SEARCH FROM OVER 250 CINEMA 4D TUTORIALS

3D Lighting And Render Challenge: iPhone 4S 252 Comments

I saw the new intro for the iPhone 4S and I thought it would be fun to try to recreate it. Then, I thought it would be even more fun if we ALL tried to recreate it. So, with that in mind, I invite you to join the first Greyscalegorilla Lighting And Render Challenge.

How Do I Enter?
Watch the first 11 seconds of this apple iPhone video and try to recreate the animation as close as you can. Try to be as pixel perfect as possible. The lighting, the reflections, the animation, everything should be as close as possible to the original. Upload your video and submit the link in the comments. Then, get ready for critique. Everyone is welcome and expected to give good critique to animations posted in the comments. Critique is based on how close to the original you get. Helpful constructive criticism only. You don’t have to pander, but don’t be rude.

Copy Stuff? Really Nick?
Absolutely. Of course, this isn’t for your reel or anything. Consider it a homework assignment. I have always learned a ton when I try to recreate somebody else’s work exactly. Especially lighting techniques. It’s why many of the tutorials here are based on existing work. I find it challenging and I always learn so much in the process. I think you will too.

But, I Can’t Model
Don’t worry, I can’t either. You don’t have to model the iPhone from scratch, though you can if you want. Feel free to download the iPhone 4 model Here as a starting point and alter the model or its textures as much as you need to to make it look as close to the original as possible.

Are there More Rules?
Not really. Just try to make it as pixel perfect as possible. If you are an iPhone user, it could also be fun to use your own home screen in the render. There are no official winners or deadline for this. It’s just a good excuse to try something new. I will be working on my version as well and hope to make a post about my solution eventually. In the mean time, good luck and have fun! Can’t wait to see your renders.

Watch The Original Video (first 11 seconds)

Transform

1. Anybody interested on posting his/her scene files for learning purposes? that would be great!

2. federico

when i render its says texture error how do i fix it

3. The model is half the battle, don’t let people cheat!

Unless you fancy adding a “But, I can’t do lighting!” part ;)

4. Do we have any kind of a deadline for this? I really want to give it a try but I have no idea when I’ll get time to start :\

5. Dell Griffith

Isn’t it exactly the same as the iPhone 4?
    I’d rather model the Samsung Galaxy S2 ;-)

6. Samir

Hi Nick, this is my first time with cinema 4D and your blog is a pure marvel !!! i have a problem with the model; the textures aniso, grill and screen won’t appear when i render. there’s an orange triangle near them in the objects window.
    waiting for help ! cheers from Algeria !!!

7. Jesper

I took a crack at it. Fun little task and a good idea to make it into a challenge. Not sure how to model the light or materials to make the apple logo on the back completely disappear when outside of the reflected light.

8. jbMunson

What do you guys think about putting all the works together as a tribute to Steve Jobs, now that he sadly passed away?

R.I.P Steve

9. Travis

Fitting that we have this challenge.. RIP Steve Jobs..

10. This is my first try. For some reason I lost the light reflection on the left side. I also have a flash in the video due to activating the reflection on the floor towards the end of the video.

It’s close but so far away. Let me know what you think. Also any help is appreciated. The sides of the phone are noisy and crawling for some reason. Any ideas on how to repair that would be appreciated.

Here’s the link:

Thanks,
    Stacy

11. Here’s mine: http://vimeo.com/30141413

And to follow along with how Nick described it, I’ll offer some constructive criticism for everybody, trying to be as meticulous as possible. :)

Sven: Great lighting. I think you nailed the lighting just about perfectly. The pacing and scale all feels accurate as well. There is no reflection at the end underneath the iphone however, and the Apple logo/text on the back of the phone is visible the whole time the back is shown. Notice in the original video, the Apple logo isn’t initially visible, and is furthermore only visible when light reflects off of it. It’s essentially a mirror. Also, at the halfway point when the phone’s side is shown head on, it is too bright. I found this to be a material problem with the original model that I had to adjust. Speaking of the original model, the little black antenna placement is at the top, but needs to be moved down to the sides for the 4S. Lastly, depth of field seems to be missing.

