How To Start A User Group In Your Town
I’ve talked a lot about the importance of local user meet-ups, so I decided to invite the founders from two of the largest Chicago animation user groups to talk about how they got started, how they run the event, and if they have any advice to someone that is trying to start a user group in their town.
It’s easy to argue that Local user groups and meet-ups are the best way to meet other people who are into what you are doing. It’s a great place to find work and friends in the industry. So many artists are stuck at the “I am pretty good at what I do” stage, but fail to get out and meet the people that will start and eventually make their career.
Some Take-aways from the interview
- If your home town doesn’t have a user group, start one! It’s easier than you think.
- Get like minded people in a room. It can be that simple.
- Use existing social platforms like Facebook and Twitter to organize an event.
- If your town DOES have a meet-up, go!
- Hanging around other people that do what you do is a great way to start to get a job doing what you like doing.