Posted In: ProductsGreyscalegorilla
We are very excited to announce the latest update to our animation plugin Signal!
Version 1.5 brings some really awesome new features and bug-fixes. Most notable is the new BPM (Beats Per Minute) functionality. We hope you check out all the feature videos and see for yourself how Signal can improve your animation workflow.
Already own Signal?
Good news, you have access to Signal 1.5 right now! Just log into the customer area here and begin your download.
Don’t Own Signal? Let’s Change That!
Go grab it! But hey, don’t take our word for it. Look at what some Signal users have said about this update.
Signal’s BPM features deliver something that has been missing from Cinema since the birth of MoGraph
Greyscalegorilla’s recent BPM addition to Signal is a complete Game Changer. What would take an animator endless hours of keystrokes and key frames now takes a click, drag and your choice of tempo.
It’s the must have plugin for every animator using Cinema 4D.
Charlottesville VA native and talented C4D freelancer David Ariew recently traveled to outer space. David was not truly in the stratosphere, but he did create an amazing music video for “A Bad Think” created entirely in C4D with Otoy’s Octane Renderer.
David also used one of our tools, which made us very proud. David used Signal to help him with all those beautiful flickering lights. Here is what David had to say about his experience with Signal:
“I really wanted to create a run-down looking space station to complement the melancholy vibe of the song, and having the lights flicker both brought life into the static scenes and created a moody feel. GSG Signal allowed me to create that animation procedurally, with no keyframes, and there’s even a flicker preset under the Signal scripts folder! Then it was just a matter of linking the power of the light to the blank Signal tag, and increasing the strength and variation until the power hit the zero mark on occasion.”
David was also nice enough to record a quick video demonstrating his blinking light technique with Signal and Octane.
You can learn more about our Signal Plugin here.
Attention HDRI Studio Rig Customers:
Update to HDRI Studio & Browser to version 2.142
- HDRI Studio’s Icon can be double clicked in the Object Manager to open HDRI Browser quickly.
- New “Show all” feature in HDRI Browser to view every single HDRI in your collection at one time.
- HDRI Browser remembers all settings when layout is saved
- HDRI Studio and Browser are now compatible with Cinema 4D’s Take system so you can quickly iterate through different looks.
- In R18 HDRI Browser loads the low-res version of the selected HDRI into the viewports “Environmental override” channel. This allows a realtime preview of the HDRI in the viewport when OpenGL with Reflections is turned on.
- HDRI Browser can be linked to remote “Packs” folder via the “Change Directory” option. This allows for a large collection of HDRIs to live on a different drive and for multiple versions of C4D to share the same folder saving you from having to duplicate potentially tens of gigabits worth of HDRIs
- R18 Reflective floor bug fixed
HDRI Expansion Pack Customers note:
In this update you may notice that your HDRI Expansion pack names have changed and now match what is found in our online store. We apologize in advance if this change causes any missing texture errors, however they are easily remedied by re-selecting the appropriate HDRI in the Browser. This new naming system will allow for us to create a better on-going experience for our customers.
SHARING YOUR PROCESS
I believe sharing your process is one of the most important things you can do as an artist. Giving away your secrets and techniques will propel your own work forward at a rapid pace. Doing this will make you want to push yourself to come up with new techniques and not become repetitive or do what everyone else is able to do. Sharing your process for how you create your work will help our industry grow. In addition to this other artists will look to you for your expertise and you will stand out in the industry. What more could you ask for!
I am very proud to post Motionographers Step by Step: Locked And Loading article. Motionographers new “Step by Step” series take us through the artist’s process in real time while they create their work. It is a fantastic educational tool that really shows us inside the mind and process of the artist while they are creating.
I was extremely excited when they approached me to be this month’s artist on Motionographer and leaped at the opportunity. The most recent series I have been creating has easily been the most tutorial requested series of mine and I thought this would be a great way of sharing with everyone my entire process. I show you step by step how I created “The Buoy” animation.
Want to check out the tools I used? Take a look at the links below!
Maxon Cinema 4D
GSG HDRI Studio
GSG HDRI Link (Coming Soon)
Adobe After Effects
During my process I also show how I use Greyscalegorilla tools including HDRI Studio, Signal as well as the upcoming HDRI Link in creating my animation. These 3 tools have become must have tools for me as I have used them in almost every project over the past year. I hope you all enjoy and learn from my process!
We want to make a special thanks to Motionographer for creating another tool for artists to learn from and reaching out to Greyscalegorilla!
Topcoat 1.5 is out and it’s the best version of Topcoat yet!
New in Topcoat Version 1.5
- New Modifiers Tab displays Accurate Feedback.
- New Blurs section adds realistic blur effects to your textures.
- New Anisotropy effects give you that brushed metal look in seconds.
- New Vertical Layout option. Perfect for docking the interface in your Cinema 4D Layout.
- Texture Colors Can now be picked in the main interface.
- Instantly rename your layers by double clicking.
- Layers can be easily dragged to rearrange.
- Easily Solo Layers.
- Bump, blur, and mask presets can be right-clicked to add to other channels.
- Transparency Reflectance Channel can now be accessed and modified in Topcoat
- New “Invert Bump” button in Modifiers.
- New “Color to Bump” button in Modifiers.
- Easily add realistic and eye-catching reflectance and color to your scene with our new easy to use interface.
- Speed up the process of adjusting your render settings. Choose from over 14 Render Fast™ Presets included with Topcoat and get to your final render quicker.
- Add realistic worn textures to your objects with our new Blurs presets.
Topcoat 1.5 is a free update for current owners of Topcoat. Just go to the Updates Page to download the latest version.
Don’t own Topcoat yet? What are you waiting for? Learn more about Topcoat and Version 1.5 here and get your reflection and reflectance game rocking for your next C4D render.
All images are made with Topcoat and rendered using Physical Renderer and our GSG Render Fast™ Presets.
Don’t Just Take Our Word For It
Here is what some of our customers have to say about using Topcoat in their C4D workflow.
Topcoat is great for adding realistic wear and grunge layers that give objects that extra punch to look real. Mike Hjorleifsson – C4D Instructor and Freelancer
Reflectance got to be too complicated. Topcoat simplifies my life just like HDRI Studio did to help get the look I wanted. – Travis Turner – C4D Freelancer
I love HDRI Rig and Topcoat. The tools you provide are real time savers. – Jim Rodney – 3D Design Engineer
I have it docked in my layout, I use it so much. If my models don’t have the right reflectance, i’m always throwing on and layering a few things. It’s optimized well, too. – Ryan Daniels – Freelancer