Jesper: I think you’re the only one so far to include the original sound. Good job thinking to add that little extra touch that most of us probably didn’t even consider. Also nice job on the reflection at the end. Did you get it in Cinema or in post? Your lighting is close, but right before and after the iphone is facing sideways, I notice a break in the lighting. Very minor though. As you already mentioned yourself, the Apple logo isn’t textured properly. It shouldn’t be too tough of a fix, but I don’t want to mention how while other people may still be working on it heh. Other than that, some of the same things as Sven. No depth of field, brightness issue on the side of the phone, and incorrect antennae placement.

This is getting long, and I have to run for now. I’ll add more for the rest of you later. Please be meticulous with mine as well! :)

12. I really want to do it but unfortunaly i cant load the video to see what i have to do on apple site, and i have a i´mac 27″, can you believe it.

13. Juan Robles

This is my first attempt at one of these challenges. Let me know what you guys think. The reflection on the floor drove me nuts so I had to fix it in AE. I also added the oldschool apple logo and changed the name of the phone.

As for criticism, I believe the top spot belongs to Matt, pretty much perfect. Ivan you should turn off the reflection of the floor with a composting tag. And there is a slight mistake in the animation, I think there’s still a Y movement after the Z movement has already stopped. Elmar, I think you did a transparency to the phone which made it so we could see through the phone, that’s something that should really be done in post.

14. Thanks Juan. I also had to resort to AE for the floor reflection. To resume my critiques from earlier (and I hate to say the same things more than once, so I might just skip around on some issues):

Blueteak: You seem to be the first person to address the Apple logo’s visibility with respect to reflecting the lights, nice job. The lights themselves however seem a bit off. They are curved? And it seems the lighting on the right side is different than the left, based on the reflections as the phone turns. Your perspective also seems a bit low, based on the angles created by the top of the phone as it turns. Lastly, nice job on the floor reflection but I don’t think there was a shadow in the original.

JV: A little bit slow (simply crunching it down to 11 seconds in post will probably fix that since you went 16 seconds). It looks like your lights need to be a bit bigger or at least rotated downward some, as I can see the bottom of them in the reflections. Also I think you may need something else to give that one last reflection as the iPhone turns to and away from its side. Nice job on the floor reflection. But the final shot feels a bit tight I think. Maybe zoom out more? Other than that, same stuff as most people with the antennae location and side aluminum texture.

PJDaveK: A little bit short. Great job on the Apple logo’s reflectivity though. You also have a gradient in the background, which I assume was creative liberty. :) The final shot seems a bit dark. And it definitely could benefit from a longer focal length on the camera, as the perspective feels too strong as the phone rotates.

I don’t think anybody I’ve critiqued yet had depth of field, but I may have missed it. I’m losing track!

15. Gotta run again! I’ll critique some more later. I hate to keep dropping walls of text in here haha.

I’d love to see screen shots of all our scene files after this too. Even though our end results will all obviously look similar, I bet our scenes are all soooo different. I know mine’s probably fairly odd!

16. Jason

Hey guys, nice work. Matt your animation is excellent. Got tired of deadlines today and started to mess with the model. For some reason when I hear iPhone4S I think of 4Steve. I’ll always envision him in this manner, embedded in our devices.

17. Rafiaello

Hi guys, hi Nick

I just uploaded my try. Waiting for your comments.

Thanx a lot!

18. PJDaveK

My Last try at this :)
    Many thanks for the critique Matt, I seen it was dark and only 9 seconds long after I uploaded it….
    I loved every one’s entry so many different takes on a simple yet challenging project.

19. I found something I think everyone will be interested in: Apple provides case developers with this site that hosts dimensional drawings of iPods, Nano, Shuffle, iPhones, iPads (you get the idea). For anyone interested in modeling these devices, this an ideal place to start.

