Is Adobe Creative Cloud Right For You?

June 4, 2013 - By

With the Creative Cloud launch on the Horizon, there is a lot of questions, discussion, and interest in Adobe’s new subscription model and what it all means for current users and future users of Adobe’s tools. The video above from Studio B Films is a nice primer to what Creative Cloud is and what all you get for the subscription price. Bonus: The animation is made with Cinema 4D!

Subscription Only

It’s not all good news. For some existing users of Adobe Products, this new subscription only model may create more problems than it solves. These two great articles by Aharon Rabinowitz get into most of the problems and advantages of the new Creative Cloud model. There are still a lot of questions and we won’t know their answers until the new versions are out. But, I think these two articles address many of the concerns of current and future Creative Cloud customers and help give context on whether you should upgrade or not.

Upgrading

As for all of us here at Greyscalegorilla and many of the other freelancers here in the office, the decision to upgrade is pretty easy for one huge reason. The new Creative Cloud is the only way to get the new Cineware layer and Cinema 4D Lite. We are way too excited to play with these new tools more not to upgrade. Even in our brief time with it, we already know it will make Cinema 4D and After Effects more compatible then ever before. We have a lot of playing around to do and tutorials to make showing how all these new tools work. We also want to make some of our tools like Light Kit Pro and Texture Kit compatible with the new Lite Version so that it works with all flavors of C4D.

For me, it’s a mandatory upgrade. But I understand why many people are hesitant. Our studio probably has very different reasons for upgrading instantly than you do. But, The bottom line is, if you want to play with these new tools, you will need to upgrade. I’m sure that isn’t enough of an reason for everyone, but that is enough for us.

105  comments
  • Been using Creative Cloud in our offices since it launched. We have loved having access to all the new programs. More collaborative features were promised and have yet to come to light, but besides that we couldn’t be happier. $30-50/month rather shelling out thousands immediately was the only way we could operate.

• I think its good but also…scary. I mean if you colud OWN the soft after 3 years paying for it I would say “Its great!”..But if you cancel you are left with nothing!
      I mean…you wil have to pay FOREVER! And forever is a scary word 🙂

• I work in the marine industry and have to go offshore a lot. I have many times I cannot get internet service. This would kill my work.

• AcAnimate // Daniel June 4, 2013 at 1:12 pm

I’ve already jumped on board with the student membership of Creative Cloud and I’m simply loving it, I understand the reason why many people don’t like it, but I know for sure that I’ll keep using this service as long as it’s there :D.
    For me, the Cineware and the new AE / PS features were the ones that made me get the membership in the first place, but of course I’m happy with every single feature of CC ( So far, at least )

• as a freelancer – I’m not on board with this rent your tools model vs perpetual licensing. Thus is why I support efforts to re-imagine this idea of forced tool rental. —>

29,000 and growing fast.

• I signed it! I agree with your comment… Kudos to those who can afford it! I can’t, Honestly even if I could afford it i’d find it a bit redundant shelling 30 to 50 $ every month to big daddy Adobe-du-du.

• on the surface…it’s about new and updated software, cool cloud workflow utilities, cheap monthly plans….etc….but below the surface is where the problem lives…and that problem is where Adobe hasn’t ventured…ugh.

• signed too! this is milking politics! ? for example: I am using photoshop since version 1.0 and I admit the upgrades to the actual version was a lot of money, but when I get the calculator out and start converting the hole thing to the cloud-system … it is a fortune I would have spent!
      at the end the software company only want your money and this is a way to get the most of it!!!

• Okay, so you have (would have) _spent_ a fortune, but how much how you made using these tools?

I´m not at all without critique, but if you really need it, you buy it. Otherwise…well, that´s not really what we´re discussing.

• Micke, And how much LESS would that be to invest in other things? At this point in my career I would have spent nearly $14,000.00 just on RENTING my tools if I had to have gone into a subscription model when I started using Adobe design products (and that’s providing the cost never rose, which it will!). And I’m hoping to go twice that long in my career as a designer/Illustrator. And that doesn’t even cover the danger of falling on hard tomes and having your software turned OFF!

• Sure, Adobe has pissed off a few people but it makes business sense to go this route. It’s a good compromise to fight piracy without gouging customers. They need to pay their engineers somehow.

Me, I’m really looking forward Cineware layers. I’ve made a living off Adobe and I trust that my subscription money is going towards improving already great software.

