Eagerly waiting for the add on. Thanks.

28. Johannes

Hey guys!

Is this one out yet? havent got an email about it.

29. Marcel Buerkle

I also haven’t received any email yet. No news on when this is going out?

• Marcel

Yieeeks! About 10min after posting this i got the email!
      Excellent work!

30. Okay, first of all. Amazing work on the LKP. Secondly, gorgeous city render! Would you be willing to share your secret on creating that gorgeous piece of artwork?

Thank you for your time and effort, you dedicate a large amount of your time to C4D tips and tutorials … and I think I can safely say you’re one of the best out there.

:-)

31. I would be so ever greatful if you made this for maya. You would be my main man.

32. Hey Nick, I was wondering if you have used the sun tag with the daylight rig. I am getting funky positions and I was wondering what the best workflow would be.. thanks

• What do you mean by “Funky Positions”? I didn’t use the sun tag in the rig if that helps. Drop me an email under support if you continue to have problems. I will help get it rocking.

33. I was more than happy to uncover this page. I want to to thank you for ones time for this particularly wonderful read!! I definitely loved every part of it and i also have you book marked to look at new information in your blog.

34. Johnny

Nick,

I am trying to get a well lit cartoon-city flythrough with soft shadows. When I use DayLight, I am getting 100% dense shadows no matter what settings I use! What am I doing wrong?