If I am repeating information already shared, please forgive me.

20. Here’s a shot of my scene (warning: long-winded post to ensue!):

To explain a bit, you’ll notice I had a floor but I disabled it. I originally had a white reflective floor and a white background object. However to get it to look like a seamless, infinite floor, I put a compositing background tag on the floor as Nick showed a long time ago. Unfortunately this seemed to disable the reflection. Not to mention, a white background object wouldn’t reflect off of the phone when the phone turned (something that needed to happen). Long story short, no combination of floor/tag/texture/reflection/realwall/fakewall seemed to give me an infinite floor with reflections. So I wound up with a semi-spherical backdrop (lol) using no floor at all and adding the reflection in post.

Another thing to notice is the scale of everything (the camera size gives that away). Since I set this up in R13, I kept cranking down the physical camera’s aperture to try and get depth of field. I had the aperture all the way down to f/0.25, which I’m fairly sure is physically impossible. I also had a 135mm lens to reduce the perspective distortion (since there wasn’t much in the original video), and a telephoto lens with a large aperture should produce some pretty insane selective focus blurring. It just wasn’t happening. I was thinking that R13′s physical render/camera wasn’t so accurate after all. Then it occurred to me that this iPhone was probably not modeled to scale, or was modeled in a version of C4D where units of measurement were mostly irrelevant. Apparently this was the case! The original model is bigger than a default 200cm parametric cube object!

Coming from a photographic background, I know that depth of field is the combined effect of three things:

1. Aperture (wider aperture is more blur)
    2. Focal length of the lens (longer is more blur)
    3. Distance from the camera to the subject (closer is more blur)

So with the original scale of this model, I was essentially shooting a house from 5 houses away heh. In other words, a blurry depth of field would be nearly impossible to achieve in the real world and in Cinema. I scaled the entire scene down to accurate sizes, and bam! Suddenly my unrealistic aperture of f/0.25 was giving me unrealistic blurring (I could barely see anything at all). Putting the aperture back to something reasonable like f/4, everything suddenly worked as it should.

Sorry for the long photography lesson! Moral of the story here is that R13 is awesome, but it’s critical that your scene be to scale if you want to use the new physically accurate camera/render! :)

21. Hey guys! Few things, first my entry is coming soon, I’m rendering right now. Seb’s is nearly perfect, best one i’ve seen by far. Not sure my own will come close to matching it!

Few things I thought I would share with people that I changed to the default model.
    1. The camera “lenses” (the glass component in front) are not stellar and tend to be more opaque than that of the real device.
    2. The rear camera lacks the black disc around the outer bezel that the iphone 4 has.
    3. Pay close attention to antennae divider placement!
    4. The rear texture graphic wasn’t great. The logo was hand traced and the “iPhone” and description under it was in the wrong thickness of font. I found Myriad Pro Semi-Bold looked the best. The “iPhone” should match the width of the apple!
    5. I didn’t do this, but the flash component next the rear camera isn’t modeled well. It would be cool to see someone re do it in their submission!

I’ll be uploading mine soon!

22. I know i lost a reflections,and i have not good feeling about it.but when i finished the render i figured out that how can i make a lighting completely same ,but i dont have enough time to did it again .GSG Kits for lighting.Rendered by Cinema 4D R12.i hope you make a tutorial to show up how can create a scene and lighting, completely same.Thanks Nick

23. http://vimeo.com/30223894

24. Attempt at iPhone 4 lighting and render challenge. This is acutually my iPod touch screen. This is all produced within C4d R12 (no post render effects).

25. Mhm, just realised, that this link is just temporary. just click on “dwnload this video” on the left side..

Wo

26. Chris192

I had a go,
    I modeled my own iphone. and i couldn’t work out how to make the apple texture completely white only when the light was on it, so i ended up animating that with a gradient in the alpha channel.what do people think?

Chris

27. Nice “homework”
    In a few hours I’ll upload my version.
    For all I know, Apple uses Luxology’s modo to create their renderings but for GSG I will do it in C4D.
    The shot at 00:46 to 00:51 with the white iPhone looks way more interesting and harder to recreate I think.