• It is a monster gouge!!!..and its only the beginning.
      Low drug dealer price now…just wait till we’re all on.
      No upgrades, no breakes..just like the suite model.
      Buy the suite pay one giant price and you get nothing, illustrator acrobat and the rest very few advances.
      You can’t buy the tool, and if work is slow you just hang on and don’t upgrade, now EVERY MONTH a bill is coming at you or you don’t work! And working thru their cloud to share files…I think the 1984 Big Brother is at our door. Nothing moves without the clouds and Adobe.

• Of course it is. But Adobe have always been expensive. Again, if you don´t need it…don´t use it.

Look at it the other way, you only pay for it when you actually use it. If business is slow, you don´t have to pay.

The “problem” i see is that they´re actually doing this at a time when there won´t be that many new features.

But buy CS5.5 and stick with that (as i see it Cineware is quite useless, but that´s just my opinion)

• Trust…yeah I’ve learned that usually leads to being dissapointed. They are in the businees of making money not being your friend, even though they tell you they are your friend. 🙂

• This will not stop piracy. This will be [K]ed, most likely the day it’s released. This is about grabbing honest customer’s ankles and inverting them so cash continues to flow from the their pockets.

• From your lips to God’s ears!

I can’t wait to get a grip on a K’ed version (probably by the X-Force team)… Adobe now is just a bunch of greedy bastards taking the advantage of the situation where there’s no viable alternative for most of their stuff (i.e. AE).

“We have always known that heedless self interest was bad morals, we now know that it is bad economics.”
        ? Franklin D. Roosevelt

• I think this _will_ stop piracy. I think piracy will stop all together, I think we have a generation growing up realizing that “free” ain´t that great. It´s great when you get stuff, but it´s not that great when you yourself actually create.

Adobes next step will of course be not allowing rendering at all outside of the cloud, so you have to pay to get your stuff out.

And Nuke will take over…

• Nope it will not stop piracy. Greed and thievery are here stay, part of being human. Companies and individuals do it. We all need to watch eachother to control it.

• Piracy is wrong..but so is ripping hard working people off.
            How many of you had a crash deadline and had to jump to another computer you own only to realize you only have the software on the down machine and can’t install it on the working one. Or have gone and purchesed software that doesn’t make you a dime because it doesn’t work that great.

When times are slow one or two jobs can keep food on the table..but not if you have a bunch of clouds to feed FIRST!

• You cannot fight piracy this way. CC will be hacked in a couple of hours and the DRM stripped so it does not require a subscription any-more.
      It is probably going to be pirated even faster that CS when people that stop their subscription lose access to their files or when the DRM is buggy.

• Not if you are a business owner and do not want outside forces being able to shut off your software.

• The video was totally awesome 🙂

• Would this mean that hypothetically your company could allow you to work at home off of the same software license?

• adobe says u can install it on 2 computers, but you must officially own both those computers.

Like your desktop and laptop.

seems cloudy….

• Zachary Guidry June 4, 2013 at 3:31 pm

My understanding was that a license was for 1 user to use the software. It doesn’t matter if you install it at home and work or work desktop and laptop, as long as only 1 is used at any time. Does this “user license” change with Creative Cloud?

• No. The agreement is that you can install the CC software on two machines as long as you don’t have both machines running the software concurrently. So you can have a version at work and one at home. I am not aware of a rule that you have to own both computers and I’m not sure how Adobe could verify that.

• I’d like to see more options for pricing for:
    Production Suite
    Creative Suite.
    etc.

I don’t need the complete master set, please allow me a discount for not having everything!.

• I agree with this. I only use the Production suite and $49.99 is a steep price

• Here, here! I do use the subscription…because my old work were too tight to upgrade and it just wasn’t physically possible to compete as a graphic and digital designer whilst working on CS4, but Adobe could look into a tiered pricing structure.

Most of the mobile apps are terrible and things like Kuler are waaaaay too limited., but programs such as Muse and Edge Animate have a lot of promise, particularly for crude mock-ups of websites…and DPS tools for inDesign are very useful.

The issue of customer treatment is too large to go into, but yes they have a monopoly, but so do Apple – consumers have the power to change this. No one else.

• Capitalism is awesome so time will tell if Adobe’s mephistophelian plan works.

I’m probably too much of a caveman to understand why paying $50 each month (or in perpetuity is smarter than buying a moderately expensive product once.

Do you guys rent your cars too? Very savvy.

• I’m not saying it’s smarter to do it this way. I’m saying it’s the only option i’m given and I need their software for work.

• Please forgive the insulting tone of my previous post. I’m just becoming concerned by several big companies entering into plans that I don’t see as mutually beneficial for consumers.

It serves me right to have a typo up there. Thanks for the cool tutorials and seriously- my post was more childish than I intended.

