4 Free R16 Scene Files

Slow Motion 60 fps GoPro HD Footage Test 175 Comments

An experiment at the Dunes with my camera my friends and the dogs.

Filmed with the GoPro HD HERO Camera Naked at 60fps, slowed down and color graded in After Effects with Vintage Film For Looks. The quality of the video is really good for such a little teeny camera. I love that it’s water proof to, so I don’t mind the dogs biting and drooling on it.

Another note. It’s amazing what slowed down footage and a sad song will do to a fun day at the beach. Music is more than 50% of the mood. Just saying.

1. Wow dude I really like this!

can you change lenses on this? Cos i would buy this camera just for the fish eye effect!!!

Nice vid, makes me sad that it looks so beautiful and yet so cheap, yet i have a 7d which normally comes out pretty shit video…

2. Gunnar Refardt

going to the baltic sea tomorrow… just got reminded that i haven’t been in a while.

3. Wow, de puta madre!!!! Nick, that was awesome! I really like it, and those shots, fantastic! Cheers from Mexico

4. Wow, fun little video. I can’t believe that camera… it’s just a bit more expensive than buying a manfrotto car mount and then you don’t have to put the expensive cam on the car, or underwater for that matter! I think I found my B-camera

5. Haha. I watched I laughed. Then I thought how weird it is that you are wearing sweaters and warm stuff at the beach me being in the caribbean and all!!!

6. Niklas

Love this video, makes me happy! Can´t stop having that stupid smile on my face when watching! Nice one!

7. That shot of you running at your fiance is pretty… I’m sure you love it! Wind hit her hair just right ;-)

8. Haiqu

wow nick thats nice.
    especially that you find the time to hang out with your friends at the beach besides all the stuff you’re doin.

makes me happy :D

9. great vid nick !! ..
    great quality too .. you can also slow it down a little more o AE rigth ? or that it’s just the limit of it ? .. regards from MEXICO !! ..

• Michael

Incredible! I had no idea there is a program that can do that. I thought you used an expensive camera.

• ryanroehl

Yeah I thought it was a phantom or something too. But now that I know about twixtor I can see some of the warping, but it isn’t noticeable unless your looking for it. Beautiful.

• ryanroehl

I guess shooting at 1000 shutter is key for crisp frames. Never thought of that.

10. JohnBon

I have this camera. I use it for snowboarding and biking.

You can pull amazing stills out of the video

11. This footage is 848×480 @60fps? The GoPro site says that 848×480 is the only resolution that the Hero 960 can shoot @ 60fps, but your vimeo video is in HD.

• Here’s what the site says for the 960, which makes this confusing.

960p = 1280×960 pixels (4:3), 30 fps, 12 Mbit/s data rate
      720p = 1280×720 pixels (16:9), 30 fps, 8 Mbit/s data rate
      WVGA = 848×480 pixels (16:9), 60 fps, 8 Mbit/s data rate

If what you say is true, Mr. Gorilla, I’m snap buying the the 960 :)

• Just found out I posted the link to the old version. I updated the link above to the one I have that DOES do HD 60fps

• Thanks for replying! I just wanted to make sure I was getting the right gear. The GoPro site has inaccurate info on resolution modes, although they do say “subject to change, pending final firmware release”. I literally just ordered one for myself. I’m very excited.

• PoLerX

there’s 960 hero and there’s somth they call naked hero.
      the naked one is the one filming full 1080p and 60 fps in 720p.

• Oh nooooo… haha. I might have to return the HERO 960 and get the HERO Naked – it will be worth the ~$60.

12. salman

hey nick,
    there is something i was wondering about .
    when you see an interview you know that its an interview just by looking at it, and the same about a movie . do u think they slow the fps in the movies to make it look like what the looks like ?

• Movies are shot at 24fps. Most live television is 60i. So that’s part of the reason why there’s a different feel when you watch a movie vs. a tv show. There’s also a ton of other factors, but that’s one of the key ones.

• Hey there Kert Gartner,
      That what you said sound very interesting.
      Do you know any site that i can find more about those factors?

I know how fps works but knowing some inside tricks about giving those kind of feelings would be nice.

Im really interesting jumping into these kind of stuff.

13. Wow I want one of these. But should I instead get the Hero that shoots 60fps in 720p? The quality in this video is telling me I don’t need to.

14. Sigur Ros, the official slomo band! No doubt there is a vimeo guy in Sigur Ros’s staff !!! :p

• PoLerX

cant remember. just write sigor ros at youtube, will be like first hit.