28. im not sure if the textures of the iphone model need more reflections or there is a trick with the lights….

i just cant get that solid white reflections…
    i hope for a video from nick sometime soon.

29. rovino

Heres my attempt. One thing I noticed right off the top that I think everyone is missing and I didnt notice it till after an 8 hr render. the logo at the very beginning is not lit.. it gets revealed on the turn.. I totally missed that. I didn’t use lights per se. I used GSG lighting kit but used the bounce cards 4 of then surrounding the phone all at 32 degree angles on the P. then I left the phone still and animated the camera around it to do the motion.

30. Hi All,
    i’m new to all this and I’m having problems importing the textures… any help out there.

31. Aguilson

Hi everyone let me know what you think a bout this test. The most difficult part i think, was the frontal reflections. but i think i did it O.K. Thanks!

32. http://vimeo.com/30323638

Ok, so I’m beginning to feel good about this but I’m still having a few issues. The parts that I cannot seem to get right is the metal texture and in the original video the “light” reflection is picking up a texture I believe to be coming from some kind of environment or sky texture and for me, mine is only seeing it in the dark areas. I’m guessing I need to have it set up somehow in the compositing tag but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

33. Hi Nick! This is my video, that I made before iPhone 4 was launching…I modeled it all and rendering in Cinema 4D, based on rumors and prototype, about 18 months ago…
    What do you think about it?
    Thank you and congrats for the blog!

34. Im just at the beginning of learning Cinema … I try real hard on this one but dont quiet get this … Will you share your way of doing this Nick?

35. Here’s my attempt, I am mega busy right now, so only spent about 4 minutes doing it, I didn’t even have the other video open when making it, and didnt change the homescreen, but the results are not too bad IMHO

Rendered with r13′s physical render.

36. http://vimeo.com/30616168

heres mine. Found the hardest part, was trying to get the subtlies of the camera lens, has a kind of anti glare coating on it. Oh and getting the different fresnels right (helps to use shades of grey rather than just a black to white grad).

Theres somethings i’d still like to change, but its good enough for me for now

37. Giuseppe Laudani

Here is my attempt, i worked hard but is not the same, i am just a human ^_^.
    I’ll glad to get some feedback.

38. Liang

Hi Gorilla, I come from China, as English isn’t my first language, please forgive my grammar errors:-p
    So glad to join into “the homework show”, and the challenge is a little more tricky than I suppose to be at first. I have cost much time to do this, but still feel there is a gap between the original video and what I made. I rebuilt the iphone 4S model with subdivide surface, because I enjoy the modeling, and also painted the back camera lens’ texture by myself, then the lighting I just used your lightkit pro, and rendered it out into AE to do composting work in the end. As the rule is “make it as pixel perfect as possible”, so I paid much attention to the camera movement of original footage. I find it is just a simple track of a part of cycle, the point of interest is on the top of iphone because the perspective warp of the top is very small. I keyed the scale animation only in AfterEffects, the reason is that if scaled in cinema, it may not be matched perfectly, you can fix in AE again but if the pin point of two scale animations are not be exactly same, it will cause shaky.
    I figured out this after make a shaky iphone show video…
    I really learned a lot in this lighting and render challenge, thank you, Nike, I always watch your tuts, although I cannot understand too much, and there are many people like me, in other words, you may have many Chinese fans, haha. Really, we all like your tuts and you, please go on making more interesting tuts, thanks again!

here is the link:

39. First of all, people are welcome to model the phone if they want.

Second, It’s all “Cheating”, Ant. That’s what we do. The only way not to cheat is to go film a real iPhone with a real camera and real lights with no compositing.

40. No official deadline. But a couple of weeks sounds like a good amount of time.

Actually, deadlines rule. It’s due October 19th or else!!!!