• Kudos to you for voicing your opinion on this issue! Last time I checked if your in the USA it’s free to speak your mind… unless you P*** someone off then your post are censored.

• Well, almost everyone actually DO “rent” their car, from the bank or some other credit institute. I´d say this goes for like 95% of car owners, world wide.

You, yourself, when you work, actually do prefer making a steady monthly income, right? I guess that goes for people at Adobe to.

• I just wish there where Options! Please give us options.

I wil cancel my gym membership of $50 per month and use adobe creative cloud instead for my exercise.

• Hey Nick, needing the cloud for your work is understandable but, at the same time theres no need to rush into cloud rental so quickly. I do wish you would have taken a stronger stance remember you do have a choice. And thanks for all the tuts over the years . I did write to maxon about the cloud issue and the president actually wrote me back in support somewhat and offered to personally forward my issues with Adobe new rental policy. It should be noted that the agreement policy for the cloud is VERY one sided in Adobes favor. http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2013/20130508_1a-Adobe-legal-agreement.html

• Read that document on your blog, as everybody should do.
          Some of it seems to be standard, some of it (account info, update) is a slap in the face of the customer.

• I have to disagree with you Nick. It’s easy to say that Adobe can do want they want because own the software, but because Ps is now fundamentally a monopoly in the digital photo-editing tool set the problem is different to someone who lives down the road and sells lemonade.

This is a tool set that has become engrained into many freelancers kit bag with no appropriate substitute. Now adobe are saying essentially that you can only rent this service and buy it anymore. Taking away a service that has been a standard through all of the Adobe Products from the beginning. Adobe have industrial-economic responsibility at this level.

I think that they are being incredibly irresponsible at the moment having a sole form of distribution that only caters for a small part of there existing client base. I freelance at the moment and I have good months and bad ones and I tend to upgrade my software when I have good months. I a not keen to add more stress into my life on a month by month basis.

This idea of renting works on Netflixs and other similar services because their is the option to buy a film or TV series if you want. In this instance, I feel strong-armed into a way of operating that I am not particularly comfortable with, also with no real warning. Having been shocked into some sort of rage, yes I probably have been more vocal and felt more righteous in my response, but I do that there is a some substantial form of validity to my argument.

I believe that Adobe’s client base has done the right thing in these circumstances. They have been vocal in there unhappiness about Adobe’s new service and told them exactly why they are unhappy (yes, some have been more eloquent than others; but the important thing is that they have engaged in a discussion).

I’m sorry if this message comes across as overly aggressive, it is not intended that way, this is something that feel quite strongly about because the decisions over the next 12 months will influence how we work over the next couple of decades. I believe that there are two sides to this coin; with many valid arguments on either sides of the coin. With many points that aren’t expressed in this comment.

• There is no benefit to switch to CC. Pricing, monthly economic depency on CC. Rent only. “No product on the desk”. Cineware is nice but i guess the price is too high for this “goodie”.

• Jonathan Howard June 4, 2013 at 5:28 pm

I don’t understand why people are complaining about the price. Production Premium cost $1800 before tax. As a video professional I was able to subscribe for $30 per month several months ago. $30 x 12 = $360 per year, which, even if that subscription price bumps up to $50 per month will mean that the subscription model will have paid for itself for a few years to come. Plus the software does live on your desktop. You aren’t running it off the internet. You choose which apps you want to install and you have type your cloud password in once a month. That’s it. Lots of Wellsian paranoia going on here.

I’m VERY curious how many of these posters hacked their current versions of the software and are simply bummed that it’ll be harder to download an X-Force crack now?

• Well you fail to realize that not everyone needs the whole enchilda. Like you said it makes sense for YOU…at least for now. 🙂

• khary Tomlinson June 5, 2013 at 1:18 am

it actually doesn’t pay for its self if you don’t get the work to cover it where before we could stay a level down until we were comfortable enough to upgrade to a newer version i live in Jamaica $50 USD is a lot of money that translates to $5,000 Jamaican dollars as a freelancer there are months i don’t get any work at all what do i do then?

• well in my case I use Adobe software for 24 years:

$360/year x 24 years = $8’640

THATS A LOT OF MONEY FOR SOFTWARE!

• In Europe the pricing is much higher in comparison to USD. For me double in comparison to my old update costs etc.

You have no guarantee that they rise his pricing because they are the dealer and CC users are the poor freelance creative drug addicts.

We use Adobe products since 15 years. Creative Cloud is the biggest cheek in my opinion. Adobe rooks his steady customers in a never seen way since my career.

Shame Adobe

• If I am a first time purchaser (not upgrading!) Is it worth buying creative cloud over CS 6?