15. PoLerX

ok, now to serious comment. very nice, thinking of buying it aswell. wish i had the money for it. i understand it comes with a waterproof casing in it’s basic form without all the mounts. why wont you make some seriously motion graphic\GoPro experiments. would really like that. hipster dog wearing pants is cool too.

16. wow, amazing. 60 fps … very nice slow mow. i loooove slow mows :>

an the film look is nice too ;)

17. Stefan

Amazing video! Would like to know the name of the song.

18. Let me guess…somewhere near Michigan City by the looks of it:) What program did you use to slow it down?

19. Hey Nick,

Great stuff. Really enjoyed that! What were you using for the steadycam like effect? Just the handlebar attachment? Looking for something similar for my Kodak Zi6.

20. My all time favorite Sigur Ros song. Awesome Nick! This looks good. My friend JJ has the Contour HD and its just as good a camera.

21. apparently everything looks like every thing is better when nick campbell stamps his name on it…

22. Cool shot! Pretty sweet quality. I feel very much like ordering one of those…
    PS: HOLY COW! THAT DOG HAS THE COOLEST PYJAMA PANTS EVER!

23. Hey Nick really nice video. I really like chill videos like that it shows people true colors, so to speak. I can’t get away that Sigur Ros song. last place I heard it was on a movie called “Enter the Void”. Really cool movie, worth checking out!

24. What the “F” been waiting for this camera all my life! Skater and love all the other stuff you can do with it!
    Thanks for sharing. You just saved me a lot of $. Thinking I might order 3.
    Wow! Cool shit Nick!

25. Peter Dickinson

Nice test Nick. I am seriously considering this little fella now..for those days when lugging my 5d around ain’t going to work. Amazing for its size. Reminded me a little of this film I made a couple of years back on the dunes: http://vimeo.com/5183600 sadly just slowed down 30fps.

26. great film
    but one question!
    has the camera a zoom option?
    pls tell me
    i consider to buy the cam

• No zoom on this one. In fact, there is only a record button. Not even a screen. But, it’s made to be a helmet cam.

• and do you have an idea? for a cam like this price and quality but with zoom.
      it dont made for a helmet

• any zoom you get on these small cameras are usually digital zooms not optical…
      a digital zoom is the same as you taking the footage and scaling it up… meaning, the pixel is just bigger.
      i have a zi6 ($100) that i like, but it depends on what you want… the new canon s95 is the best camera i have ever bought and the video seems to be pretty golden too, but, it is a compact camera size… and $400

27. Dimitris Katsafouros

Ha ha!
    It’s funny how many people love slow motion and experimented with it!!
    Here’s my try with slow mo from a few years back. (vimeo says 3 years ago but that can’t be true!!! oh my!!)

28. BigGirth

I know very little about camcorders and was looking for a less expensive one to shoot some rookie ideas i have. Does anyone have first hand knowledge on how the Hero works in low light? I will be doing lots of bar music shows.

Great simple, fun vid Nick… Rock that cool shit Broseph!!!

• BigGirth

Any other cams peeps can suggest for around same price? Good starter cam for the many crazy ideas i have?

Thanks again Nick

29. Roxxii

thats awesome!! really hope you post u a c4d tut with some cool cloth dynamics x

30. breaking B

Are you going to explain how to do such a beautifull thing in a tutorial?
    thanks to you, GoPro is going to sell many of this product
    Anyway, thank you again that’s amazing !!!

31. Nice feel to it Nick.
    What did you do to slow down the video? Time-remapping or did you use something like Twixtor?

• No special tools or plugins were used. I just shot the scene at 60 fps and played it back at 24fps using After Effects.

32. jkirkby

“Music is more than 50% of the mood. Just saying.”
    Absolutley. Not just music mind you, but the entire soundtrack; as sound effects, dialogue, incidental sounds all contribute to emotional impact. The low frequency rumble towards the end of the clip intensified the surreal and sentimental experience for me. In its entirety, the clip felt like the half-remembered and quickly fading happy memory of someone moments from slipping into the afterworld…just sayin. :)

33. jkirkby

Hey! It’s all done in one long take! Very cool. That guy in the red cap looks like “the gorilla” himself. Any relation???

34. The steady cam adds to it. I wish this didn’t have a fixed lens, I would be buying it right now. Great post buddy.

35. cool vid.
    what kind of footage did you import from that caméra?
    is it compressed? compatible with MAC i guess. right?