41. Not entirely sure I agree with that; is a painter a cheat?

It just seems to me that if you’re going to do something like this, you may as well push the entrants to attempt it all. And even in your own case as (I’m hope you don’t mind me saying) you’re much better at lighting than you are modelling – it’s a good chance to challenge yourself.

None of the videos are going to be used for commercial purposes, seems counter-productive to start half complete.

Just my 2c

42. This challenge is mostly a personal challenge. Make it as hard as you want to on yourself. But, the goal remains. Try to make it look as pixel perfect as possible using the tools and skills you have at your disposal.

Like with many jobs in this industry, renders won’t be judged on how hard it was to make. It will be judged on how close to the original (storyboard) it looks.

43. I could happily bounce this back and forth for hours but I’m just going to say good luck everyone before I feel the wrath of the fans ;)

44. I’d rather continue the discussion if you’d like. I think there is something your saying that people keep bringing up in different ways. Would love to learn more about this idea that there is a “right” way to do something.

45. rovino

I’d actually like the hear the rest of this conversation as well.. 8)

46. I would say since its a lighting and rendering challenge then the model should be provided. If everyone is starting with the same model then its just the lighting and rendering being judged not the model aswell. I see the point of requiring people to model it, but then it should just be a general 3D challenge.

47. I agree with you, I’m not against using preset stuff. It just seemed to me that this particular one would’ve been a good excuse to push the modelling.

Problem with that would be that people would’ve ripped a model regardless :)

48. +1 Ant…Usually lighting and texturing challenges are on large scenes with many objects which require atmospheric qualities.

IMHO the most complex part of this scene is the model as almost any clandestine stage/compositing tag, 3 light set up / hdri will do the job.

But this is a great challenge for people to really focus on high quality renders and a great excuse to play in c4d and develop skills.

I look forward to seeing results and hope everyone learns something.

Personally I love the 5 sec projects waaay more! :)

49. Well since this blog is only just starting to touch on basic modelling. Probably most of the avid followers are not up to scratch to model a pixel perfect iPhone. There would probably be 2 entrants compared to 200. This is a lighting and texturing challenge. I don’t see modelling in the title. Is it that hard to grasp? Perhaps there will be a modelling challenge posted soon.

As an artist I would much rather focus my work into lighting for several reasons. Modelling is not much at all to me.

- Zbrush Artist
    - Professional Traditional / Digital Painter
    - Photographer
    - Professional Graphic Designer

50. fasteddie

My first ever completed Cinema 4D project, finished a few weeks ago, was a Samsung Galaxy S2 / Android commercial:-

100% my work but no pay :-(

Just trying to get into the business and get a reel together.

I would love to hear some constructive feedback from anyone. I don’t think it’s too bad for a first effort, but I guess I’m biased!

In fact, you would make my day Nick if you watched it and let me know what you think – I learned so much of it from you! :-)

What’s that? Yes, of course it uses your Light Kit!!!

51. that’s pretty close mate first one i’ve seen with the reflected iPhone on the floor!

I’m working on mine at the minute. Will update it tonight!

52. Thanks,I’m working on different projects right now, the iPhone commercial took me about two weeks, 5 hours of total render time and a lot of beer :)

Greetz,
    Fabian

53. Hi Ari,

I only can see your profile, and not a photo/video of your iPhone, just make the photo public so everybody can see it and can give you feedback :)

54. woah, yeah. I didn’t copy it if that’s what you mean :P Everything was modelled, textured ect. by me and the lighting and rendering was done with C4D advanced render. Although I’v never seen this image in terms of the cammera placement and enviroment they are like the same :o

55. Chris192

the download comes with a folder called “tex”, this folder contains all the pictures needed for the textures. The folder should be kept in the same location as the C4D file so that cinema can find it. This is probably your problem.

56. Chris192

Your model looks way better than the free one Connor :P Looking good.
    How did you put all those holes in the front grill? was it a alpha map, or am i really detecting a slight bevel?