• Jonathan Howard June 4, 2013 at 5:34 pm

I’d download a trial first to see if the tools are right for you before committing to anything. If you already know the tools and you know you’ll need them, I’ve been using the subscription service for months and like it just fine and would recommend it. I don’t look at it like a rental. I look at it like a payment plan that includes upgrades. Kind of like leasing I guess.

• So I’ve read like 300 different articles on this topic and compared a lot of different oppionions on this by different designers on the web. For me, personally, it’s pretty hard to get the money to pay the adobe cc fee monthly due to the fact that I work like 24/7 for the university and got not really any time to work besides my education. But I guess my opinion isn’t that relevant, simply because I don’t make my living out of these tools. (well, not yet)

But what I am interested in is, if it’s possible to pay the monthly fee without a credit card? Like using PayPal or my normal bank account? Because Iam a normal Student without any bigger income of money, I don’t need neither want a credit card yet.

So are you not able to rent the CC subscription when you don’t have a credit card?

• Let’s face it – Adobe has a terrible track record of innovation & bug fixes. There have been the same persistent bugs in AE for YEARS. The thing has been in need of an overhaul for ages and hardly anything changes from release to release. Heck, it took Andrew Kramer (we love him, but he’s small beans compared to Adobe) to actually make a 3D solution for it. My position: they don’t do enough for us already and a subscription model will just permit them to do even less. Maybe The Foundry will step up to the plate and provide some modern tools… (I can dream, can’t I?)

• Jonathan Howard June 4, 2013 at 5:36 pm

The Foundry has provided modern tools. They cost $8000 for NukeX and $5000 for Hiero. Mari isn’t exactly pennies and only runs on Linux. The Foundry isn’t trying to appeal to nearly the same consumer base as Adobe.

• Well let’s see… Blender keeps getting better and better and, dare I say it, is a great alternative to C4D or 3DS Max. And it’s free! My point?…I’m sure if Adobe decides to limit access to its products and put many of its users in a corner, more and more people will work on improving open source alternatives that will rival Adobe’s products.

I think Adobe’s real problem is that they are coming to an end of ground breaking development for their products that they have to make strategic alliances and offer everything they have for a monthly fee to keep users coming back.

• its the wave of the future.in my option its also a way to combat the millions of dollars lost to torrents.i will update when i see it all play out a little. till than i will enjoy the programs i have($$small mortgage loan to buy$$)thanks peeps.

• Wowee, looks like Paul Clements has done it again 🙂

• For me and the company I am working for, CS6 will be the last product from Adobe for the foreseeable future. The subscription model is out of the question. It has tax issues, it has reliability issues, it has comfort issues. The fact that you can’t use the software should you decide not to pay the monthly subscription is a no go. Although you have the psd-files on your hard drive you can’t open them because the software forbids it. You can’t train yourself and get better without a monthly fee. And who knows which compatibility issues will arise in the future? The new features like Cinemaware can’t make up for the inexplicable downside of the payment model.

Should Adobe go in the direction of Maxon with their service agreement, we could talk business again as this allows you to use the software you legally bought. This is an essential asset. If Adobe doesn’t react somewhat quickly to that, then open source or other tools will be evaluated and perhaps used from then on.

• I was about to write exactly the same thing. I can only underline the concern that if I do not pay the monthly fee that I do not have access to my own work. A NO GO!

• Firstly why are the promo videos from Adobe these days all 3D when they don’t make 3D software.

Secondly this is terrible for the industry, once Adobe has us all on subscription pay then there is no reason for them to innovate at all as they get paid either way.

• Users must have the best possible internet connection to think about using photoshop or indesign (and video applications too) in any cloud environment.
    My latest indesign package was about 800-900 MB heavy.
    Changing photos and distributing files over internet must be a real pleasure…

On the other hand, paying a monthly fee for the application package and being always up to date with the latest software release might be ok.
    I see one problem… we used to buy the software boundled with the computer using a leasing, now this will be impossible.

PS we already have such an arrangement with Microsoft – for a monthly fee we can always count on the latest release of the entier office suite for I think about 10 computers.

• Let me put it another way. If Adobe released the CC as a physical copy for $360 annually, there would not be a single complaint from the community.

Obviously that’s impossible to do due to the costs of manufacturing the physical product, but just to put things in perspective. You are still able to use the product, I don’t get the hangup of not having a big shiny box with Adobe on it being such a problem.

If you were seriously to buy it and then not use it for months on end, or even years, then maybe you don’t need it. Maybe you just need to hire freelancers who have it. This seems to be a complaint, that if you stop paying, you won’t be able to open and edit the files months/ years later. In what situation does a physical product help? Given that you would have had to pay thousands for it initially, so therefore could afford the monthly subscription. Or could afford to renew your subscription for a month to edit them.

