SEARCH FROM OVER 250 CINEMA 4D TUTORIALS

Pause 2014 ID Airspace + Breakdown Video 47 Comments

Wonderful title work from Rich Nosworthy for this year’s Pause Fest in Melbourne. Extra bonus is the Breakdown video showing a lot of the rigging and scene files in Cinema 4D.

Breakdown

Transform

1. That was amazing! I like the concept so much. Its so random that you have to figure out what is what. Great work. :)

2. Donart

This video is amazing . Great work and thanks alot NICK for posting this and more thanks for the breakdown video because I LEARNED something that I didn’t know how to do until now thank youuu :)

3. Adam Forbes

AMAZING! I see some tags on your cameras and a few other places that i’ve never seen before. Do you mind sharing what those are/from?

• Dylan

Those are Vray tags. You have to add them to things like lights and (sometimes) cameras to get them to work correctly with Vray. Vray also has its own compositing tag, etc.

4. rich nosworthy

Thanks for featuring it Nick, me and wes from sono sanctus put a lot of love into it, and was much fun to make.

Hey Adam, i think the tags you mean are vray tags, the one on the camera is used to define your cinema4d camera as a vray physical camera.

Thanks very much

5. Ronny

I love the absurdity of this clip. The kind of detail that makes these ‘things’ become characters. So awesome! And some really interesting technical approaches in there! I always wondered about how you ‘direct’ a tentacle (now I know: null objects, tracers, sweep nurbs; thanks for showing!). I’d love to browse through those source files. I wonder if Rich would be open to share those. I think that would be massively interesting!

6. Carlo Sa

Amazing work Rich!!!
    This and all your dailies are a huge inspiration. I have a question do you usually sketch out things that your going to model. Also ive seen your breakdowns were you paint onto models directly what software do you use for that. Ive been messing around with 3Dcoat and ptex i was wondering what your workflow was for texturing.

• rich nosworthy

Thanks man, no i don’t always sketch out stuff, but sometimes its easier to get an idea down of what you want to make before you start jumping into modelling. I tend to go off on tangents so if I’m doing something complex or specific i like to sketch to concept it first.

As for texturing I usually start in body paint, save out a uv layer then work in some textures in photoshop. Theres normally a lot of back and fourth between the two. I like photoshop for layering stuff up, but bodypaint is great if you need to paint on the model. Am sure theres better ways though if you have something like mari, i’ve just not got round to trying it out

• rich nosworthy

To be honest 95% of the textures used in this were just cubic or flat projections, i think i only ended up uv’ing the squid, and that was just done in zbrush.

• Carlo Sa

ah i see very cool thanks for the response. keep it up!

7. vitto

inspiring work rich! thanks for the breakdown vid, the sails are my favorite part, i get the cloth and wind work but the way they pop with xpresso sure looks cool!

8. Mr. Pinoux

KILLLAAAAHH.. Damn. Very Impressive :) Thanks for sharing.

9. Curumins

Awesome, as usual and as all his work. Congratulations.

10. Dennis

Amazing! Would love to know how many hours went in to the whole process!
    Good job!

• rich nosworthy

Thanks Dennis, it was about 7 or 8 weeks of evenings and weekends on the side of my day job. Definitely started off quite scattered then came together more in the last few weeks, thanks to getting the sound design locked down.

11. Tomsuth

This is soo good.
    I can’t even get my head around most of it….

Thanks for sharing…
    Very inspired.

12. flippyfloop

Great work, I’m inspired.

My rigging skills are poor.
    Can anyone point me towards some good tutorials on rigging in C4D ?
    Time to sort this ;-)

13. David Brodeur

Awesome stuff Rich, looks like it was ton of fun to work on.

14. Allan Onderick

Rich, great work. Can you do a short video blog on how you did the cable rig?
    or explain it.
    Thanks
    Allan

• rich nosworthy

I’ll put a video of it on my todo list. It pretty much a single spline with the points linked to nulls with xpresso. Then the cables are just sweep nurbs and the details use the align to splinetag. Theres a bit of rigging in there too to make the points blend between the start and end position of the rig. Will do a vid soon

• Allan Onderick

or you could make Nick and Chris do it.
        Allan

• Anwar Hoogland

This was actually the first thing I was wondering as well. Seems like a very usefull way of working with these sort of objects.
      Are the horns in the Lotte machine done the exact same way?

• rich nosworthy

ah no those horns were actually done with spline ik, part of the character tool set. The model is bound to joints which are driven by the spline. Its a really cool way of controlling joints

15. Adrien

Great stuff! Watching your breakdown really makes me feel like improving my rigging skills so can anyone recommend good tutorials on this topic? thx

16. Pelle

Wow that some really good work!
    Love how he implemanted the motion blur. wich is very under rated in c4d in my opinion :)

• rich nosworthy

cool man, you pretty much made it exactly. I used spline dynamics for the tentacle things, but the joint chain you’ve got is a really good way to do it too

• campa

thnx, spline dynamics was my second thought, i will give it a try

• Lukasz Pason

omg… You totally just taught me that you can do repeating in the timeline tracks with this. THANK YOU!!!!!

17. Roberto Tafuro

Oh my…..
    Rich, this is an AMAZING animation. The sound design and the animation are melted in a superb manner. Your skill and your imagination run together, and the fact that you are sharing your experience here (thx to GSG and Nick of course!) it means to me that your love and passion for this work are huge!
    Thank you so much for your replies here, a new world is open in front of my eyes.
    Sorry for my bad english!
    Keep it up!

• rich nosworthy

i used xrefs for the horns on the lotto machine spot. But probably didn’t need to. I love xrefs but sometimes the animation goes screwey on them. And they actually broke in my scene just before the final render. So i’m always a bit hesitant to use them. Most of the time they work great but if the one time they break is just before a deadline its a bit painful. In principle they are awesome tho

• Farhad Sepahbodi

Thanks for the info..Did you experience slow downs? and how did you over come them?

• rich nosworthy

From Xrefs? No not really. There’s always some slows downs when you get into complex scenes, the key is just stick things on layers and disable what your not using. That and hardware rendering to check anim timings.

Theres a great post by matt frodsham on scene optimisations here

18. andrew

rich first off i want say what an epic job…i enjoyed watching it…but can you teach us how to make the first two animation in the animation rig section…the spinning on both those little guys are awesome….so natural..i would love even just small say so in the factor….please keep up the great work!!!

19. Lukasz Pason

Wonderful man!! Thank you for all of the extra tid bits of info here too! I’m sure a lot of people will be inspired to try some of this stuff on their own! Looking forward to anything else you’re going to show! =)

20. Although the animation is wonderful, for me the lighting, is just amazing !

21. Soni991

Hi i would like to know for the video of 1.12sec how long does it took to render. After rendering sequence which software u use for editing the video?

• rich nosworthy

probably took about a week of evenings to render, some of the simpler stuff was about 2-5 mins per frame, and the most complex scenes went up to about 8-10 mins per frame. Thats on a 6 core pc with 32 gigs of ram. As for editing, it was all done in After effects.

22. Nick-
    Amazing! Man, I can see so many tutes coming out of these. I would love to see something on the xpresso and Mo-Tags that were used.

23. Micha? Wójtowicz

Hi Nick!

I just want to say that this is really cool inspiration. I really love the idea of that rope rig around 1:00. Was wondering how it works for a while and made an XPresso driven rig that looks close to that one (without materials, but still – it works).

For all that want to see how it works, heres the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6zigom0ov2hp5ru/rope%20rig.c4d