Where Did The Reflection Channel Go In R16?

Creative Mornings Chicago 45 Comments

I was honored to speak at Creative Mornings Chicago last month. I talked a bit about my first job, trying to get closer to 99% happy, how MK12 got me into all this, being the worst in the room, my leap from client work to personal projects, and a quick story about how I ended up with my name on a pinball machine.

Thanks to Mig, Trunk Club, the film crew, and everyone who helped out that morning. Thanks so much for having me.

1. Remco

Great talk, thanks Nick! Really like the fact you watch your own tutorials sometimes ;)

2. Really good spoken! Thank You for sharing it.
    One day I see You at “Iconoclasts”

3. Awesome job. You really are inspiring. Graduated college 4 years ago and am still having trouble breaking into the animation/graphics industry. Maybe there’s still hope. :)

4. Great talk Nick, thank you! You amazement at the animation that got you interested in motion graphics was EXACTLY like listening to my thoughts, when I saw my first 3d cartoon (Beastwars) in the late 90s: how the heck is this made? I knew it wasn’t filmed or drawn in conventional way, finding out about 3d was like learning the coolest magic trick ever! :D

5. Guilherme Todorov

Hey Nick, just watched it. Awesome stuff.
    Can I ask you something silly? What is the font that Greyscalegorilla is written in the final “slide”? Here is a screenshot http://i2.minus.com/inZDRVva0ny3E.jpg
    this font is awesome, I am looking for something similar for wuite some time
    thanks :)

6. sean

great talk nick, been contemplating my full time post house job at the end of march to go freelance to have a stab at freelancing and putting more time into better projects. im terrified but the post house fast turnaround cheap jobs being ruined by agencies are killing me! very timely you putting this up! thanks!

7. Stanislav

I think you are at that point of your carrier when you have to feel sattisfied that you have become the person to others for whom they have start working in the motion graphics etc. You are the muse, at least for me which is not something small! Keep doing what you are doing and give happines to others! I have a dream to meet you personally but this is kind of immpossible.

P.S. Excuse me for my bad english.

8. Worldtraveler666

“Work somewhere where you can be a little humbled by someone else..” Absolutely true… Learning from people who are awesome at what they do is invaluable. What you can take away will help you grow as an artist and person. Fantastic interview today….Loved it…

9. Dhyan

great talk, nick, I especially liked the part where you say watch your own tutorials. It made me laugh a lot. Congratulations, man, and all of success!

10. Richie Williamson

Yes, Gorilla, It is all about the passion. I had a huge smile on my face all the way through your talk. You are the best!

11. wayne

Very inspiring stuff nick, what you said 2 podcasts ago is still ringing in my head and now you’ve done it again ! you really don’t know how much your efforts mean to us.
    (sorry for the huge comment).

I know you’re a busy guy but was wondering if you could help me out with a couple of ideas I’ve been having about creating a plugin for C4D.

First off, I have never created a plugin.. however I love to work with C4D and I’d like to think that I understand most of its features. The problem is that I have never coded anything in C.O.F.F.E.E or used expresso nodes that much. (I also have no experience in other coding languages like c++, but I’m sure some buddies of mine could help out with that). Due to some ideas for a plugin I’ve been having, I’d like to start learning how to use these tools to my advantage.

By the way i’m sorry this post is getting long and boring, but I know you’re awesome at this stuff so I had no choice but to bore you with my questions ;)

Is it a problem if you could point me in the right direction ?
    - Is there any tutorial or documentation on building plugins at all ?
    - What should I learn first that’s most important ?
    - Any pointers you could offer me on workflow?

I hope I’m not coming off as the jerk who asks the magician to reveal his tricks but I just don’t know where to start :(

Thanks again man,
    keep doing what you do cos its just a HUGE help to us all !

12. farzin

thanks nick . it helped a lot.
    you are amazing. and good luck.

13. Feeling compelled to say that you really inspired me today.

thank you.

14. Marten

Great video nick. But which font did you used for the words Nick Cambpell?

15. Ismael

Great talk Nick, your one of my heros in the design world. I think that sharing what you know with others it will always take you a step forward. You get what you give! Im glad you made this blog!! Hopefully I will be in your shoes a couple years from now and then sure give you credit for it. VIVA CINEMA 4D!!

16. Nestor

I want to take to opportunity THANK YOU Nick to share with us all your experience and knowledge, I really appreciate, no only learn technical and creative stuff, but all inspirational initiative to be Happy. THANKS all at GSG :)

17. Loved it Nick. Well done. Reminded me a bit of Steve Jobs’ vision of our world:

“When you grow up you tend to get told the world is the way it is and
    you’re life is just to live your life inside the world. Try not to bash into
    the walls too much. Try to have a nice family, have fun, save a little money.