I’m sorry but that just does not make sense as a valid complaint.

• As far as I understood it, you can’t use the software when you stopped paying the monthly license fee. So I am not (!!!) still able to use the product. That is what I was said over and over at shows presenting the new features. In other words: Yes it is a big deal. I don’t care for DVDs or shiny boxes, but I want to make sure I can use the software when I stopped paying for it. Because then, I don’t have a choice anymore.

• …Because ‘otherwise’ I don’t have a choice anymore….

• I refer you to my previous rebuttal though. Whilst ostensibly I can see the point, the fact that the physical product is so expensive negates this issue.

The issue as I understand it is that previously, you would pay a one-off fee of thousands of pounds for a physical product. You would use it for a few months, before not using it again for months or even years. Then, when you want to edit a file however many months or years in the future, you can… but you can’t if you switch to Creative Cloud.

Simply opt in and out of paying subscription. Restart all those months in the future when you need to edit. Stop / start all the time if you like. It would take an astonishing amount of time, paying for the odd few months here and there, to come *close* to the cost of the original physical product.

This simply isn’t a problem. And this, to be honest would be such a singular case – who pays thousands of pounds to use these programs just once and then occasionally every few months over a number of years? – that it’s not really fair to criticise Adobe for not catering for it. That’s besides the fact that I think they are catering for it – because anyone who pays for the physical product and uses it so infrequently would be far better off opting in and out, both financially and creatively as every time they come to edit their old work, they’ll be using the latest updated version of the software.

The other alternative, as stated, would be to hire a freelancer who owns CC to edit the work for you.

• Possibly. But the cost factor is not that relevant, because the upgrade price, which our company was offered was significantly and by far smaller than the full price for the suite itself when buying anew. We paid 1000 Euros for two upgrades (Master and Design & Web Premium). The CC would only be 150 Euros cheaper (looking at the day to day prices). But: for the 150 Euros more, we can use CS6 indefinitly if we like, and can open our files even in 5 years to our liking without anybody paying for it. Perhaps some people don’t have problems with that, I do.

See it like this: The control how to use the software is now owned by Adobe and not you anymore, as the licence is not indefinitly any more. Prices could change, options could change, payment methods could change, all out of your control if you hop on the CC wagon and you have to eat it from then on.

Taxes: The software is not part of your asset anymore, therefore you can’t put it in your tax balance, at least that’s what I’ve been told.

Sorry, this is to much loosing control. But, as long as it is OK with you, then just go for CC.

• I’m confused with the backlash here. The world is moving towards a digital streaming, no hard copy approach. Look at itunes, Spotify, Netflix. Hell we already had the option to download full programs of recent CS packages.

If you move with the times, at all, then you would be upgrading say every 2 cycles. So from CS3, you’d wait till CS5 comes out.
    Then you’d shell out thousands of pounds for the upgrades (or if you waited longer than 2 cycles you probably wouldn’t be able to upgrade and would have to buy the new package) and in another 2/3 years you’d repeat the process.

Someone above worked out $8,640 over 24 years for software and said that’s a lot of money. It isn’t. Its hardly anything. If you’ve been buying adobe software every few years over that time, you’ve easily spent that. Probably far more. However this is a bit of a daft example, skewed in my favour, because there’s no accounting for inflation which will invariably affect that calculation.

You might get it through a reseller or you might get a second hand version I guess. But I suspect a lot of these complaints are because so many of us have either used, or encountered use of cracked copies. Come on, let’s be honest here. When I was a student I couldn’t afford any of the Adobe products. Hell, when I first went freelance I couldn’t have afforded a few grand for the suite. What were my options? a) Do without or b) Use a pirated version until I could afford it. Then, perfect timing, CC launched and I’ve had it since day one. Its been easy to install, update and use.

Companies I’ve worked at that have updated to CC have had much better working models as projects are shared between workstations – no more of the – ‘Oh did you work on it in CS5? I only have CS3 here’ aggravating situations.

This model makes perfect sense. I guess anyone complaining about it only buys DVDs, CDs, doesn’t stream digital tv and movies and doesn’t download games to their console.

This is the way things are going, and if you look at the positive side of things, it means cross functionality will improve dramatically. For example, no longer will there be issues of me having a newer version of the CS suite whilst working with an Editor who has an older version.