57. I wanted it to look good for close up shots so its all physical geometry. I know it’s really high poly but it gives the best result. :)

58. Screenshots of the scene files are a great idea. Also, thanks for all the wonderful critique, Matt. Very helpful stuff.

59. Thanks. Glad to participate!

I’ve been following this site for quite some time, but never really posted or participated in anything before.

Which is why it didn’t occur to me to direct reply to people’s submissions. Instead I kept typing big mass critiques. Oops!

60. Try 1000% work and maybe u’ll get paid ;) animation was boring, music gets an F too…

61. The individual camera moves look good and I like the lighting. However you could improve on the storyboarding/editing – it looks too random to me. The jumpcuts are a bit strange and also how you cut in between moves. Check out “Film Directing Shot by Shot” by Steven D. Katz! It helped me a lot with this stuff!

62. The individual camera moves look good and I like the lighting. However you could improve on the storyboarding/editing – it looks too random to me. The jumpcuts are a bit strange and also how you cut in between moves. Check out “Film Directing Shot by Shot” by Steven D. Katz! It helped me a lot with this stuff!

63. Sorry, seems I can’t directly reply to fasteddie’s link…

64. fasteddie

Thank you for the constructive feedback Alex, I take on board your comments about the cuts and agree. I spent most of my time modeling the les paul and everything else so next time I’ll improve on the camera work. I’ll also check out that book.

I’m sure with some more practice I will improve, it was a first effort after all :-)

User – sorry you thought the animation was boring. I would really like to see your stuff, not that I mind the criticism at all, but I really need to see what you can do so I can aspire to that level. On the other hand, perhaps you have nothing to show and you were just trolling? Just a thought ;-)

65. hey can you give some tips on adjustign the textures i really bad at it at the moment my strongest point is riggin and animating right now but i wana get into textures more

66. Kyle Parrish

Nice work/resources you have there, as always, thanks for the freebies.

67. Hello Matt! your absolutely right, I’m also tweaking the lights a bit and textures and see what comes up! thank you so much for checking it out! =)

68. Bjorn

Thanks JV!

Don’t know about perfect… Had some problems getting the aluminum frame textures right. Still not really satisfied with how it turned out. Noticed that I forgot to remove the black antenna stripe thing from the top of the frame. Also, looks a bit too “3D”, while for the original apple piece you can’t really say if it’s 3D or live footage…

69. rovino

Interesting.. your reflections looked additive.. was that done intentionally?

70. You sir, have a mighty fine eye. I too noticed and altered all of those things except the flash. The glass of the lenses, the black ring, the antennae placement, and the rear logo and Myriad text. The only thing I didn’t fix was the flash. Somewhat due to laziness at that point in the process, and it didn’t seem like as simple a fix as most of the other issues.

Our brains must be synced!

71. In my opinion the video from Matt has more realistic lightning, I think. The version of Sebs is sometimes a bit “Unnatural” but it comes close to the one of Matt.

I’m working on an iPhone model which will be free to download soon, I hope I can put more details in it and realistic textures. I’ll upload it so everybody can use it.

72. Sylen

I dont know a lot of cinema4d, but yes i take 4 softbox and made that reflections additive, sorry for my english but i dont know english very well ;P

73. Sylen

and a 1 overheadsoftbox for shadow in the head, 2 softbox have a white color like softblue, and the other 2 have a white color like softbrown

74. After watching and watching all the entry and mine, i think that the thing I m not happy with is the metal texture. I can work on my specular a bit more… For this render I was focused on being really closed with the animation and the rythm of the original one, playing with my curves… Maybe i’ll redo it if i’ve got some time to…or not ;)

75. Very nice render, almost a real iPhone… nice texturing and reflections are amazing.
    Only the home button reflection on the end is a bit weird but overall… very nice work.

Greetz,
    Fabian

76. rovino

Impressive for 2 hrs. is that total time or render time or what? my render in 1080i took over 9 hrs. that didnt include post work. IMO your reflections are too harsh and I feel your iphone reflection at the bottom is backwards. it starts off almost transparent near the iphone and fades to opaque.. seems odd to me.. but thats just my opinion nice work overall.

