C4D directly to your inbox

Motion Graphics Presentation: From Austin SXSW 46 Comments

Here is the video from my presentation at SXSW for the First Austin Motion Graphics Meet-up. I talk about how I got into 3D though After Effects 2.5D and talk about how to compile all of your random interests into a career in Design. It’s pretty scatter-brained, but I think I ended up at a point somewhere in there. Definitely a fun one.

1. Hey buddy,

it is such an amazing thing to listen to your presentations. Very calming and inspiring at the same time! And thanks for the BACK TO WORK Tip! I love those guys……It is always good to know that there is enough creativity and insanity for all of us HAHA
    See you tomorrow dude!!!!
    Keep up doin that cool stuff!
    THANKS!

Cheers,
    DAN

2. Yo! I was a magician too! Spent many days buying and watching tricks at “The Cukoo’s Nest” in Pittsburgh.

3. I don`t know how to put this out. But I like to thank you a lot. Not because of your tutorials (and they are good) but because of your INSPIRING talk. You know how to motivate people and that is true.
    Thank you Nick and keep on going.

4. brett

Do you have Barton’s Talk recorded? If so can you please put it up? Huge fan of his work.. heard him talk at a “Gurus of Tech” conference in Kentucky last summer…

5. Cool talk and I can really relate to your love for storytelling in both the narrative and a math context.
    Keep it up!

6. I like ya, Nick, but an hour of bad audio?

Good content from what I actually listened too.

• Nick, try a Zoom recorder with a lapel. It’ll fit in your back pocket and just run the wire up your shirt. In my experience they’ve lasted hours if not days of use out of a couple batteries.

7. I can attest to the fact that Nick has great product support (as he stated in this video).

I was banging my head against the wall as to why Daylight was blocking my match-move scene in C4D (thinking it was a bug with his Lightkit Pro), so I sent Nick an email, he responded in less than a day that I needed to turn off seen by camera! I felt like a dumb-ass, but also very grateful that Nick took the time to respond to me personally.
    Thank you Nick!

8. wow, I also started in music! thought it was weird!

Awesome post!! Came into motion from a very similar background!

9. nice! some good info here and all of the 58 minutes and seven seconds of it wasn’t boring at all.

now you did mention some recourses towards the end. You think you can include the link to the “back to work podcast”.

10. I thought it was funny that you said you don’t have to follow the same path to get where you are. I did. I was an avid magician in Jr High, played in bands in high school and college, and was a studio engineer before I got a job at a production studio making commercials.

I also recently struck out on my own, attempting to make a stand for the righteous (or the deranged, depending on your view). Leaving the nest was easy though when my boss denied me a due raise and bought a new Porsche in the same week.

Viva la revolucion

11. I thought it was funny that you said you don’t have to follow the same path to get where you are. I did. I was an avid magician in Jr High, played in bands in high school and college, and was a studio engineer before I got a job at a production studio making commercials.

Viva la revolucion!

12. digging on your work sir. I’m just getting my feet wet with c4d & ae and you’re a great teacher.

I live in Austin and I’m curious as to who put this on? Is there a community that lives here or was this just a SXSW thing? Thanks for your hard work!

13. Dude, all this productivity talk, now I’m wishing we reminisced over the etch a sketch animator, that was the bomb. VHS Stop Mo, cheesy magic tricks, ah, memories.

• Hendrik Bäumle

Ohh okay thank you :)

Im so happy that you understand my Question, because im from germany and my english is not so good :)

I wait for the tutorial, i hope you can show us, how to do this…. :)

Keep on rokin ;)

• Hendrik Bäumle

Ohh sorry , I said “I wait for the tutorial, i hope you can show us, how to do this….”, because I missunderstand your answer ;D

I´m so sorry :D
      There you can see I have a very very bad English ^^

14. Buddy, have you really been using this AE/C4D for many years? How many?

…. this gives hope :) Thanks for your rocking inspirational talks & tuts.

• for the record, I too can check off recording engineering. Also been thinking, “Yo! polish them design skills, and stop sucking. “…

15. Jacob

this was a great video to watch. I watched half of it at school and the other half at home. I was just so anxious to finish it. It was great to hear everything you had to say and admit that everyone is different and you didn’t have a direct solution for all the Q&A.

hope to attend one of your presentations some day.

Take Care

16. Nick, I love that you are presenting with Barton Damer here. I followed Barton’s site for a while and found GSG when you critiqued his demo reel. “ends with Jesus, classic.”

17. Hi Nick

Great Stuff and very inspiring! There’s was this thing that you and your mate(Barton if i hear correctly) said that i didn’t catch because he wasn’t miked up @ around 28mins 30s. “If it doesn’t look good…” something something. Could you repeat that again please?

My layout sucks so i thought that thing you guys mentioned could be my mantra.

Cheers!

• I’m not sure the exact words, but I think it was something like “If it doesn’t look good still, then it wont look good animating.”

18. Dshark

The more I listen to your stuff the more I realise how much we have in common. Not just in interest but also in philosophy. You should totally come speak at Iowa State.

19. AGT Design

I’ve listened to evrey presentation you’ve posted, and every time I listen, I am more inspired. 3D is my kind of thing, and someday, because of your intelligence, I’ll have a career that I love!

20. AGT Design

I’ve listened to every presentation you’ve posted, and every time I listen, I am more inspired. 3D is my kind of thing, and someday, because of your intelligence, I’ll have a career that I love! When I get into college, you should come and give a presentation!
    Many Many Thanks-