Where Did The Reflection Channel Go In R16?

HDRI Studio Pack: Cups Render 49 Comments

A customer sent in this series of beautiful renders lit in Cinema 4D. They are lit entirely with Global Illumination and the Greyscalegorilla HDRI Studio Pack. So great to see the variation of styles. Plus, I adore that coffee cup model.

• the geometry of those cups and the gi is pretty simple. you could render that on just about anything.

why get a mac when you could get a better pc for 3x le$$?

• John Haley

haha money signs as S’s. You’ve been listening to to much KE$HA on your Windows Computer. Everyone knows anything not Apple isn’t sleek. Just like Nick’s shinny balls!

• say what? a windoze machine is just as powerful and capable of producing everything an apple can. the only difference is that a mac costs at least 2 to 3 times more than a pc for practically the same components.

• Oh man…
            Here we go again. :D

Here’s my 2 cents:
            On a Macintosh system you pay for the usability, compatibility and low learning curve.
            On a PC system you pay for pure number crunching power. But with a PC there’s no guarantee that your 700€ graphics accelerator or four water cooled overclocked processors are 100% compatible with whatever else you have installed.

I mean, the way I see it it just makes sense to buy Mac Pros to a design firm; they’re not cheap, but as a company you generally never pay the full price anyway. Plus every workstation plays nice with every other component and server, printer etc.
            At this point the hardcore PC man shouts: “But PCs can do all that and more with a third of the price! You just need to know how to optimize your system.”
            Yeah, I know and totally agree, but let’s face it, in reality how many designers or ADs know jack about hardware? Not many.
            The Mac is a very easy way to go. You don’t need to know and you CAN’T know.

Of course, no one in their right mind would build a NET render farm from scratch using Macs. The idea is pure nonsense. 4000€ and up plus service per machine times 10 machines? Come on, get out of here. PC is the way to go.
            You can buy EXACTLY the parts you need and leave the useless bits out.

And don’t even mention farming iMacs… Man, you’ll get loads of warranty cases for overheated parts.

So you see the question is not “Which system is better/cheaper?” It’s “Which system will hold up in my pipeline ON THE LONG RUN?”

And yes, I’ve built every single machine I’ve had from components, and will use a PC as long as I can. Why?
            I HATE Apple. Not because it’s a bad company, but because of it’s earning policy and will to tell you how you have to do your job. And I don’t like the logo.

But I guess the real point is: Why argue about something as irrelevant as Mac vs PC? Spend the time on a great render and learn as much about your hardware as you can to squeeze out the needed amount of power.

• Smithe

Apple’s And PC’s cost about the same and can have the same hardware, the only difference is OSX, which is fine tuned for Apple’s hardware and that makes a whole lot of difference. Try buying HP’s workstation its much more expensive and as an added bonus you get Windows to boot :D

• hi bro … i saw your work and i like it…. plz can you show me how did you make the coffee beans ? i have a coffee project and i really need to know .. :)

1. that reminds me…modelling coffee cups is fun!
    monolithcreative.com/404page.htm

2. Alls yer missing is a nice GSG logo on it. JK. Nice work. Sometimes the simplest things are the most elegant.

3. John Haley

Very clean looking renders. What was the render times?

• John Haley

Ooh wait! Nevermind I found the info on his Vimeo page. 3-20 minutes a frame on a 12-Core. The video was posted 5 Months ago.

4. Rolando arroyo

Hey guys

I have a pc with nvidia 570gfx, 16g Ram. Intel processor i7 920 its that good for rendering animations in Cinema 4d ? With lights and the HDRI pack ?

• Short answer: Yes.

Long answer:
      Don’t look at your machine, look at the program. If your render times are too long to be acceptable, drop your settings or figure out a way to cheat.
      3D is all about smoke and mirrors anyway, right?
      Take the above clip for instance. My guess is it’s not rendered out of Cinema, but composited in a compositing program. So the actual render time could be more or less 2 minutes x number of different light setups.
      Check helloluxx.com, Tim’s got some great content on rendering.
      I mean, the possibilities are endless. For example, after I found Youveelizer, I’ve pretty much given up rendering reflections inside Cinema. Using Normal passes you’re golden. Same goes for compositing 3D in Nuke or Flame.

Or think of it this way: Most Mac machines used by ad agencies are more or less the equivalent of your setup. How did they render their commercials?

• Rolando arroyo

Thanks guys for your answers !

Really love how you guys support people like me new at this craft and willing to learn

thanks !

5. Oh yeah, there’s an ad for Kopparberg cider that we did last week that’s running now on Finnish MTV3 that was completely lit with HDRI kit pro.

I’ll grab the file at work and post it.

6. Shane

thats a lot of coffee lol but as always looks sexy. keep it up!

7. Tommeh

You just made me thirsty!!!!

I love your tutorials, you helped me understand another application…

You could use bump in the coffee cup texture…

I love it.

8. I really really really like your Light Kit Pro! If I hadn’t killed my Machine last week (at moment I’m rendering on a 2×2,6 Ghz MacBook Pro from 2008 :-( ) I would go shopping … maybe I could ask the European Union in Brussels if thy could spend me something like they did for Portugal and Greece ;-)

9. Sacha

My Imac is like a turtle. I saw the tutorial to optimize rendering and now I’m able to do with my turtle.

10. Andrew

I think you guys should start learning how to create hdri instead of buying the HDRI Studio pack.It will help you even better to know the basic of how your models turn out..

• Doing it yourself is almost always a better idea. But, some people in a production environment don’t have that kind of time. For them, there is the HDRI Studio Pack where you can cycle though a bunch of looks in minutes.

• … and I think if your Boss/Customer frequently is changing his decisions like “Oh, and how would it look like when we’re placing the whole stuff on top of Mount Everest instead of Wall-marts Showroom” your lighting should be changeable very quick, so that’s why this should be much faster and flexible. … even though I still do not own it myself :-(

11. noxiousone

Can somebody tell me where I can find a free model of a coffee cup like the one above? (:

12. Hey Nick,
    thanks for your great tutorials. I have a general question for your lightkits an multipath rendering.
    i was not able to with the preset “3 Light Product Studio” to render the shadows to a seperate layer.
    Does anyone can help me

• But if i deactivate GI i can`t render the shadows to a seperate layer.
        How can i render shadwos with mulitpath layers with your preset?
        Thanks!

13. kagames son

Thanks , I’ve not too long ago been searching for info around this subject to get a though and yours may be the most effective I have located out so far. Having said that, what in regards to the bottom line? Are you positive in regards to the provide?