77. Thx!
    I limited myself to do it in 2 hours.

That’s why It’s still not perfect. The iphone-camera is not right, the reflection on the ground is not perfect, but it’s okay, i guess…

78. Chris192

I must say i am rather impressed by the quality of the lighting that you made with only one softbox, but i will say that you probably should use more than one to get really sexy looking lighting. try adding more, shooting from the side, from different directions.

Chris

79. Chris192

you need QuickTime plugin for the browser to see the video. i think if you download and install QuickTime/iTunes it should (not sure), install this, else i would find try and find the plugin for your browser on the net.

80. GO4tin

You need to make apple texture more reflective, closer to 100%, so the texture will reflect either black background or white light (in this case light source must be object with Light Texture rather than AreaLight).

81. Chris192

Yeh, i thought that to, but when i tried it the apple logo appeared darker in some cases than the background. so it didn’t “blend” properly into the case. I think your right though, That’s probably the correct way of doing this. Shouldve spent more time tweaking the texture maybee :P

Chris

82. Tweak a little bit with the specular, and also with the light settings… try to add a sky and hide it for the camera, I get a really nice “soft reflection” for the aluminum.

Greetz
    Fabian

83. rovino

just a bit of critique.. I didnt see quite the same lighting. there are at least 4 main reflections that I could tell in the original. all at a slight angle you can see the gleams occur one after the other as the phone turns. I didnt get that sense of lighting from your animations

84. rovino

PS dont sweat the jail breaking. If I remember correctly iphone said JBing is “ok”

85. rovino

your reflections are too soft. you may consider trying the bounce card or moving your soft boxes closer to the iphone for sharper reflections.

86. rovino

C4D to AE… make a seq of your animation, in render setting enable multi-pass, object buffers if you created any. Select Compositing Project file select After Effects and make sure you have the plugin for reading aec files in After Effects. That’s for some heavy C4D to AE stuff.. you could easily justexport a movie and take it directly into AE. Also GSG did a Tut on this subject already..

87. rovino

I thought you did a great job with the reflections. nice on the logo reveal. However youre iphone face needs work.. or simply I just didnt get it… I understand its in camera mode but you coulda had something “nicer” on the face IMO..

88. Kyle Parrish

I love the “camera” concept..very creative!

89. rovino

Nice job with the lighting.. a few comments.. I like the way your logo on the apple reveals. I do feel that your reflections could be sharper.. maybe move the light sources closer to your iphone.. the over all gamma(?) of your animation is a little off.. kinda grey and muddy.. seems like your contrast is not correct..

90. Ari Alexander

You now can check it out at the following youtube link…sorry took zoo long xhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NOD7NtGxss

91. GO4tin

Thanks for your comment. About gamma: I’ve placed 20% white layer above all video, because in my opinion it is more similar to original video.

92. Nick G.

I feel dishonest. I cheated with the texture. I used after effects to hide the apple logo when it was in the shade. Just had to get that off my chest.

93. Try making the color a layer and adding a fresnel – you can animate the gradient to make it appear and disappear as you want. That’s what I did anyways – seemed to work. How many lights are you using in your scene? They are working nicely.

94. Kyle Parrish

very nice…you might try to blur the reflections of the light by going into the materials editor for the front and rear textures and selecting reflection then towards the bottom on the right is blurriness, set it somewhere between 5% – 7%. Just wanted to help!

95. i tried getting the vid straight off apple’s site myself but could not for the life of me figure it out….sad vimeo silent movie. haha

96. Chris192

I would get a audio editing/recording program, I use NCH Wave Pad. Then record the “sterio mix” mic. the sterio mix is everything that is being played out the speakers, so if you recorded whilst watching the vidio you could just grab the audio off it. on some OS’s you need to eneble sterio mix, there are plenty of guides on the net.

