Greyscalegorilla Mail

What’s New In Cinema 4D 13 177 Comments

Here is a quick tour video of some of the new features in Cinema 4D r13. It’s definitely not comprehensive, but it’s a look at some of the fun things that get excited about the new version. You will see in the video, that it’s the new Physical Renderer that has my heart right now. It’s a very beautiful new way to render GI that is more stable for animation and much more fun to tweak with in the interface with the new Progressive Mode. I will have videos on 13 with way more detail in the near future. But, for now, hopefully this will get you as excited for the new version as I am.

New Physical Renderer

New Sub Surface Scattering

• Yes, I’d like to know this too. By the way, another great video, I can’t wait to get my hands on a trial version. I notice on the Maxon website that the new version also includes stereoscope. I guess this means more and more hours spent chipping away at the learning curve.

• Nicolas

Except that now you don’t need to buy a 3rd party renderer to do it

1. That looks really great, im forever flicking through settings with rendering and this should make it so much easier.

2. Trevor

This reminds me of the Octane renderer but more polished, and involved. I hope this uses some power from my GPU this time though lol

3. Awesome!! Tweaking and workflow is going to be so much faster with the progressive mode.

4. new logo!!! that’s what I commented on your previous post about R13 release :D yay for the pretty one!

5. GiantSimon

Since you have the beta, see if you can do some animation tests on how the “time limited progressive” render works as a scene gets more/less complex — curious to see if grain/artifacts start to show up as more geometry/DOF/MB comes into the render task.

- – - I’ll be at SIGGRAPH nerd-fest mon-wed.

6. Gilberto

hyper excited as i am as i am hahaxD, when is ready this version?

7. Mohammad Almenea

That look really great. Any one know when the version R13 will release?

8. Matt Gerard

Had to get those shiny balls in, didn’t ya? Heh…

I havent’ even scratched the surface of v12 yet, so not sure if I’ll upgrade yet. Although if the renderer can make an idyit like me look good, well….

matt

9. Gokhan

great tut Dear Nick,thanks for sharing ;)
    by the way Nick,can you talk about ”Stereoscopic 3D” in C4D R13 please?
    I think this is very nice,

Thanks friend :)

10. we’ll see about the physical renderer… Basically it’s Maxwell Render. And unbiased renderers take FOREVER to get something that’s actually useable for animation. It’s better for architecture and product viz stuff when you can let it render for hours for one frame.

• IshethZenunim

No, it’s not Maxwell. Maxon hasn’t said a word about the new renderer being unbiased. If it was, they would, believe me. It has much more in common with Vray’s physical camera, which works in the same way.

The difference between the R12 and the R13 renderer is that the R13 renderer simulates a real physical camera, nothing else, but that makes all the difference when it comes to realism. Judging from the videos I’ve seen on Vimeo from some of the beta testers, the physical renderer is in some cases a lot faster than the R12 renderer, for the same level of detail.

• I doubt it. It’s still a lot cheaper to buy the Broadcast package + Vray vs. the Studio bundle, and arguably you might get better results, although I haven’t seen any comparisons obviously. Will be interesting to see those in the weeks ahead (hopefully someone will).

11. This is just advertising for your stuff. The new render engine is more then an obscure HDR renderer. The standard C4D lights are now the best way to render. No need for Light Kit or other obscure stuff.

• Why wouldn’t he use his kits? Nick does a lot to help and share. You obviously come here are get something from his site. Making a living happens to be something we all must do and so what if he makes money from his kits or products. That is the point. He is also able to do more for you when he does well. Do you get a paycheck? What do you need money for?

12. Gerhard

Cool stuff, everybody seems to be talking about R13 now.
    Really looking forward for it to be shipped in September.

13. Final Render times are always while im sleeping too haha! I love that quick results man. Your right, thats the best for a scattered and adhd type mind that wants to see this stuff quick so you can do much more testing, faster. I love it. Cant wait, hoping my work gets the upgrade free since we just got R12 recently. But at home… well…. cant afford to buy it.