Art should thrive in this new environment as people will spend less time trying to save legacy versions and figure out who gets to use the one copy of Illustrator in the office today. Instead of planning who sits where in a office with multiple copies of various versions and creative suites, we’ll be able to just get on with what we want to do. We will all have access to the latest versions of a great software with the latest updates rolled out (hopefully) regularly.

And there won’t be the issues of needing to upgrade to the new suite, then trying to find the old serial numbers for a legacy version of one of the Suites, which was bought before you were employed by a company. If you’ve ever had the hassle of spending days doing this sort of mind numbing admin, you’ll understand. Those are days lost that you could spend making cool stuff.

And so I don’t have a big box with CS something labelled on it, sat on my desk? I also don’t have a cupboard full of old boxes of the CS software long since outdated, gathering dust.

Bit of a ramble, but I think for the price this is a fantastic bargain. And I’m saying that from the UK – where we are getting a raw deal since we’re paying the same price but with a Pound sign in front instead of a Dollar. You want to complain about something? Equal pricing for consumers around the world would be a good start.

As a freelancer in the UK I am in a fortunate position because I am earning enough to pay for a years subscription with a few days work. And I think that’s well worth the cost. However to paraphrase something I saw on a forum recently, I could have afforded this in a crappy call centre job. $50 a month is just not that much money for the tools you are able to access. I honestly cannot see how the people complaining here about price can figure the cost doesn’t work in their favour, unless they were only upgrading every four or five years. In which case I would suggest that you use the latest hard copy for the next four or five years. Save the money that you must have saved in the past to afford the upgrades, and then move to CC. You’ll find it far more economically sound than thousands of pounds outlay today for something out of date within six months.

• I think a lot of people are overlooking the biggest problem with mandatory migration to CC: Perpetuity. What in the world to you do if business get slow and you can’t afford the payments? What do you do when you begin to retire? We are being asked to contribute thousands over time to rent the software (just like we have for upgrades for all these years) but then be left out in the cold if and when you can’t afford payments because you no longer have access to the tools and therefore your work.

Make no mistake about it. By the time some of us get to the day where business is slow or we are retiring, CS6 will no longer be useful in modifying or even possibly even opening existing work created with CC, and CS6 will be eventually be antiquated in terms of creating new work. When I and others first brought this issue up with Adobe, their response was that there will be backwards compatibility from CC to CS6 indefinitely (just 2 weeks ago they said that). They appear to have now backtracked on that position.

Quoting Mala Sharma Adobe VP from a news article yesterday: “The community is telling us is that what we have in place today – where you can export from your CC apps to CS6 – is not an acceptable solution…”

So what does this mean? First: This issue must be dealt with or large numbers of us just will not sign up. If you think it doesn’t matter to you personally, imagine yourself in those circumstances I mentioned someday. I don’t know about you, but that terrifies me and a lot of other developers agree. (The exceptions might be people that work for a large enterprise or school district or if you’re independently wealthy.) There are lots of positive suggestion coming from the community including a “loyalty” term of say 5 years subscription at which point you would be able to access files created up to the point with the software without further payments for example.

Second: The good news is that Adobe appears to understand this issue and why it’s a game changer for its customers. Again quoting Mala Sharma Adobe VP: (relative to backwards compatibility) “There are other ideas and expectations that customers have that we are actively discussing internally – but more importantly with our advisors and customers (on the forums).” We’ve been told to wait, soon there will be an announcement in this regard. I strongly recommend to anyone interested to pay attention to exactly what they say, it matters profoundly to all of our careers.

Speaking for myself, I don’t see much value in CC for me other than what Nick has already pointed out. Cineware appears to be a fantastic development, I’m very excited about the improved workflow. And I’m willing to migrate to Adobe’s cloud to get it. But NOT without a solution to the perpetuity issue.

BTW, I love this site, appreciate the forums and tutorials and have purchased many of the GSG products.

• I think most of the questions have been already answered here regards how this would change our daily work, but I think there is an issue that must be also addressed which for me is more like sci-fi: Our interaction with the web, our identity and personal data collection.
    Some people here spoke about the “the world is moving towards a digital streaming”, etc, but what those this mean? Will my unpaid parking tickets stop me from making phone calls? As I said this is being paranoid, and is a governmental-multinational scenario which is even less likely, but aren’t we allowing the world to move this way? And after all isn’t data the most valuable asset in the financial market today?
    If you let them have some, they will want all.

• I am willing to pay for my software to own it rather to rent it and own nothing then a licence. and when I stop paying … I have nothing at all except a bunch of monthly bills.
    CC is more expensive at the end then buying … that is very obvious!

