WHAT'S NEW IN CINEMA 4D R16

Softbody Settings Tests For Cinema 4D 37 Comments

Karpeton Studios put together these helpful videos to show what different Cinema 4D softbody dynamic settings look like. Super useful.

1. sebast

Your videos are amazing! Thanks for tutorials and other stuff.
    I look every day here.

Sorry for my English, I am from Poland :) .

2. Very helpful indeed. Thanks guys.

By the by, the youtube videos are breaking the div container in firefox, lastest version… on windows! Thought you might wanna check that out.

Cheers

3. Interesting comparison, Nick. I’ve had a problem where I can’t figure out how to use softbodies on MoText. Still working on that one :)

• if you are referring to the issue that the text itself fall apart,

i think you have to make them editable, connect the vertices and optimize before adding the tag,

hope that helps :)

• I’ve been trying to get the text to work too, even after you’ve converted it to polys and optomised meshes, the results still aren’t very smooth – even if using regular grid for the caps.

If you compare it to the smooth results you get from a soft body cube or sphere (course the geometries alot simpler obviously).

Was thinking about properly box modelling the text so its got good geo but there must be a quicker way.

• Richard Bach

I’ve been having the same issue and theres tutorial out there with a solution: put the text in a cube, make the cube a mesh deformer for the text, add the dynamic tag to the mesh deformer and do everything as usual.

This way the text only deforms as the cube does, therefor distorting much more smoothly.

• ah didn’t think of that, you got the link to the tutorial?

Thanks Richard

4. zkaziee

those videos are kinda “old” i think i know them since R12 was released :x

anyway thanks for posting,always usefull

5. i love your videos
    but how can i use soft bodies please make a tutorial about the !

6. Wow this is awesome! Wonder if there is a growing reference library of the most popular, used effects in Cinema rendered in this manner. Great site and great work, Keep up the good!

7. Weird thing, im not getting the same results with those values.

Do the size of the ball or the number of segments matter?

I cant get the balls to bounce… and im using the same collition noise, bounce and friction. Any ideas why?

Nick, your tuts are awesome! really!.. If you please do more of soft bodies but with different objects like uhmm a model of a gummy bear or something like that.

Thanks man!

• I was having the same problem JV. After trying about everything I could think of your post gave me the clue I needed. It’s the size of the sphere that matters. I scaled mine up to 850 or so and works great.

• Hey SkinnySumo, i scaled mine up to 850 and got some similar results, but it seems that the altitude the sphere is dropped matters too. If i go too high totally different results. Im thinking gravity?

8. Roberto Carbonell

This is so cool I´ve been keep it up with this studio because of the people who work there are related to c4des.com the site for spanish speakers of cinema 4d… I´m glad to see this… thanks Nick… awesome how you stay in tune in the motion media… :D

9. flippyfloop

How do I make the sliced apple spheres in example 2 ? It’s driving me mad. Tried to do it with Thrausi and Xbreaker but no joy. I’m running R12.

10. Mike Hoffman

So….what’s going on with the 5 second projects?

11. Tommeh

Thank a lot nick!
    I just love watching your tutorials.
    It helped me get soo far!!
    It even helped me model an organic body, which is when I reach the problem…
    When I use a softbody, on any roun object, the top and the bottom gets glitchy ( it looks like it’s bunching up and getting crippled)
    Any help??

• Markus

instead of standard type, use icosahedron
      that would make the polygons evenly distributed

• Tommeh

Thanks!
        Helped a lot.
        But is there any way I can do that for a editable object??

12. RvanMaaren

Hey,
    awesome video :)

I’m not sure wether this is the right place to ask this question or not, but I’ve been searching everywhere on the internet for a sphere which consists out of several objects and still has a smooth phong shader.

I saw that the sphere in the 2nd movie probably consists out of several objects.

Is this true?, so yeah how is that possible?

sorry for my long partly related commment :S

13. Soft Body tag and MoText? looks like a job for the gorilla…

14. Elmar

ummm…
    cant find out what the render settings are do u know that or do i have to find out my self??

15. Akilesh Yamsani

do you have a tutorial on how to create a soft object in R13?