14. @ RyanH I appreciate Nick’s work and products but this so-called tutorial is about the new features in R13 not about how to use his products with the new version of Cinema. The new render engine is a major breakthrough in Maxon’s products. This is the ~ the first real ray tracing emgine built into C4D, old image base lighting tehniques are not a most have now. Finaly the huge gap from Max, Maya, Modo or other software with real ray tracing render engines is reduced. In R12 the best raytracing engine was vRay + 900$.

• This is just an introduction and using HDR images for GI are a big deal in using the new Physical Renderer, so he would only naturally use his products. Perhaps you expected something else. I never thought this would be an in depth tutorial. He even said those would come later. I just get bugged seeing people come down on him for using his products as promotion. He’s not trying to trick you into giving him money or something. I don’t feel that the sole purpose of his rants, videos and tutorials are for him to get rich at your expense. He seems to like doing what he does and he surely earns his keep. I have no problem supporting that, and kudos to Nick for doing shit instead of complaining about people being successful.

15. Hey Nick as you were playing with the render settings I noticed a “hardware” line in the renderer drop-down. Any idea what that is?

The new physical renderer seems like it would be a perfect candidate for GPU rendering (similar to Octane or FurryBall) and I’m crossing my fingers that we might be seeing a hardware accelerated render with this release.

• Hardware will render exactly as it is in the viewport.
      You still have antialiasing in hardware mode though. I think they use it for wireframe rendering. So you can render your viewport with “Lines” mode On to be able to show behind the scenes or modeling work.

16. It is still slow or is it slower?
    and btw Nick, I would like to say something for your next “new about r13″ video.
    Try to show or explain how indirect illumination works. Because I got a reply from another video that he said to me that GI can still be used while you have indirect illu. available…

This got me confused. Does this mean you can use both of them? whats the pros/cons? and why not to do it or why to do it?

Thank you Nick.

17. Guilherme Todorov

there’s something I didn’t fully get. Is this physical render a total substitute to the other method? I mean, the quality is the same, it uses the same stuff? Or is it just for previewing and when you want final and serious stuff you should use the traditional, setting up the effects in the render settings and tweaking it.

• you can use it for both previewing and final rendering.
      The physical just starts with low settings and keeps getting them high.
      If you have a scene that takes 3 hours to render with the old renderer then you will need 3 hours to see the whole image finished.

With the physical you can let it render forever. It will create better antialliasing, better shadows, better GI calculations… but it doesnt mean it will make a more beautiful scene if you didnt build a beautiful/cool one.

I hope i didnt confuse you.

ofcourse it’s not only about quality. it’s about accuracy too. it will handle the scene in a more physical way, that means you need to build things in the right scale if you want more a realistic image.

correct me if im wrong

18. bichinl

WOW!!! Those new features are really amazing! I’m stunned…. very impresive.

Nick just one suggestion for a new mograph screencast with R13, What about something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmKbe__g9P4

I’m trying figure out, with not good results… Cheers from Mexico!!

19. Diller

Yo, how did ya get on the version 13 , where it isnt released O.O
    anyway thanks man , thanks for the vids.

20. WoW! I love this new physical rendering. It´s remind me to Maxwell Render. I´m exiting to see the new character stuff… Awesome!!

21. Brandon

Is the physical render system similar to VRay from 3ds Max?

22. Hey man thanks for this overview, looks good so far!

I wanted to ask how well this new renderer handles displacement mapping and C4D hair systems. Thanks!

23. Marcos

Nothing new about Mograph, dynamics or particles? Cinema 4D is losing field for other softwares (softimage and 3ds max)

For me, the really interesting thing is the new tool to rig and animate, only that. But I don’t think that it worth the cost of the upgrade.

24. Looks phantastic, thank you Nick.
    For me, it seems to be that the Maxon guys are inspired ;) from the maxwell renderer, most of the concept i see in the video is realized by Mawell. I hope i didn´t invest in the wrong way in the Maxwell renderer in the past.
    I´m curious about possible new material settings to define physical correct materials too.

25. nicky

I can almost see the new trend… SO MANY waxy sss renders coming up :P

I don’t know if Maxon will make a lot of money this year, new renderer looks great, but people using Vray will almost sure stay with the current version…
    I would be very happy just with kerning and an improved bevel tool that doesn’t kill your edge loops.

• Yeah I think vary will still be faster, if the user knows how to work with it. Still good to see that Maxon is putting in a lot of effort for those who don’t want to/can’t buy it. And truth be told it does look very tasty.