36. Jim Steele

Nick, great footage. I have a construction company that wants to start doing some video projects and this camera would be perfect for what they want to do.

I would love to see a tutorial on color correction. I always do it so it looks good to me but I would like your take on it.

37. hey nick
    do you have an idea? for a camera like this but with zoom?…. but with the same price and the same quality

38. Hey Nick, i couldnt find any place to post this. Maybe a sticky theme for requests or something like that would be nice.

I would like if you could help on looping in cinema 4d.

Not very sure if this could be exciting but i was. I thought about being able to manage some motion graphics and stuff for putting them in loop.

Could be used after a big intro in a website to get looping some stuff instead of stopping the entire video.

or for apps or something, it just inspires me.

39. Really cool video. Perfect song choice. I haven’t listened to that album in so long. The whole thing is really sweet and romantic and melancholy. The perfect mix of the 60 fps, vintage film in AE and the music. And that wide-angle lens. Is that from After Effects or the camera itself?

And I particularly liked your quote “Music is more than 50% of the mood. Just saying.” as I’m a composer/musician. In fact I don’t do visuals. At all. I just like your tutorials from an artistic inspiration point of view.

BTW, your fiance is beautiful and very endearing in this “film”.

Peace,
    Chris

40. I love this cam. Bought it for skiing and was really surprised at the picture quality.

Nick, nice choice on Sigur Ros. So tasty.

• That’s what I bought it for. Did you use it on your helmet, or did you get the chest mount? I’m deciding.

41. This film will be quite a heavy memoir after those wonderful dogs are gone. It will be very hard to watch after that. Almost gave me the same mood as the Vimeo Winner: http://vimeo.com/8191217

That’s the “awesome” effect from the contrast between joy and melancholy. One day it will be somewhat a hard trip down to Memory Lane.

Nice one Nick!

42. Really cool camera I love it, considering how cheap that one is it might hold me over for a while till I get a good one :o

43. Hey dude!

I got this thing the other day and freakin love it. It’s so weird. I plan on setting up timelapses for behind the scenes on shoots. I’ve done a sunset from my office window and some shots mounted above my drums. Pretty interesting distortion on some of the settings. Not so loving the “menu” haha. Can’t wait to see more!

44. Framewrek

Damn, it looks like they got wise to you and rose the price… already.

45. yeahitsme

wow, you and your friends are douchebags. i feel sorry for you.

• Yeah, I’ve been trying to trade them all in for REAL friends for years, but I just can’t seem to make it happen. Nobody feels more sorry than I do, trust me. :)

• ThomasM

Please dont’t trade your friends. I just love them… and I’m pretty shure you were just joking… right?

I’ve been watching this clip several times now, and this comment made me realize why I love it so much. And it is not the technical aspect of the footage, the camera, the moves or the color grading.

I live in Norway, waaaay up north in Europe. We know americans from television shows like The Hills, Laguna beach, Melrose place, Beverly Hills 90210.

This clip could have been recorded here (there is a place just like this near by, without the power plant), and the people in it could have been my friends. You guys look amazingly normal (to a norwegian), and I mean that in the best way possible. And that makes the clip more emotional to me, and I can relate to the melancholy of the “film”.

Nice work, Nick.

Now on to the more technical aspects of the footage. I see you’ve used Vintage Film for Looks, but could you explain the color grading in terms of what is actually being done to the footage in terms of color correcting. Let’s say I wanted to get the same look in a photo in Photoshop using a curves adjustment layer.

A friend of mine has this camera, and you won’t believe the horror in my eyes the first time he stuck the camera in the water from a boat :-)

46. Yeahh That looks vintage!!
    I just found an old betavideo cam 200p in the garage so i can do the vintagethang without playing in AE;)

47. Nick, I have been a fan of this site and the work for years now. Continued success and hopefully we can work together on a project in the future.

48. I watched the video and was intrigued. I went to the website and saw more of what this camera was capable of and was still intrigued. I ended up doing a bit more research on the camera and within a couple of hours, I bought one! They should give you commission! Haha.

49. tonyrome

I’m really loving the feel of this video man.. you’ve inspired me. Thx!

50. Chris

Hey Nick

I’ve just got one of these little camera too. Any chance of a work flow tutorial or screenr of how you film at 60fps and then slow it down and apply your vintage film looks?