• It’s all about increasing revenue and locking people into the product. Adobe obviously think they’ve saturated the market enough and have optimum numbers hooked to risk this policy. Buy anything on HP and it’s more expensive…

In the worst case scenario it’s a 300% increase in cost, perhaps more…

A lot of companies will switch to other options. They are plenty of alternatives and many are free and not bloatware (hello Photoshop!) Plenty of time with the older versions for the transition to work!

I mean some companies are still using CS4!

Could be a liberating process for users and an own goal for Adobe.

• There is also one thing you have to keep in mind: If Adobe is going to be successful with their business strategy, other companies might be about to follow. So, get ready for monthly payments for your operating system, your office suite, your 3d application and what else you use on a regular basis. That might all sum up about 150-200 USD a month.

This is a scenario that MIGHT happen in the future…but I do not want that to become reality.

• As a Final Cut 7 user (released in 2009), I see nothing that could possibly go wrong.

• How about that video, huh guys? I’m curious how long a piece like that takes from concept to completion. Something that fresh but it would take me months and is both inspiring and discouraging at the same time.

• My biggest is that I am retired. I use Photoshop for retouching and restoring photo’s. I do this for friends and sometimes for a few bucks. I do have the CS6 Suite. I am aware I can continue to use this as long as I want and my hardware and other software supports it. I have a lot of nice add ons that are great. But eventually they will be upgraded and will no longer work with CS6. I occasionally use Illustrator, Dreamweaver and InDesign. I am on the fence about going with CC, as I am on a somewhat fixed income. So if I do upgrade and stop paying I lose my applications at that point. Not nice.
    I worked in the software business for 24 years. We licensed our business management package, and it was similar to what Adobe is doing now, not in the Cloud, but if the customer needed support or upgrades they had to pay, it was our recurring revenue so we could pay rent, our support staff, programmers etc. We tried to cut off one of our customers that didn’t pay for 3 months, by shutting their systems down. Well long story short we were told we could not do that. We could stop providing support, bug fixes and upgrades, but couldn’t take away the system. In effect Adobe would be shutting down your business if the took away your software.
    I do hope they come up with a way to leave you with the applications if you decide to stop paying them and are still able to work with they images you have created up to that point.

• In the short run, this will be great for me. Paying a monthly fee and instantly having access to all of Adobe’s latest software, this is very attractive.

However, if BMW were to use this business model, eventually someone would build a Porsche. 🙂

• Both are cars and they bring you only from A to B.
      Relevant is: whats in between and what you pay for service and maintenance (monthly) ;D

• Well, in fact I’am very tired of Adobe products. They are really bad coded and every new version is a pain in the ass more than a exiting solution. Look Illustrator, Photoshop and Indesing (somebody still remember Flash) all them have become ridiculous. And what about Premiere, it is simply a joke, isn’t it? And After Effects, the most acclaimed and the less professional software I know.

So thanks Adobe for the move because it makes me move too.

• It’s hilarious to read all the odd angry replies on this subject. Like the guy above ‘Illustrator, Photoshop and Indesign’ have all become ‘ridiculous’. Listen buddy, perhaps if you were a professional and didn’t get your software off filesharing sites and torrents, your software wouldn’t be ‘ridiculous’. Seriously, if you can’t make or benefit $50 freaking dollars a month off their products, then you really don’t need them, as simple as that.

• Final Cut Pro X / Motion / Vegas Pro / Media Composer / Smoke / Flame /
      Nuke / Fusion / QuarkXPress / Corel Draw / Inkscape / PaintShop Pro /

I don’t know, but this is what I am heading to… suggestions…

• Finally, the biggest issue here is keeping Adobe in business in a world where EVERYONE expects EVERYTHING for free! I know mograph companies, design studios and even some decent sized ad agencies in NYC that steal all their Adobe products. Everyone who freelances here can see that. And a very high percentage of users do as well. So again, the hobbyests can find another solution, but I NEED Adobe to stay in business. There are no other serious alternatives at this point, and I speaking specifically about Photoshop-Illustrator-Indesign-AfterEffects, and anyone who says so is not a professional. Stop trolling.

• Final Cut Pro X / Motion / Vegas Pro / Media Composer / Smoke / Flame /
      Nuke / Fusion / QuarkXPress / Corel Draw / Inkscape / PaintShop Pro /

I don’t know, but this is what I am heading to… suggestions…

sorry for posting it twice 🙂

• Always (and automatically) getting the latest upgrades might sound nice, but what about plugin-heavy applications like After Effects?

Let’s assume I’m on CC and have After Effects CS6 now – plus Magic Bullet Suite ($ 800) and Trapcode Suite ($ 900) and a few others. Now Adobe auto-updates me to CS7 and almost $ 2.000 worth of plugins are broken, useless due to lack of compatibility with that new version. How long does it take for Red Giant to offer upgrades to their plugins? And as there is no plugin subscription – how much will these upgrades cost?