That’s a very limited life. Life can be much broader once you discover one simple fact: Everything around you that you call life was made up by people that were no smarter than you and you can change it, you can influence it, you can build your own things that other people can use.

Once you learn that, you’ll never be the same again.”

Steve Jobs – “One Last Thing” documentary

18. Great Job Man! I really LOVE what you are doing. Thank you so much for all your efforts to share with us your knowledge.

19. Mike aljazaere

HI nick..
    thanks for your energy presentation and for your effort to help the community..
    I have a questions for you plz ..

- How did you deal with those who steal your works
    or hacking your plugins-photos-kits..etc ?

- what is the benefit and the profit you earned from your works , when they’re stolen after a
    couple of days and published on other sites ! ?
    ” especially your are a small individual business !”

- How did you feel when you see your works or tuts are stolen by others and say
    these are mine, my ideas, my techniques !!?

I think these days are very difficult to make an individual business
    and make an individual mark in creative work..!
    coz of these viruses of ” copy & paste” other works,ready cooking projects and
    the world of greed and UNAWARENESS clients around us !

thanks for you nick..
    I really appreciate and respect you and your creative works !

Cheers !
    M.J

• Don’t worry about people who will steal or rip off your work. Concentrate instead on making your clients or customers happy. It can be hard, but it’s always time better spent.

• Mike aljazaere

you are right ..
        that need a very positive spirit..
        and i’m happy you hade it ;)

20. PixBox

Hi Nick,

what I like so much about your site is not only the enormous amount of (really good) tutorials but also the variety of subjects. Your great talk again proved it I think.
    For me it was very interesting to hear more about the background of yours. How people got where they are always has interested (and sometimes inspired or encouraged) me.
    So thanks for sharing your speech and I am looking forward for more to come.

PS: When I have become 90+ percent happy in what I am doing I guess I will share that experience as well. But still a few steps to go ;-) )

Regards from the slightly winterly Germany
    Matthias

21. You’re a great inspiration. Keep what you’re doing.

Cris

22. Arafat Ibrahim

Really loved the Video it simply uplifted my spirit.

23. luis

Hi Nick!

I have a question: I’m working in a scene with dynamics, everything is fine and ready to render, but when i do a quick test render, the objects with the dynamic tags don’t show up in the final render, but they work fine in the editor view. The final render output don’t show the elements interacting with the dynamics..

Hope you could help me.

Thanks.

Luis.

24. Tiago

Great speech!
    You’re quite an inspiration!

Greetings from Portugal!
    Cheers!

25. Thanks! always inspiring me to start my own blog and do the work I want to do!

I’m a motion graphics teacher and think I could really bring some great shape animation tutorials to the world!

26. A great Speech. Enjoyed watching it while having my morning coffee! :)

Made me laugh at the point with the “green doesn’t go with red” and you looked down at you… ;)

cheers from germany,
    marscell

27. Was nice to hear a pro talk about the client work/personal work balance. Thanks for all the great tutorials, always the first place I come to for 4D help, cheers!

28. You’d probably already know, but you’re an inspiration to many: including me.

I have recently made a new header for my site and just realized: Damn, in just 3 months, I’ve learned the basics + some more things, without much study, but thanks to GSG!

It’s always interesting to listen to you. Not just because talk like you’re having a conversation with a friend, but because there are a lot of things that I recoqnize(?) – taking photo’s of building, water and more buildings.

Keep up your work: you are great!

Gr. Rens

29. Mike Daniels

From a fellow suburban Detroiter who is about to graduate from MSU, I wanted to say awesome talk and thanks for all the tutorials and inspiration! I’ve only been using C4D for less than a year, but this site has been an invaluable resource! If I land a job using C4D, I’ll have you to thank.

Thanks for everything!

30. lunga shezi

Great talk that was inspiring Nick, so glad i discovered your website.

31. Luis Poggi

Nick you are an inspiration to me, thanks for all the tutorials, the podcast and everything in greyscalegorilla. Thanks for everything!!!

32. Mike DayDreamer T.

Well, you gave me the inspiration to start thinking about leaving Germany for the U.S. or someplace else, where shiny balls with orange strips are in demand.

May be some day you see my name ;P Thanks!

33. Hey.!!. I am from india ( Some south rural – village city). I have been watching your videos, suggestions… since 2008. Its helps me a lot, and more inspirational.Thankyou somuch for that., and for this video too.., U r my Inspire (Role Model).Thanks Nick.

34. Great talk Nick!! just what I need for my actual situation!!… now I have your perspective! Greeting from Monterrey, México!