Cheers
    Chris

51. Jacob Doty

Loved it! Really, the Color Correction really brought out the old school, chilled mood. Awesome.

52. Thiago

Hey, Nick…

Could you mail me or share it here about the way you rendered this movie? Just wanted to know about the settings/codec used and how big this file turned out to be in the end. I have a Kodak Playsport camera and it delivers .MOV movies with sizes about 700kb-1Mb per second (shooting 1280×720/60fps or 1920×1080/30fps).

Thanks in advance from Brasil!

53. really nice man :)
    I am waiting my goPro with the the Chest Mount Harness.. hope it will be great for snowboarding.

54. Marcus West

I am looking for a not to expensive camera to practice some video footage while living over here in Korea would this be a good starter cam? I am new to this site but would like all inputs
    Later
    marcus

• Lee C.

I’ve had my GoPro for 6 Month and absolutely love it, for $299 well worth it. I use it cycling Road and Mountain. You need to run the footage through a stabilizing software after to cut down on the bouncing (iMovie).

Lee

55. GPRobinson

Great footage. New to the blog. Great stuff.
    Got me doing research on the GoPros. I have a Kodak Zx3 and a Zi8 for back-up cameras, but hate the lack of useful image stabilization. Noticed on the space balloon video that there was some shakiness to it. Is the GoPro significantly better even when not slow-mo? Also, did you use the wide angle adapter you showed on the Flip/LA post?

56. This video is amazing. Had smile on my face all the way through.

Brilliant work!!! :)

57. Hey Nick, i’m new here and have fumbled my way through using After effects and Cinema 4d for a bit now, you have helped me tons already. You are the best resource for inspiration and learning for me at the moment, 4 years at a great university and I learn more through you.

Had a bit of time on my hands after watching this (and realising I cant afford a GoPro for a while!) started playing with a crappy video taken on my 3GS the other day, taking a bit of inspiration from your AfterEffects compositing tutorial also. Check it out!

Thanks again for all the work you put into this site, it’s brilliant – keep it up!

58. marcelo

really cool. the colours are so nice. with how soft you edit this? at what speed (%) you use? thanks!

59. So to slow down a vid in AE you just change the composition settings to 24fps from 60 and you get that amazing effect?
    (assuming you filmed at 60fps)

60. Jonathan Krebs

When you shoot at 60 fps about how much footage would you be able to capture on a 4gb card? I’m using a go pro for winter sports and would like to make some cool slow-mo snowboarding shots but was curious on how much time I could fit on a 4gb card. Thanks

61. Jonathan Krebs

Thanks for the feedback man! love the site btw :)

62. you say it was “naked” but in your shadow at 03:11 it looks like you have the little arms connected which means it must be in the protective shell?

yet the picture is super clear, I find mine is much clearer when it really is “naked” and not in the little housing.

63. Eugene

Hi Sir Nick-could you please teach me how you did the slow motion thing-because i haven’t seen any camera that take a video in slow motion. Please.

64. Is the first time when i see your work, your movies, tutorials…
    I am very impressed Gorilla!
    … “Filmed with the GoPro HD HERO Camera Naked at 60fps, slowed down and color graded in After Effects with Vintage Film For Looks. ” WOOOW:) is incredibly!
    Best choice melody from **** Sigur Ros*****
    ALL THE BEST FROM ROMANIA GORILLA!

65. I just couldn’t depart your site before suggesting that I actually loved the standard info a person provide for your visitors? Is gonna be again incessantly to investigate cross-check new posts

• Mikhail Zakharchuk

Track: Sigur Rós – Svefn-G-Englar [not the best song on the album]

66. Cool video

But the BIG question why is the dog wearing pants ????

67. paulo

cooolll!!! i really loved watch this video!! simple but it was like a cinema film.

68. doug

I think the coolest part is that friends are out having fun,and not just sitting around watching other people enjoying life ….

69. mark angel

nice job. my question is; how do u practically slow down a footage shot at 60fps in after effects? do i nid to just right click and go to time remaping or should i change the frame rate at compsition settings? pls i nid ur help

70. Drew

Alright, so what I’ve gathered is that you shot it from the GoPro in it’s 60 fps setting, then changed it to 24 fps using Adobe After Effects. Would Vegas Pro be able to do the same the with Twixtor? Also, did you have it on any of the other settings on the GoPro itself, I believe it’s called multishot or something of the sort, or was it only on the video mode?
    Awesome vid and helpful info.
    Thanks.