26. Hey Nick
    you are slightly skewing your result with the ‘render region’ if you don’t have the little slider (on the right edge of the render region frame) set to the top. Just saying. It was about six months before I saw it…

• Talentfrei

Take u current version and switch on QMC… Its flicker free GI mode in C4D.

the ‘ indirect lighning’ in phys render is the same…

27. Markus

apart from all the new exciting features, i believe in R13 we still cant render multipass separately?

• Markus

i meant rendering multipasses without rendering the image itself,

eg. the animation takes 3hrs to render, but i forgot to add object buffer or other multipasses, i need them for post work, i dont want to wait for 3 hrs again when only i need sth really simple that takes a couple mins to render

• duplicate your project file, get rid of your textures, save file as whatever multipass you want. Great for getting a quicker AO render or object buffers, clearly not if you need a GI or reflection pass.

• Markus

thanks ben! never thought of that haha
            really appreciate it :D

28. The new render engine looks awesome – it should really speed up the workflow. That said, I wish they made some release in which they fixed all the outdated technologies still clogging C4D. No text kerning is a good example. Modeling tools could definitely use a refresh as well.

It seems to me that there is a trend among all software companies (biggest offenders being Adobe and Autodesk) of patching up a decade old engine with new features to match a yearly release schedule. I wish some of them took a year off and re-wrote some of the soft from scratch.

29. William Gabriele

GREAT GORILLA!!! :) physical render is fantastic!!! thanks for video!!! :)

30. Hamilton Thorley

Kitchen style Subsurface Scattering sounds sick Nick! I cracked up!

31. I think this is a good place to post 2 problems I have in R12… The fist one: when i select “move tool” my axis disappears… And the second one… Can i access to a history of the creations? I mean, if i use a a 5x5x5 segments cube,i make it editable, then i extrude 4 units and then i blend some edge… can i go anywhere and change the segments from 5x5x5 to 3x3x6 but keeping the others actions the same?

Thanks a lot!

• nicky

Angel as far as I know that can’t be done. C4d does not keep history like for example Maya does.

• cheebachops

you can’t change the parametric divisions once you’ve made it polygonal.you can use the knife tool to selectvely divide your mesh.

32. Great stuff, can’t wait till sept. Would like to see stronger examples for SSS though. Like skin, membranes, rubber, plastic, fruit… not marble or concrete :-) Good stuff though.
    Thanks for the preview Nick!

• in generell yes… but then the new collision deformer for example will not pop up in the deformer menue… so better … you rebuild it fresh.

33. Shane

I am really excited about the new modeling workflow enhancements, as well as the new CA tools (C-Motion and the auto-rig feature).

Im still using 11.5, so this will be a definite upgrade for me.

34. Patton77

Does anybody know if the new renderer is better/faster than vray?

I would prob only upgrade to R13 if you can really use GI with animation — from what I understand, when using vray, GI works with animation…

• IshethZenunim

No, there are many problems using GI fpr animation in Vray as well. You have to know what you’re doing. For instance, the best render algorithm for animation in Vray is Brute Force, since it produces very few artifacts, but it is also a very slow method, so you really want to try and find another solution. Irradiance Map for primary bounces and Light Cache for secondary bounces, for instance. Then you control the number of artifacts and noise by changing the quality settings.

• Something a lot of ppl don’t know of and often overlook is the save to file feature in VRAY. Progressive path tracing for light cache and incremental add to current map for irradiance map is the way to go. No flicker – less render time, no repeated re-calculations. This is one of the reasons V-Ray stands as the best renderer. Maxon tried to save the GI file and use it as a proxy but its trash.

This so called “new” solution is still obsolete. Sorry, but sticking with V-Ray might be a better option then to upgrade. So far I haven’t seen anything worth upgrading.

35. David

Leo, do you know the difference between biased and unbiased renderer? Obviously, you don’t! :D

• Maxwell is unbiased render engine and it try to stay closer to physical correctness but the quality of the final image = render time. vRay amd Mental Ray are baised renderes and the quality of the final image depands of the settings not time. In real life unbaised render engines are faster because can generate previewus fast amd the artist can experiment with the settings. vRay for C4D is slow, in complex scenes previews are generated in a log period of time. In terms o f materials, vRay shader are compex and havy to render but the results can be very realistic with the proper settings. Using unbaised render engine the artist can easily finalize the texturing and lighting process and go to next step: render. The Maxwell like render engine in C4D R13 is faster but vRay is better.

