X-PARTICLES: millions of particles, fast render times

Upcoming Tutorials: Eyeballs And Hair 89 Comments

Transform

1. Nikko

O wow! lovin’ this hair thing you got going on. I bet it can be a lot of fun fooling around with it. And you can’t go wrong with eyeballs, either. Nice job!

2. Looks awesome Nick! I’m more of a Max guy though need to figure out how to do it there. Need to start learning me some Particle Flow.

3. I am fed up of Cinema 4D. I would like more AE tutorials… there were great !

• Hi nick, have you tried newton?
        the new AE plugin doing dynamics develloped by NAB (AEscripts.com), i’d like to have your POV on this one.
        sorry for being intrusive in a that post.
        julien

• It’s going to be the death of key-frames i tell you!!! :)

I think newton is going to be fun to play with, and we will see a lot of creative ways to use it. I just don’t hope it will kill the classical way of animating. :/

4. just what I needed some inspiration. Will have ago at creating this. Cheers Nick

5. Would love to see a tutorial on how to round edge on complex shapes without HyperNURBS. Fillet Caps options disappear ones you edit your primitive shape.

• Roy maya

The bevel tool is what you are looking for. The bevel tool is fine for flat surfaces but I prefer hypernurbs for more organic surfaces. The only down side of the bevel tool in c4d is that the geometry is not clean when 3 edges meet at a corner.

6. qwerty

i thought it was cool until i saw that it is replicating the work of someone else.

• dave felton

I believe that’s sort of the point.. learning how to create cool effects in order to better yourself.

“Talent borrows. Genius steals.”
      -Oscar Wilde

• Ignore people that don’t get it. Look. Learn. Teach. Improve. Then Innovate. Keep up the good work Nick!

BTW whatever happened to keyframe tv Nick?

7. davcoccio

Cool! Really looking forward to it! actually, while i’m doing my awesome internship in a branding startup agency, i’m looking forward for you to post a new tut! ahah! keep it going nick, you’re doing awesome, although i’d love to check what are you’re project in your working life!
    Peace
    DC

8. hey nick hello from Albania here and I just wanted to say that I would love to see a tutorial for a holographic effect on C4D….btw cool effect on the hair :)

9. Looking forward to it! The AE stuff will be nice too (BeN. could have said that a little nicer)

10. Wicked! The hair one looks like the MTV ident. Cant wait. the eyeball one has great edits. Both look like great fun! Cheers Nick.

11. Can’t wait Nick! The iBalls (based on MvM’s) got me thinking…

How difficult would it be to “fill the five” with fluid (using no plugins)? I imagine it would start with a drop and go from there?

~ A former 3ds max guy. Mostly because of you Professor!

Thanks for the great tuts and awesome products…

Willy B!

12. This one was easy for me (am I actually getting better at C4D?!) : emitter+MoText+100% transparent texture. Add a collision tag to the Motext object+Rigid body tag to the balls…and voila! I will need further tweaking to get the eye texture right though.

• i did this the same way, but my problem is with intersecting the balls each other. where to fix this? project settings -> expert -> steps per frame 15, max solver iter 20 and still nothing :(

13. Made a quick test of the eyeballs in between renders at work. Not too proud of it, but it was a lot of fun to make. I had the eyeballs animating originally but it threw off the dynamics for some reason. Oh well, hope your tut will clear it up.

14. I’d like to second the question about audio; where do you get the music you use? It’s very cool, not just in these but in many of the animations you make.

15. Japes

This is cool. Hooray for hair tutorials and eyeballs! Halloween special in the middle of summer. Awesome stuff! :D

16. Saunter

Sweet, the hair module was actually the reason I got into cinema 4D.
    A friend asked me to make a fluffy text logo for a project and at the time I only used photoshop. Turned out ok but looked so fake.
    Unsatisfied I found c4d had a hair module so that began the love affair with 3D programs.