Chris

97. Nick G.

I used four soft boxes total. The two in front are angled pointing downwards, at a higher intensity, and are 40* away from the center. The two in the back are at 150* and -150* at a lower brightness and are not angled. Then i just put a completely white backdrop behind the whole setup and made the soft boxes non visible to the camera. I animated both the camera (to move backwards) and the iPhone (to spin around. Thank you for the advice, I’m definitely going to try that RIGHT NOW!

98. Nick G.

You could probably look for the commercial on youtube, and then use a youtube video download program

99. Nick G.

yo, it might just be me, but it kinda looks ilke you’re frontal texture is more blurred than the back texture. I think the reflections near the end need to be sharper.

100. Chris192

Its hard to critique that, i cant see much wrong :P . but if someone put a gun to my head and told me to choose somthing, i would say the aliminium/silver looked a bit plasticy, perhaps increase the fresnell reflections and drop the specular.

Chris

101. Thanks, i did that in my first render but i was getting some strange white pixels over the blurred area. the thing is it looks good when i preview but not the final render.

Any idea what would cause that?

102. Nick G.

That is probably better. Listen to my dear friend chris, who has just given me a program name that will be downloaded shortly off of The Pirate Bay. “Not illegal in the czech republic”

103. Nick G.

yeh dude, you’re render is pretty savage. Im really glad that this project opportunity came up. I have learned so much so fast. HOMEWORK IS FUN! Thanks Nick!

104. Chris192

No need to pirate the software, if your after a free program Audacity is open source and will easily do this. second to that WavePad, has a free version, just click “get it now” on the website.

105. Chris192

yeh, the background is pure white on this one. try also adding slightly (around 5% ish) blurry reflections to the black texture. I would also turn down the reflections slightly on the glass texture.

if you want to add that funny red blue color to the glass on the lens, you can put a gradient with lots of colors in the transparency channel.

Chris

106. Ok i got it,
    i feel dumb, i had the blur on the plane that i used for the reflections, instead for the textured material itself…

Thanks for the help.
    Here’s the new render.. http://vimeo.com/30377972

107. Daniel

Legit! wtg. just a little less reflection in the floor.

108. Thanks Daniel!
    Yes, too much reflection… I did not really want to retouch with AE, I’m lazy! :-D
    Another major thing that should be added is a little noise on the illumination texture. And more apple visibility in the dark condition.
    Sorry for my english! :-)

109. Nick G.

Hahah, in my opinion son, this looks better than the original. No jokes.

110. He man,

Looking nice but a little bit of antialiasing will help and also, your floor object reflects on the back of the iPhone, it looks a bit weird. Your screen a little bit to bright, overall good animation.

Greetz,
    Fabian

111. Nick G.

Hey man,
    It looks to me like you used three soft boxes. The first one is not wide enough. The second one should be at more of an angle like more behind the phone. Also there should be 4 soft boxes. And the iPhone logo should only appear in the refection.

112. Mark Robb

I love the aluminum material you used on the iPhone. Bother to send screen shots of the material?

113. bacardi

Thanks for the tips :) I’ll again if i have the time since i’m a bit busy at work atm :) Cheers :)

114. Goood work!
    I think it’s one of those who are closest to the original video. Only one major thing: at 90° rotation the two faces of phone should be totally reflective (to have that I put a light panel behind the phone).
    I made the animation with the original video in background in C4D, it is the easiest way to achieve the animation goal.

115. Liang

Hi, Gianni Lorusso.

I should say you never let any samll mistakes go.

Yes, it may be the greatest disadvantage. It is a mistake of lights setup i think. If the number? position of lights changes a little will make a different look. I matched a lot reference to the original one, but still miss the 90°reflection finally, I realized I need to do the match work again from beginning…

Because I am also doing some script work in c4d(make a simple plugin to support modeling), I didn’t continue to fix it. but your tips are really nice! Thank you. I came up with an idea to output the front and back of the phone and adjust the gamma with them also(As the very dark area is still dark, it maybe work), still too troublesome… And I think I need to look at my workflow again

A lot of words again, forgive me