• Patton77

But the R13 physical render engine is BIASED like vray, right?!?

So would you rather buy a vray license and stay with R12 or upgrade and use the new R13?

I would also love t know if the flickering issue is solved with R13 when using GI with mograph/animation work…

This is confusing — can I get some experts to shed some light on this? I think a lot of people are wondering about this… Nick? :)

• Chris

You won’t get problems with flicker, the only thing you’ll have to worry about now is grain. This is according to a cineversity live session I sat through last week.

36. *that means you need to build things in the right scale…

It’s like being a scientist.
    3D is like doing every job.
    You can model, be an architect, you need to to know about anatomy to build a body.
    You need to know about fashion and clothing to build the right clothes.
    You need to know physics in order to make collisions, cloth simulations.
    You have to be artistic to make motion graphics or abstract graphics.
    You have to know about lighting for an accurate/realistic lighting in a scene.
    Science and physics to build water and other materials.
    You have to be able to tell a story to make your animation.
    Be a psychiatrist and give every single character it’s own character.

It drives you crazy and back to your logical senses.

Ofcourse you can cheat. It’s not about what tool are you working with. It’s about how you want to show the thing that you want to show.

It’s a random comment but god damn I feel that im doing more that it needs sometimes.
    I should cheat more.

• Lewis Rowe

Good point Zizos. very interesting and so true.
      The task we have of figuring out all of these complex things is fascinating and sometimes rewarding, but sometimes you feel like taking a step back and ask yourself what is all this huge complexity for? Maybe all we really need to do sometimes is make some appealing imagery.

37. D_DUB

does the progressive render options only come with studio edition or does it also come with broadcast?

• Chris

I am pretty sure it comes with everything BUT Broadcast.

38. Stacy Cobb

I love GI but my 3d is more animated. Can’t wait for you to talk about how the GI looks with animation.

• Talentfrei

Its the same as the qmc mode GI, we have since a few versions… Its brute force mode bud 100 % flicker free…

This indirekt lightning is just a phys. Integrated version…a bit faster.

39. salva

Please, next video can you talk about animation with GI and physical render? I hear that is really better than it was in R12…

40. I’m so happy about the change they made to the motext font menu. It used to drive me crazy that you couldn’t see how the text was going to look in 3d.

41. Mambi

does the physical renderer affect/change/improve working with volumetric lights? I’m really curious.

42. Chris

Nick, perhaps you can do a camera tutorial for those of us that do not have dslr cameras and know nothing about shutter speed, ISO, F-stops, and apertures. Perhaps before/after renders as a side-by-side comparison? These are going to be important when trying to really get what we want in terms of motion blur, lighting, DoF, and other effects. It might also not be so bad to do a tutorial on actual lighting. I prefer non-GI scenes because I get more realistic lighting and results than from GI. After reading a few top notch lighting books, GI is somewhat frowned upon even though it’s a quick solution to evenly lighting a scene.

• Michael

GI frowned upon? What? I want to know more. What books? Can you recommend? I’d love to get away with better lighting and not having to worry about flickering GI junk… tell me more, please!

43. The “physical render” is actually using V-Ray’s light cache technology. Nothing new nothing impressive. This has been out for years…

sad that Maxon is JUST now implementing it.

• Lewis Rowe

not sad. impressive.
      ChaosGroup haven’t yet created their own 3D app with all the technology of Maxon ‘s. They are years behind – If you look at it like that.

44. C4Dluvr

Mm. Physical camera. Nice feature I guess but besides the ‘Fprime’ function and the ability to add Dof/MB without adding 5x/10x to the rendertime I dont see much improvement?

For me the main issue with C4D is the quality of the renderer/shader. Look at Vray/Maxwell. They have the right stuff to make materials look real!

• Just so you know VRay for C4D’s material editor is actually more advanced than the version for Max. AR3 is still behind VRay purely because it doesn’t yet have a true BRDF material system. If it did, its materials would match VRay’s for sure.