Sorry, Adobe – too many unanswered questions here.

• Hi GSG team, any tips on how the effect on min 2:20 was done ? those sticks coming out of the screen looks great. Thank you guy’s for all the great work.

• This is more about a company with a virtual monopoly taking advantage of its market position than the narrow-sighted “only $50 a month!” argument. Think about other utility companies – Who doesn’t love their electric, cable & phone providers? So full of innovation and excellent customer service…not. When they have you by the balls, they will do whatever they please – guaranteed. This is not comparable to Netflix or other subscription models because they have competition/alternatives and you don’t rely on them to make a living. Adobe would never consider this kind of model if there was competition in the space.

• The cloud deal breaks down like this.

I will pay Adobe $50.00 bucks a month for the rest of my working life and Adobe will provide the best development software anywhere on the planet. I will continue to support my family using Adobe products and Adobe will continue to pay very smart people to create very smart solutions that will amaze my clients and keep work fun.

If either of us fail in this commitment, we will get a divorce and I will find a younger, better looking technology company to pay my $50.00 a month to.

Subscription based service is here to stay.

• You won’t ever be able to get a divorce…unless you are ready to watch your files die. You’ll be locked out and Adobe will have the key.

Your statement is simply inaccurate and fails to apprehend where this is going.

• The backlash will come in one year from now. When a lot of subscribers start to realize that unsubscribing means losing all your hard work. Unless you want to flatten all your files to TIFF on only 30 days before the subscription ends.

Also the weak point in this CC model the DRM. One failure or bug in the software and thousands of CC users could be blocked from their CC applications for days. Look what happened to the SimCity 2013 launch?

• I think after 1 year if you discontinue your membership. Adobe should let you keep what you have. “without any upgrades in future”

rent to own.

• Hey guys, I’m still on Photoshop 1.0. How will this affect me? I’m debating whether I should join CC or stay with Photoshop 1.0? Please help!

• Of course not, as I am living in a country with stupid service providers with limited internet speed and bandwidth.

So, if I ever decide to go for CC.. my entire projects and schedules are in the service provider’s hands..

They could decide that I have to submit my artwork (1 week after the due date), because of “making the internet better for you maintenance”.

• Yes me too. totally agree with you, CC maybe is for someone who doesn’t have any problem with their internet speed and bandwidth, but how about another country that have a really bad internet provider? meh.

• Jane Selle Morgan June 11, 2013 at 2:02 pm

So we hired Paul Clements who was one of our designers on this, but this piece was produced @ Studiobfilms in Berkeley, CA.

Can y’all link to our Vimeo to attribute to the Studio that produced it?

thanks!

• Thanks for the heads up. I updated the text link to your Vimeo page, but your video isn’t available for embeds on other sites, so I will leave theirs up instead.

• This is fucking bad idea, i’m from east Africa, it is not that easy to get network everyday which means that i will no longer use adobe products in next few years.
    This is going to be only westerners softwares, i think adobe is going to lose douzens of customers around the world and Hitfilm is going to rise and shine, i even bought it just to start learning it , because i’m going to leave alone Adobe.

• To American, it costs USD50,
    I will subscript if I earn USD…
    But I’m not, to me it’s RM150+ per month!
    U earn USD 3000, u paid USD50,
    but in Malaysia, U earn RM3000, u need to pay RM150!
    I really can’t afford it…..
    neither to the NGO council where I’m working now…

• Almost 34,000 folks have signed.They don’t like Adobe CC licensing.Show @Adobe how you feel. https://www.change.org/petitions/adobe-systems-incorporated-eliminate-the-mandatory-creative-cloud-subscription-model

Another more fiscal way to show @Adobe you dont like the CC licensing scheme.http://adobe2014.tumblr.com #adobe2014

• The internet is changing everything. This is just something we didn’t see coming and we’re confused. No one likes change unless it gets us something for free.
    I’m torn on the pros and cons like everyone else, but I do use quite a few applications, DW, ID, PS and PR, on a near-daily basis. All my work was built on these platforms and I’m not likely to switch to some cheaper alternative.
    I’ve been using Photoshop since it was called Aldus PhotoStyler (wow) and will probably keep using it for the next twenty years. That works out to $12,000 at $50/month. Maybe they’ll start offering old-timers loyalty discounts.
    I say get on the bus or get off, and stop whining about it.

• Will Greyscale gorilla plugins be compatible with the adobe creative cloud?