Weekly GSG - Join The Newsletter

CG Training From Neil Blevins 14 Comments

neilblevinsSite
San Francisco Artist Neil Blevins has a great CG Education page. There you will find dozens of posts full of technical, design, and artistic knowledge. His Lighting, Materials, and Art Theory categories are a must read. And, even though many of his tutorials are based on 3ds Max, most concepts can be applied to any 3D package including Cinema 4D.

Visit His Page

Hat Tip to Colin Evoy Sebestyen

1. Robo

Link is not clickable or maybe I am missing something.

2. David

Awesome post Nick. I love the stuff on art theory and creating visual interest with contrast. Really useful for both motion design and vfx work. Also makes me want to go learn 3ds max so I can follow along with his material design sections. I’d need a pc first though… or bootcamp… bleh

3. Quick comment/request/suggestion: I’ve been curious about Vray for C4d for awhile and you have, in one of your tutorials, mentioned playing around with it. Could you do an intro tutorial on Vray for C4D? Maybe break down some of the pros and cons and how it compares to C4D’s renderer. I would be very curious to hear your opinion and maybe see one of your renders with it.
    Gracias. Merci. Danke. And thank you.

• David Alejandro

I have to agree with this one, I would love to see and learn a bit of VRay for C4D

4. Neil Blevins

Hey guys. Glad you’ve enjoyed my tutorials. But please note, these are not tutorials from Pixar. I write these in my own personal time, and while certainly working at Pixar has taught me many things about art technique, I am not specifically teaching anything Pixar related. So you may want to change the headline. Again, thanks for visiting!

• Mat Silva

Hah I just shared it with that title. I will fix it.
      Thanks for the resource Neil :)

5. Worldtraveler666

Fantastic post. So nice to get info from different artists and there is tons of information here about some fundamentals of 3d rendering and design. Started going over it last night and went through the whole thing….

6. Ahmed Kamel

Hi I am from IRAQ
    your site is the my best friend
    thanks for evrythink

7. Gionata

I can work better and increase my (pro?) skills with your tutorials. Thanks so much from Italy

8. Joey Korenman

AWESOME resource. He really gets into the basics of 3D theory, and his lighting / texturing articles are top-notch. Thanks GSG!

9. Christopher Brown Brown

Thank so much for this, Nick!
    I started reading his posts last night and couldn’t stop myself.
    Along with Neil and GSG I have high hopes for my future work.

Thanks again to Neil Blevins your insight is much appreciated :)

10. Marco Diaz

Thank you so Nick for sharing this post. Neil Blevins’ work is amazing.