• C4Dluvr

Yeah I know. I was really hoping for BRDF besides the current shaders.

Especially now they added a physical renderer.

But I’m not just talking about the quality of the shaders. If you take standard primitives with a default material and just 1 area light and some GI, you definatelly see a difference in quality between c4D vs Vray. Vray is just ‘real’ and has a great quality in light.

• I totally agree with you C$Dluvr. Once C4D incorporates a true BRDF material syatem it can then truly start to compete with the likes of VRay and Maxwell. I use VRay as ny main render engine purely becase of its quality but I love the simplicity of use of Advanced Render. I’m looking forward to checking out the new physical engine for sure!

45. Arnold

Wonder If the improved relation between AE and C4D, we will be able to take After effects back into C4D using things like Camera Tracker.

46. James

:) whenever i watch one of your video’s it makes me want to go and make something, something creative that just makes people smile when they see it… i always seem to fail :(

47. I cannot wait to try it, I have been badgering VrayC4D to sort out their plugin properly, you cannot bake Vray in C4D at the moment which is a real pain. So hopefully this new render engine will work with HDR’s and baking without the need to buy a 3rd party render engine.

Also has anyone tested the camera DOF effect with transparency and in reflections, I have been using Zblur for years, it will be good to finally be able to do everything natively.

48. Hi Nick…How someone change at C4D 13 the setting to rotate as the old one C4D 12 way…Up for up view,down for down view left,right etc……this new feauter confusing me…Thanks!

49. I have a question about Physical Render. How do you know if you are gonna obtain better results with physical render or standard? I mean, can i know, somehow, what time do I need to achieve that quality if i just see the first 5 passes? It´s possible that i achieve that quality in less time with standard render and global ilumination…

50. Thomas

Nice features! Especcially the subsurface scattering looks awesome!

How does the Progressive renderer work for animations? Does it loop through the whole animation starting over at first frame again and improving and improving and.. ?

51. Therewolf

Are all of your tutorials easy to follow using R13? Are there any major interface changes in this version as compared to R12 that would make it difficult to interpret an older GSG tutorial video? Thanks.

52. Hi Nick… I have several problems to adapt my self to the new working flow of c4d 13. At this moment, what i don´t understand is haw center the objets in the view port. In cinema 4d with shortkey “O” you center the selected object or spline in the view, and with the shortkey “H” you center all the objects and splines in the view….now in 13 i really don´t know how it works…..can you please help me to understand? Thank you and sorry about my elementary english.

• They changed a lot of stuff in 13. But, there are ways to set it back to how it was. I don’t know how, but it’s possible.

53. TommyTronic

Just got R13… Thanks for the quick run through… Physical renderer looks great.

54. laren

I’ve had R-13 for several weeks. I’m looking for the Cloth tag. When I go to Simulation Tags I find only Rigid Body, Collider Body, and Ghost Body – no Cloth. Any suggestions? Thanks so much.

55. I just tried the new things in C4D R13, thanks for the post Nick!
    The physical renderer is a nice thing thanks to progressive mode which is nice for quick-peeks of how the render looks like, but I have to say the standard renderer gives me better renders in less time (considering really tough time limits). Nevertheless, given some additional time, the new render engine really is a sweet thing especially considering new DoF, motion blur and chromatic aberrations, not to mention steroscopic images (anaglyphs), which I had to do manually with two cameras in previous versions of C4D. Tough deadlines – stay with standard; when got some time and want better looks or quick previews – physical is the way to go!
    Anyways nice video, showed exactly what I was interested in ;) cheers!

56. anonymousx

hey guys I have specific problem !!! didn’t know where to ask or post on your site …..
    I hope its ok …..
    I’ve downloaded a few animal models from the this website
    from thefree3dmodels.com ….. this one in particular
    most of the animal texture come this way
    I import it etc … then I create a new material etc ….
    when u try to tag it to the model, the texture doesn’t fit properly (like normally dragging it)
    I tried the repositioning it with the texture axis tool … but no luck …. selected the texture tag …> properties –>also tried switching of” tile” and select flat … but also without luck …. I basically ran out of option searching online etc…
    I know theres a way to make the texture work … can u guys help me with that !!
    highly appreciated !!!!