2yrs on ive not got my head around or used the hair sense, nice to give it a go again looking forward to the tutorial. thanks

17. Harvinder

ello…could you please post your C4D layout for 11.5

18. So cool, i’ve been wondering about the technique for that nickelodeon spot for some time but have been really intimated by C4D hair. Thanks for help making it more accessible!

19. Cool. Looking forward to tutorial.

How do you change camera angles like in the eye animation? Some sort of tag maybe?

20. 8 of 8′s, my attempt at recreating the eyeball concept:

Thanks for posting these upcoming tutorials, it’s great to have a go before learning how someone else does it.

21. heres my attempt at the eyballs…i didnt have enough time to render the full animation GI setting so sorry there is a lil flicker but check it out and let me know what yall think.

22. D_DUB

Nick, were these lit with one of your light kit products by any chance?

23. how do you come up with these ideas?
    i mean really, im right now trying to thing something i could do.

i wouldnt think: aah, lets fill a 5 with some eyeballs…

• btw the eyeball thing looks like a remake of an older tut of yours…
      I remember the cherries tutorial that make up the seven up logo…

if those are so similar i would like too atleast something new in after effects as you said you’re going into it too

• bigbadjon

“how do you come up with these ideas?”

he didn’t. a lot of the recent gsg tuts are based on the way of thinking of “i like this video. how do i do that?” nick clearly linked to the original videos above that he is replicating.

24. I recently stumbled by mistake on this site, but i browsed through it and I liked the tutorials. Very informative, especially for me since i only ever focused on modelling but now im getting into a bit of mograph =D Eyeball tutorial looks interesting, and so does the hair one.

I remember another good hair tutorial from 3d fluff, its different from this one but also very informative if you want to check it out. Hair is very tricky to master and geometry with textured based hair is even trickier, but then again so is everything else!

25. Wesley

Hi Nick, great animation, I like the eyeballs popping :) What codec do you use in After Effects to render such clean video? Mov with h264?

• Kevin

Haha, i loved yours! the hair poof was so sudden, it was funny.

26. Hey Nick.. thanks for sharing the knowledge.
    I im doing the “5″ tut, but I cant seem to find the way to bake the dynamics in 11.5. Tried MoGraph Cache, but doesn’t seem to work… Please help!!

cheers!

27. Thanx for the newsletter letting me know of the upcoming tuts.

Dito on the Hair tut – looking pretty cool. Same with the Eyeball tut.

Maybe after i see your tutorials i can make a combo of the two as well… big hairy multi eyeball thing made collectively from a bunch of smaller hairy eyball[s]… a Hairy eyeball transformer maybe? like in Transformer II – remember – the transformer that came about from all the ball bearings after they were dumped down the military air vent? (if you saw that movie)

again – looking forward to seeing them and playing around with what i learn.

chase

28. Nick, I can’t wait for the next hair tutorial. If anyone can do a hair tutorial that can actually be understood, it’s you. Your hairy letters look very Gorilla-like… Or maybe more ORANGUTAN with the orange hair! :P

29. Hey Nick!

How can we control the eyes? Would love to have them all look at the same object…

Scary fun!

30. Jacob

So.. i get the hair stuff to a point but is there going to be a tut on that “nick” picture??

31. LI’ve the tutorials. When s the hair text coming out? I’ve been trying to achieve this effect for a while but can’t figure it out! Thanks so much

32. federico

can please please make a tutorial on how to make this i think its really cool and im new to cinema so i want to do something with wind thank you and have a nice day

33. Eyasaf

Im new to C4D and you are an inspiration!! I tried playing around with hair and theres a serious problem I have, which is this:

I made a sphere, gave it hair. I want it to fall down with gravity, so I put it in a Mograph Cloner. Problem is now the hair stays stiff. Could you please help?

34. Hi! gorilla
    first say thank you, your kit ^^

today, i have one question.
    i made eyeballs.
    but i want eyeballs change water.

how change???????